Main
Vote "Suedehead" on Feb. 5
Posted on Thu, Jan 28 1999
by David T. <[email protected]>
From Ian:

There has been much talk on the discussion board about an idea that all the Mozfans here to vote for a Morrissey video on MTV Total Request Live. The decision for the video is "Suedehead." So this is a post asking everyone who frequents this site to pitch in and vote for the Viva Hate classic on Friday, Feb. 5, before 3:30 PM.

Here's how to vote. Go to

http://www.mtv.com/mtv/tubescan/totalrequest2

and click on "Play My Song". Then scroll to the bottom of the page and vote under "Other". Or call the number 1-800-DIALMTV. And tell your friends to vote as well!

Comments / Notes

OK, let's do it. But if they don't play it, I say we request the Dead Kennedy's video for "MTV Get Off The Air", oh wait, there is no video for that song. Damn.
dumbass
- Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 10:36:17 (PST)

I don't know about that Total request show. If Mat Pinfield (120 minutes vj) were on there I think we would have a better chance of getting it played. Otherwise I'm sure we'll be "treated" to the latest from Boyzone or some crap.
jack
- Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 10:39:35 (PST)

Tsk tsk David. This is your vacation?
Suzanne <[email protected]>
Matt Pinhead's shiney scalp - Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 12:00:07 (PST)

I'd have to second dumbass's suggestion...even if there is no such thing, as a point of principle, we should still request the Dead Kennedy video.
Troubled Joe
- Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 12:42:00 (PST)

C'mon guys... You should know that these MTV "vote" things are all rigged!!!
Travis
- Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 14:18:31 (PST)

lets do this i think its worth a shot even if mtv does suck!
erica <[email protected]>
- Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 14:36:22 (PST)

This should be interesting to say the least. Why that old video? It should be realisticly something newer like 'Alma Matters' or 'The More You Ignore..' Still I'm in. Carson will blow his wad if it played, seeing how he opts for little tarts like his girlfriend on P.O.5. Haaa!
J.J. Harrier <[email protected]>
- Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 15:26:17 (PST)

You all may think it very odd of me, but wouldn't it be funny just to do this. I do not mean just that day, but that day and every day. If you have five seconds to spare, just out of the blue bombard MTV with requests for Moz songs etc. etc. Sooner or later one of two things will occur, 1) They will be irritated due to an increased amount in mail from "Moz" fans. (assuming they know to call him "Moz" Or 2) They will actually comply. Maybe it is me, but I like annoying people.
Rockabilly Rebel
- Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 15:46:51 (PST)

I can say your devotion is unmatched!!
Let me also say this:
MTV and Radio Stations throughout the world exist for one reason and one reason only...to make money. How do they make money you ask? Through sponsorship( commercials ). The sponsors run the show. Have you ever noticed the only music played is "popular" music? That is what the sheep consume and the sheep buy the sponsors' products.
That being said, I will gladly join in the campaign, but would bet a substantial sum of money that the only way a MOZ vid will make that show is if he somehow has a "popular" hit at some point down the road.
I wish us all well but please don't quit your job to watch tele on 2/5!!

logic
dublin - Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 17:57:25 (PST)

I know there is a huge doubt as to whether or not MTV would play Morrissey even if that was their only request, but we have to give it a good fighting shot. The idea of sporadically voting for his videos is also a good one. Maybe MTV will take a hint at some point and know that there is a whole market out there that they are not reaching. Thanks to all who participate!
VWchc <[email protected]>
- Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 18:03:41 (PST)

Jolly good fun but, at what time would this particular episode air? I'd hate to vote for this monumental event and miss it!
W.H. Smith <[email protected]>
- Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 18:18:01 (PST)

that's a great idea. I think we should all get involved and do it. If it works out, we should do it like every first Friday of the month.
Maxwell Smart
- Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 20:05:45 (PST)

although i cannot add anything new to what's already been posted, i must voice my support to a great cause - suedehead feb 5!
mozzerXTC <[email protected]>
- Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 21:01:33 (PST)

Okay, okay, I'm in! Reason being - I loathe MTV, and Carson. Come to think of it, I hate all of those useless and shiftless employee's at MTV, heh, heh. Just think, if we wreak enough havoc maybe, just maybe Moz will hear of this madness...

