posted by davidt on Monday August 24 2009, @12:00PM
Celibatesafordian! writes:
In yesterdays MEN newspaper there is a 2 page interview with photographer Kevin Cummins in which he talks about Manchester his career etc etc. He is interviewed about his new book Looking for light through the rain and mentions that the cover photograph is a silhouette of morrissey.
---
Kewpie sends the link to the thread in the forums started by Grahamchard (via Morrissey reddit):

Kevin Cummins Photo Exhibition

Manchester: Looking for the light through the pouring rain
Photographs by KEVIN CUMMINS
September 4 - 26
Manchester: Looking for the light through the pouring rain is published by Faber, 17 September 2009, £30 hardback

Manchester born Kevin Cummins has an international reputation as one of the world's leading photographers. His iconic portraits of rock musicians as diverse as Joy Division, The Smiths, Oasis and David Bowie have graced magazine covers, galleries and bedroom walls the world over and are included in the collection of The National Portrait Gallery and The V&A amongst others.

Early copies of the book Manchester: Looking for the light through the pouring rain, which Kevin will be signing, will be available at the opening and throughout the exhibition, ahead of general publication. Signed copies may be ordered in advance.
---
Link with image from Dave2006:

New Exhibition – Looking for the light through the pouring rain. Photography by KEVIN CUMMINS - Richard Goodall Gallery Blog

An anonymous person sends the link:

Sorts Posts Two Cover Versions Of "Half A Person" By The Smiths - Metal Underground

Estonian metallers Sorts have issued the following update about posting two cover versions of a The Smiths track online:
"Sorts has released two different cover versions of 'Half a Person' by The Smiths.Vocals of the second version belong to Pille Rand from Estonian death-trash metal band Human Ground. Both of the cover versions are available only on Sorts official myspace account."
Kewpie sends the link to the post in the forums by Uncleskinny (via Morrissey reddit):

This just in from Alain on Facebook

"Alain Whyte is performing live on KCRW Morning Becomes Eclectic next Thursday August 26th with Anya Marina and then playing the Hotel Cafe that night."
---
As posted in the comments by an anonymous person, the 26th is actually Wednesday.
BrierRandom writes:
'(500) Days' ' message: Every relationship has a soundtrack - LA Times
By Todd Martens

"If you bond over the Smiths, for example, that's not good," Neustadter said. "That's a recipe for disaster."
Kewpie sends the link/excerpt (via Morrissey reddit), originally posted by Jones in the forums (original post):

Great escapes: Adele Bethel - The Friday - The Telegraph

The framed picture on the wall above the chair is a signed single by Morrissey, who we toured with. We didn’t really hang out with him because no-one really hangs out with Morrissey. He was lovely, though, a perfect gentleman. Still, it was a terrifying experience because I’m a massive fan of his. We would sit in his dressing room, but I didn’t say anything. I’d just laugh politely at his jokes.
twitter.com/torrmoz sends the link / excerpt:

Book Notes - Frank Anthony Polito ("Drama Queers!" - Largehearted Boy

Frank Anthony Polito's debut novel Band Fags! impressed me with its snappy dialogue and realistic portrayal of late 1980's high school life. As with Band Fags!, each chapter in Drama Queers! is titled after an '80s tune (again, with a few minor exceptions). I chose songs with lyrics that reflect what is happening to the characters at each particular moment in the story, and were popular at the particular time each chapter is taking place during 1987-88 (again, with a few minor exceptions).

Chapter 4—"Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want" by The Smiths

"So for once in my life
Let me get what I want…"

Brad wants to be elected to Homecoming "Top 25." Enough said?
shoplifterromo writes:
Say "adios" to triple-digit west Texas heat with a cool Morrissey/Smiths tribute night at Club Dedo, 204 Rio Grande, in El Paso, Thursday August 27th from 9pm-2am. No cover, drink specials, and freebies from Lost Highway Records, Moz's official record label. Dance your legs down to the knees to Moz/Smiths, Britpop, Motown, and Rockabilly. Watch Moz/Smiths videos plus James Dean flix.

Today's News | August 25 | August 23  >

[ home | terms of service ]