Main
"How Soon Is Now?" voted #1 80's song
Posted on Thu, Feb 4 1999
by David T. <[email protected]>
Thanks to Nitin for the following (and thanks to Kimberly for the link):

Some months ago, a local San Francisco station "Channel 104.9", (format is 80s + popular 90s like Dave Matthews, etc.) asked its listeners to vote for the top "104.9" songs of the 80s. They counted them down this weekend. The results were pleasantly surprising:

5. Dexy's Midnight Runners "Come On Eileen"
4. The Cure "Just Like Heaven"
3. New Order "Blue Monday"
2. New Order "Bizarre Love Triangle"
1. The Smiths "How Soon is Now?"

What makes this so shocking is that although I have heard #s 5-2 ad infinitum on this station, I had NEVER heard any Smiths. These 80s type stations, who will play boatloads of the Cure, Depeche Mode, U2, and (only popular) New Order, are finally realizing that the Smiths deserve to top the list of best 80s acts.

As for HSIN, well, in 1989, WFNX, a decent alternative radio in Boston (which plays a heaping helping of the Mozzer whenever it can, it even once tricked all of Boston that it had a telephone interview with Morrissey scheduled on April 1, 1995 that got "cancelled" in the last minute - I'll admit, I was duped as well) called HSIN the best song of the decade then as well.

It's still unfortunate that for most popular stations, HSIN is the only song they play, if any, and it's not even my favorite Smiths song, but it's a start. The dedicated 80s format is getting very popular in US radio - we will only hear more of the Smiths in the coming couple of years.

Comments / Notes

two new order songs? i mean they're great, but two of them? i think i'd replace 'blue monday with 'transmission' or 'love will tear us apart'..yeah...IAN CURTIS!

state of emergency
- Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 13:23:18 (PST)

WFNX is one of the best "alternative/80s/whatever" stations I've ever heard. Unfortunately, I live in the NYC area and their radio's TRASH. I was at an 80s - themed club in Boston for New Years Eve and it was sponsered by FNX - not only did they play a Smiths song I'd requested, but they played two more. Keep it going, guys!
Swallow On His Neck
- Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 14:12:32 (PST)

Its very strange; just one song of The Smiths in the Top 104, and this on position No 1!
Jupp
Wuppertal - Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 05:08:35 (PST)

I couldn't help but laugh a little when I saw this. Is this a list where we're supposed to pick the song that doesn't belong? I wholeheartedly agree with the first four pics, but Come On Eileen is a bit of a stretch.
Seasick, yet still docked <[email protected]>
Atlanta - Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 13:17:27 (PST)

New Order sucks!!

I can believe I use to like them. I can bear to listen to them anymore.

rob
- Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 14:55:25 (PST)

what a fright! dexy's and the smiths are so close in proximity on this list that i just vomited.
vincent snyder
n.j. - Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 18:06:35 (PST)

The only time the cure was any good was before the "Kiss me, kiss me, kiss me" album...anything after sucks
pogue <[email protected]>
- Sat, Feb 06, 1999 at 10:00:55 (PST)

I remember when the cure first started Robert Smith said if the cure ever go top 10 they were gonna disband...I thought thats cool...make and destroy a good thing....ok....
Well the went top ten several times and never disbanded.

pogue <[email protected]>
- Sat, Feb 06, 1999 at 10:02:30 (PST)

I Agree that "How Soon IS Now?" is probably the most popular Smiths song. But it's the ONLY Smiths song represented out of 104 choices? Balderdash!!
What about gems like "Cemetry Gates" and "London", "Ask" and "There is a light...". No respect at all!! Though it is quite cool to be #1, this poll just shows how little the Smiths were actually heard OUTSIDE the clubs in the 80's. Everybody should hear those four songs I listed or any number of others they made. To have Dexy's Midnight Runners 5th ahead of even the littlest known least heard Smiths song is a down right travesty. I'd Choose "Handsome Devil" over "Come on Eileen" anyday!!

Tincar
- Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 21:26:38 (PST)

Its so funny to see such a fuss made about an irrelevant little chart like this. However, its disappointing to hear people's negative views on Dexy's, who were far closer in spirit to The Smiths than New Order or The Cure ever were. The passion and intelligence of Kevin Rowland's lyrics are so overlooked when it comes to assessing pop's great songwriters. And don't forget that Kevin leapt to Morrissey's defence and wrote to the NME in anger at their hypocrasy over the Morrissey at Finsbury Park/Union Jack fiasco.
Ryan
Manchester, UK - Wed, Feb 10, 1999 at 04:11:26 (PST)

Kudos Ryan from Manchester! I've always loved "Come on Eileen", and I'm not afraid to say it, damnit!!!
spinster
somewhere in Texas - Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 08:34:10 (PST)

About 12 months ago JJJ, an Australian radio station conducted a poll on the top 100 songs of all time. How Soon Is Now came in at 5. This is the only station in Oz that plays the Smiths and Moz. Though once again, it is limited to only a hand-ful of songs, mainly off Hatful of Hollow.
Akira (brando.nepean.uws.edu.au)
- Tue, Feb 23, 1999 at 05:09:09 (PST)

* return to Morrissey-solo