Viva Morrissey!

Tony the Pony <[email protected]>
- Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 21:10:34 (PST)

I am all with Rockabilly Rebel. I believe that if a large enough group of us kept doing something like that maybe MTV would take notice. I would be so gratifying to see MTV give in and give us our just dessert.
Robert <[email protected]>
El Paso, TX - Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 22:28:21 (PST)

I have had this idea for a long time now. Well a little differant anyway...since i am on aol i had planned to look up all the moz fans with aols profile finder ....then i would ask them to vote that way.I dont think we should vote for suedehead though,lets vote for a lesser known moz song, a newer one.....either that or november spawned.....oh what would they make of it....good music, they would be baffled.
Neko in a Tutu <[email protected]>
NY - Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 22:56:36 (PST)

I just hope we can compete with the demographic hordes of brainless preteens duped into worshipping talentless pin-up creations of jaded and cynical corporate whores.

Howard
- Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 01:00:32 (PST)

If everyone hates MTV and this "Carson" person so much, why don't you just watch your own copy of 'Suedehead' on your own VCR? Do you really want to sell Morrissey over to the masses?
I'd rather keep him to myself. It would be a shame if Morrissey were in regular rotation with "talentless and pin-up creations of jaded and cynical corporate whores." There really is no point in that. If those are the requirements to be seen on MTV, then he should never be seen there.

Carson <[email protected]>
- Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 05:26:41 (PST)

okay ... could someone explain to me ... i voted for the song, then was taken automatically to the presumably "results" page...and suedehead is not even mentioned?

aw go on tell me it's me, it's late, am i being supremely ignorant here?

julie <[email protected]>
oz - Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 06:50:39 (PST)

answers to a few questions
when you go to the results page there are no results for suedehead because it has not been voted for enough...if every song that got voted for at least once was on there the page would go on for quite a bit.........

as for why we want it on mtv...I think the reason I do is well first off I have never seen the suedehead video....secondly it would be interesting see if we can even get on the results list...let mtv know that there are other audiences out there besides the teen pop one.....

as for him going up against "talentless and
pin-up creations of jaded and cynical corporate whores" I would be more then happy to have him on there....think of all those kids that might actually get to here music with soome soul...yeah sure most of them will probably reject him but if we pull even 10 people to the "dark side" won't it be worth it???

oh and I do believe you can vote more then once...just make sure you use a different name..

moz fans unite and take over!!!
kakarot

boyeastlikelytoo(Kakarot) <[email protected]>
- Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 07:38:41 (PST)

I Agree THat We DO This, because I Am What u would CAll A "teeN" MORRISSey Fan And Havent seen A ny of his Videos WHich I hear they only play on mtv2 Once In a while. Im GOnna vote for it whenever i have the chance, Including Feb.5th!!
C.A <[email protected]>
cali - Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 12:14:46 (PST)

Besides, Carson, Morrissey never managed to "break through" to the teenybopper crowd when MTV aired his videos in the late 80s, so why should one showing of an old clip make a difference? Humor us, MTV.
Swallow On His Neck
- Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 14:38:11 (PST)

this is a fantastic idea to at least show something different besides 24 hours of @#!!! metal like korn and limp kizkit and actualy play some music that means something to people. so everybody vote on feb. 5 vote. there is also no limit so keep voting.
omar <[email protected]>
- Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 19:04:27 (PST)

I hate MTV. It should be called
N-TV because they only play rap and r&b.
Where is the good taste man?????????????
Morrissey is god and they play videos by
gangsters like 2pac and snoop something.
how inmoral.
You can figure out what N-TV stands for

danny <[email protected]>
- Sat, Jan 30, 1999 at 10:04:27 (PST)

You people really really make me sick...You sound like a bunch of college students.. With you stupid quotes...actually...the quotes from morrissey or smiths music..make up your own..You honestly have the desire to see morrissey on MTV of all places..The place for the teen angst poster children of the world.
I'm just sick..I'm gonna puke..

