Main
"Smiths lack bass" - Asian Dub Foundation
Posted on Mon, Feb 1 1999
by David T. <[email protected]>
From lEElo*_*:

I was reading an Asian Dub Foundation interview from NME a few seconds ago and I came across a Smiths mention. Kinda surprising...I didn't even know Smiths fans were adf fans until I had a listen to their newest release, Rafi's revenge. web page:

http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~guywood/nmeinter.htm

quote:

In indie they think only guitar and vocals can convey emotion. The Smiths took the bass out of rock music. Mani from the Roses was good, Steven Hanley of The Fall is good, but most indie kids are missing out. And even big beat stuff now is just programmed indie - where's the bass?

Comments / Notes

Ever hear "I Know Its Over"? And you ask of "Bass"?
marc <[email protected]>
- Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 11:57:34 (PST)

What about "Barbarism begins at home"!?

Sven

Sven Keiselt <[email protected]>
- Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 13:19:31 (PST)

Andy Rourke was an exceptional bassist...."The Headmaster Ritual" has a smashing bassline as well..
Nate <[email protected]>
- Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 15:04:14 (PST)

Andy Rourke was indeed a terrific bass player (in particular listen to any of the tracks on Meat is Murder for confirmation) but I think when these people talk about "bass" they mean "dance music". And thank goodness they're right. The world has quite enough dance music if you ask me.
Matthew Bailey <[email protected]>
- Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 06:29:04 (PST)

i have to say the end of BARBARISM BEGINS AT HOME is one of my favorites when he starts jamming I often listen to it over and over...makes me want to go out and learn bass...maybe thats just me though
boyeastlikelytoo(Kakarot) <[email protected]>
- Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 10:44:42 (PST)

whatever...listening to just one smiths album will give a person more than enough proof the bass played a great (yet hardly ever mentioned) and perhaps integral part in smiths songs...even in the ballads...ESPECIALLY in many of the ballads! 'stretch out and wait', 'well i wonder', 'that joke isn't funny anymore'..and the list goes on...
state of emergency
- Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 22:57:14 (PST)

rourke was an exceptional bassist and this is somewhat of an understatement. at this very moment i am listening to "rank" and the bass at times is remarkable.
vincent snyder
n.j. - Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 18:51:15 (PST)

mmmm?? when he means "bass" does he mean that loud droning thudding sound that comes out of the speakers at clubs that gradually melts your brain to the point where you begin to like dance music?
I think,possibly, he does.
As a bass player myself - I would die a happy man if i felt I could play even half as good as Andy Rourke - which i cant, so i wont !

Jon <[email protected]>
UK - Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 08:47:51 (PST)

I don't think that ADF got the picture on this one. To say that The Smith's took the bass out of Rock is to miss that Andy was re-defining the art of bass in Rock. Truly, a tragic error. While Johnny Marr was mistifying guitarists with his incredible talent, Andy jumped in and mistified bass players everywhere by doing something that never had success before. Instead of playing along more with the drummer like bass players do, he played along with the guitarist and became a sort of "Lead Bass."
Javier Obregon <[email protected]>
Montclair,CA - Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 03:08:58 (PST)

Eeeeeeeeh.....The Smiths lack bass? Not really, no. OK, Mani (The Stone Roses) is even more magnificent but....well, Rourke's bass is a great deal of The Smiths songs. I feel that Marr is a genius, but his guitar would never be able to fill up the song on it's own. Rourke was a key member of The Smiths; saying that The Smiths lack bass is idiocy...really.
Rare Flower <[email protected]>
- Sat, Feb 06, 1999 at 08:02:35 (PST)

Asian RUT Foundation ...
Ciaran <[email protected]>
Bangor, Wales - Mon, Feb 08, 1999 at 03:40:08 (PST)

Anyone with a vague notion of playing the bass guitar will immediately recognize how creative Rourke was. As a bassist, I marvel at his sublime melodies. A truly subtle genious, not like Flea.
Nathan <[email protected]> (spider-pa044.proxy.aol.com)
- Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 11:50:58 (PST)

* return to Morrissey-solo