ParticleMan
- Sat, Jan 30, 1999 at 13:42:38 (PST)

I will definitely be voting for suedehead. I will vote for it as many times as I can in my spare time on Friday. This is a worthwhile cause and I think that it would be a small victory against MTV if we can do it. For future collaborations, I think that the "Everyday is like Sunday" video is the best. Vote early and often!
joe <[email protected]>
- Sat, Jan 30, 1999 at 17:01:32 (PST)

Im a little confused on how to do this... I've visited the MTV thing on how to vote and that seems easy enough.. I just dont understand if we can vote anytime that day before 3:30 (and if that's eastern time or not... I'm assuming it is), or can we only vote between 3-3:30?? Because I went to vote the other day, it let me, but it was also after 3:30 so does it just take my vote for the fun of it and let think that it counted!?!? :) Or does it actually count? Sorry if I just confused the HELL out of everyone.. :)
Valerie <[email protected]>
San Diego - Sat, Jan 30, 1999 at 20:10:32 (PST)

In dedication to my favorite Wizard of Moz character, I propose a station called Auntie Em TV.
infolife
- Sat, Jan 30, 1999 at 20:28:08 (PST)

One the subject of suedehead i'm all for it.
Why not? They couldnt play it any less often than they all ready do. As it stands right now bad taste begets bad taste(and speaking of bad taste that little comment about N-TV was completely uncalled for. last time i checked melanin unlike musical tastes are a matter of genetics not culture and even if that was in fact the case derogetory comments like such are unwarrented) and all we can do is take what voice we have and use it. Also i heard a nasty rumour that moz is losing his label because of some corperater merger or something of that ilk and hasnt yet picked up a new one. I'm just wondering if its true or not; any sort of confirmation hey or ney would be appreciatted.

Infernally,
"msg"

drea <[email protected]>
- Sat, Jan 30, 1999 at 21:02:45 (PST)

In my opinion, we should leave MTV alone. MTV plays mainstream music (except for those rare moments when tennybopper culture tries to be 'rebellious and alternative eg:Garbage and Radiohead).Anyway, you must have other locally based music stations which play alternative music. Just be glad for these. Here in New Zealand MTV went bankrupt after a year, but not after destroying MAX TV, the best and widest range of music on television we ever had.
ps- if we were going to put up a single could'nt we chhose something better? Those first few singles aren't exactly Moz's strongest work. Most of the time, the album tracks tend to surpass Morrissey's singles.

Joseph Nunweek <[email protected]>
- Sat, Jan 30, 1999 at 22:45:40 (PST)

MTV = MOZ TELEVISION of FEB. 5th!

...Because we must

Will never marry
- Sun, Jan 31, 1999 at 01:40:11 (PST)

Lets keep Moz away from MTV. Maybe the odd video on 120 minutes is alright but why would you ever want to see Moz on that Daily request crap and attract a mass of Hanson/boyzone disciples. One of my biggest fears is Morrissey and Marr reuniting and being classified with the contemporary alternative "Hootie/Blowfish" bands plaging our airwaves......
Bob math <[email protected]>
- Sun, Jan 31, 1999 at 10:35:27 (PST)

On Feb. 5, I'm going to vote for Morrissey. I know MTV sucks as much as we all say, so lets unite and take over.
MoZmiths <[email protected]>
- Sun, Jan 31, 1999 at 11:04:37 (PST)

MOZ FANS OF THE WORLD, UNITE AND TAKEOVER!!!!!!!!
WE WILL TAKE OVER SUCKY ASS MTV ON THE 5th!!!!!
NOW THATS ENTERTAINMENT!!!!!!!

MOZZER <[email protected]>
- Sun, Jan 31, 1999 at 11:15:09 (PST)

remember the words: " I`D RATHER BE FAMOUS THAN RIGHTEOUS OR HOLY" hmm... what can we learn from that? i love you all mozfans, as i am one, but some are really RELIGIOUS about him! as intelligent superb loveable, and gifted performer and lyricist as he is, and forgive me if i forgot (and i did) adjectives, he made his videos so they would be played as much as possible! he didnt choose to be unpopular. many of us watch videos made by pulp, suede, radiohead, garbage, the cure and so many others who play good music and are more popular than moz. still we think its good! many consume music mainly from tv and radio
and cant buy the videos, at least not now!
just think...some young intelligent boy, unaware of moz, watches mtv for there is nothing else to do where he lives...and then he sees the video! can we give up on such possibility?
NO!
vote!

the monkish monsenior <[email protected]>
hillside, desolate - Sun, Jan 31, 1999 at 15:18:18 (PST)

SCREW THAT...I could really care less if morrissey wants his music to be spread far and wide or not....I am selfish and plan to keep him to myself..

I think natalie merchant and morrissey should get together and make some hi-bred human being

ParticleMan <[email protected]>
- Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 09:28:33 (PST)

we certainly can give up on that little boy....
he shouldn't be listening to MTV in the first place...forget him...
what a dolt

- Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 09:31:56 (PST)

some people must be negative...
why are you here anyway, particleman?
shouldn`t you be writing your own witty poetry to indulge us on your intellect?
or is it that your so sick of us college students
your`e puking just now...
get a life

antiparticle
nowhere fast - Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 12:08:12 (PST)

why don't you go away you contemptable harpy...most of us moz fans are sick and tired of people belittling our man man on moz-solo "notice the solo" it doesn't say "moz-smiths " now does it

"Triangle man, Triangle man
Triangle man hates particle man
They have a fight, Triangle wins
Triangle man"

nuff said go away particle man
"triangle man" aka. Kakarot

triangle man <[email protected]>
- Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 13:32:10 (PST)

oh....chastisement and ridicule...the trophy..
ha ha ha...I love it..
do it again...

- Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 14:12:28 (PST)

I'm so sorry...have I offended the "I wanna be like morrissey" fan club.... angst children... Dress in black...I wanna die.... Sorry.. Morrissey has already taking that position...
please don't squish me with your pulchritudineous
"only human" brains and witt.

- Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 14:19:07 (PST)

Natalie Merchant is a man, baby!
Besides, Moz detests her.

HaveAGoMerchant
- Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 16:22:21 (PST)

mtv is pure filth, it does nothing but disgust me. at one time, when mtv was a fledgling station they had courage and vision, now, they are only pathetic and limp. hang the vj! hang the vj! hang the vj!
vincent snyder
n.j. - Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 19:32:57 (PST)

Why expose Morrissey to teeny boppers across the country, you ask?? Because I used to listen to mainstream crap when I was 13 years old too. It wasn't until 14 when my brother gave me Louder than Bombs to listen to that my life totally changed. So if we can inspire some kids who just haven't been exposed to great music yet, I'm all for it.
Darren
- Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 12:06:36 (PST)

Lord, no ones asking you to give up a tit or testicle, it's a flipping vote! It's one thing to want to see a Moz video because of the art involved, but it's another to involve political upheavel and ludicrous rambling over a damn video! MTV has a new agenda now, SELL SELL SELL! Forget the early glory days of circa 1983-88 when MTV had a niche for playing great music. Move on. Buy the videos. Quit the bitchin'!
J.J. Harrier <[email protected]>
- Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 16:02:21 (PST)

Forget a Morrissey song--Suedehead, please--I want to see a Smiths video. The Smiths would be a much better idea. For, if they play a Smiths video the group will definetely take notice of all the fans and re-unite. Not Morrissey, Smiths--please.
happiness
- Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 22:41:17 (PST)

I've got to say, the irony would be even sweeter if we all voted for "Panic." Think about it.
Mike Remiker
- Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 12:38:25 (PST)

I'll vote for Suedehead, but I'll have to find someone with cable TV to watch it if it airs.
Jon Powell <[email protected]>
Forest Park GA - Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 13:20:56 (PST)

WHat would even better is if we just voted for a hole bunch of songs by morrissey over and over...It would bug them more!! As long as their all by MOrrissey!!
C.A
cali - Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 18:00:57 (PST)

i hate to say this, but i just had a look at the source code for the results page and those percentages are hard coded in. so looks to me like the whole thing will be rigged. the source code for the voting page under "other" reads, score manually (or something like that). it's a fix people, we may be wasting our time. (or not, perhaps i'm just pessimistic).
Julie <[email protected]>
- Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 20:28:42 (PST)

How Soon Is Now??? This should have happened long ago.....if anything we make a little noise.....
handsome devil? <[email protected]>
wa - Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 02:36:07 (PST)

Carson Daly isn't the worst of the hosts on MTV. I doubt it's his fault they play crap like limp bizkit and korn. I've always thought he's been a decent host of the show. He's only doing his job. The real problem is the halfwit jessie kemp or whatever his name. he shouldn't even have a job. Natalie Merchant hasn't ever struck me as having any sense of humor at all. it's a great suggestion to bombard mtv with requests for Morrissey but i imagine the whole thing is rigged anyway, just like most competitions in the U.S.
Spiral Stairs
- Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 02:51:05 (PST)

Does it really matter whether you love or loathe
MTV? All it takes is a few seconds to click over
and vote for the feckin' video.....I really don't
think anything'll come of it, but I still voted
using all my email addresses...just give it a
shot, what harm can it do?

sheila <[email protected]>
- Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 09:10:35 (PST)

Does anyone know why they've got Blondie's "Rapture" up there at MTV? Just a tad curious.....
Buona <[email protected]>
- Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 09:16:51 (PST)

I voted 8 times, for me and all my friends!!!!!
"MTV BBC Please Them!! Please Them!!!
Sadly, this was your life." - Moz

Ken <[email protected]>
New York - Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 09:42:31 (PST)

I looked at the site and there is no way to say that the results are hardcoded in.

The html is being generated by a script so the source will look the same as a static page but its not. Also, I've seen a few of the songs fluxuate in % throughout the day.

I think the stuff is legit, the problem is we don't have any way to prove that "other" consists of enough votes for them to actually play Suedehead.

Either way, I'm smacking their server around with countless hits. Dunno if they are only allowing once hit per ip addres but for one day, I can handle wasting some time.

strangeways
- Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 11:11:39 (PST)

GO TEAM GO!!!!
vote vote vote vote vote

boyeastlikelytoo(Kakarot) <[email protected]>
- Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 11:50:29 (PST)

Were we successful? I don't have
access to a TV. Please inform.............

Tony the Pony
Tampa - Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 13:09:33 (PST)

If I have to sit through the Backstreet Boys and N' Sync and Suedehead doesn't get played I think I will kill myself!
Brandon <[email protected]>
- Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 13:19:10 (PST)

F**K MTV! What a bunch of fakes! As long as they cater to the 14-year-old teenie boppers with the packaged n'sync and backstreet boys, they don't care what other viewers want to see, right? DAMN those guys! I give up. Sorry if I offended anyone...
Smiley <[email protected]>
Los Angeles, CA - Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 16:09:21 (PST)

MTV SUCKS!! i cant believe i sat through that whole show and didnt even get to hear one decent song! you know its like that one guy said the whole thing is rigged! i mean it has to be there really is no other explanation for this insanity! once again though i must admit MORRISSEY is too damn good for mtv and carson daly! i just cant get over the fact that he used to work at KROQ!!
TRULY DISSAPPOINTED
- Mon, Feb 08, 1999 at 11:22:12 (PST)

I did vote so many times for Morrissey to be played. I agreed since that show first aired that it's fixed. What pisses me off more than anything is that I think they ignore all of our votes. I forget who coined the phrase "N-TV" but i like it. There is a channel called BET ( black entertainment) they have that crap on there all the time. I think if MOZ got played on mtv a little bit more it might wake a few of those little 12 or 14 yr olds up. When I was that age I listened to stuff no one heard of and they use to think I was crazy. I think what scared them is that I had and still have a mind of my own and they all had to act the same. I stayed up and watched 120 min but i didn't see Morrissey's video danm!!!
shaye <[email protected]>
midland PA - Mon, Feb 08, 1999 at 12:42:09 (PST)

To those who care the word "pulchritudineous" so eloquently stated by Mr. Particleman though lacking in the letter "e" does in fact mean "beauty"
Tincar
- Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 22:15:21 (PST)

um.. I mean beautiful.
Tincar
- Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 22:17:58 (PST)

I GUESS IT'S A GOOD THING WE DON'T CARE YOU JACKASS
pogue <[email protected]>
- Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 15:20:22 (PST)

* return to Morrissey-solo