posted by davidt on Tuesday June 05 2007, @11:00PM
Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Informative and interesting posts will be moderated up and highlighted. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.
posted by davidt on Tuesday June 05 2007, @04:00PM
Wageneck writes:
Spoke with James, the box office manager at Ventura, who was very defensive about the whole dinner thing. The phrase that appeared on the ticketmaster website was "Preferred seating with dinner. For reservations call..." I asked him if it's possible someone could insinuate that presale tickets included this preferred seating with dinner. He replied that in 15 years no one has been confused by this and that I was the only person to call about this. When I called ticketmaster, they claimed they have no record of this ever appearing on their website.

If you purchased presale tickets and were confused by the dinner issue, I encourage you to speak with James at the Ventura Theater Box Office at 805-653-0721 or ticketmaster at 805-583-8700.
posted by davidt on Tuesday June 05 2007, @11:00AM
Frankie writes:
Here are the photos I took at the Arizona shows in Tucson and Phoenix.

Morrissey - Tucson & Phoenix 2007 - pistolcreative.com

Fingal sends the link:

Morrissey demands meatless Chastain

By RICHARD L. ELDREDGE | Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 12:33 AM
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Each summer, the folks who book Chastain Park Amphitheater usually encounter a few acts who request the more formal, less distracting “no tables” policy at the chardonnay and candelabra concert venue. But Classic Chastain concert series organizers got an interesting request via former Smiths vocalist Morrissey’s artist contract rider for his scheduled July 20 gig.

The noted vegetarian and animal-rights activist has it in his contract that no meat products will be sold at Chastain at his performance. The venue routinely sells hot dogs and hamburgers at concession stands, but far more people pack their own goodies and haul them in before each performance.

According to Internet blogs on the mysterious musician, the singer doesn’t enjoy the scent of cooking meat. He is apparently so committed to animal rights that he shops for artificial leather footwear as well.

Classic Chastain rep Caren West told Buzz on Tuesday that the venue is taking the request “in stride” and that Morrissey’s management routinely works with each venue he plays to work out the request in advance.

Still, there’s no predicting what might happen if concertgoers suddenly pull Renaissance Festival-esque turkey legs from coolers during the show.

Regardless, we’re told that tickets for the show and the other concerts in the 34th annual Classic Chastain series have been brisk. (Single-ticket sales began Friday. For details: classicchastain.com.)
nannyboo sends the link:

XL WEEKEND REVIEWS - Austin American Statesman

Music: No doubt, this was classic Morrissey
— Joe Gross

How do you know you're at a Morrissey show? Let us count the ways.

•Incidental music includes Sophie Tucker's "I'm Living Alone and I Like It" and T.Rex's glam-rock staple "Telegram Sam."

•Food sold at the show — in this case Saturday night at a packed Backyard — is exclusively vegetarian.

•Audience is a healthy mix of gay and straight. Audience clothing is healthy mix of black and Morrissey T-shirts. Audience hair is healthy mix of foppish, pompadoured or missing, especially if you're one of his older male fans.

•Everyone is excited to be there. Seriously, almost profoundly excited.

At 48, with his last two albums (the outta-nowhere 2004 comeback "You Are the Quarry" and last year's "Ringleader of the Tormentors") his best in 15 years, Morrissey has been given that rarest of pop gifts — a genuine third act.

One reason Morrissey's personality works so well at the cusp of 50 is that part of him was never young. Even as a twentysomething in the world-historical Britpop progenitors the Smiths, Morrissey was always this weird old biddy in love with Oscar Wilde, the New York Dolls and kitchen sink dramas stuffed inside a soft-bodied English fop.

In other words, a world-weary persona goes a lot better with actual middle age.

It doesn't hurt that while Morrissey speaks openly of his very specific influences — glam rock, '60s girl groups, rockabilly, punk's anyone-can-do-this attitude — his music is clearly far more than their sum.

He and his uniformed five-piece band opened with the Smiths' anthem "The Queen is Dead" before sailing into a dazzling array of Mozzer greatest tunes, from newish ("The First of the Gang to Die, "You Have Killed Me") to older solo smashes ("The Last of the Famous International Playboys," "Everyday is like Sunday") and Smiths classics ("Panic, "The Boy With the Thorn in His Side").

The band, led by longtime musical director Boz Borrer, emphasized the songs' sturdiness, their classic, big-chord structures that could be blown out into loud, broad-stroke rock. They even did well with more complicated material, summing up their skill set in the final songs. The proggy, seven-minute "Life is a Pigsty" faded into a piano chorus of "Auld Lang Syne" before crashing into a massive "How Soon is Now?" It was a perfect Morrissey moment — melodramatic, funny, expertly timed.

(XL is the Thursday entertainment pull-out section of the Austin-American Statesman)
Rick writes:
I Don't know if anyone has noticed but Girl in a Coma's song "Clumsy Sky" is being used in Moz's intermission music now...
You can hear them at www.myspace.com/girlsinacoma ..great band!
Seth sends the link:

Morrissey - The Etch-A-Sketchist

fut writes:
30 pairs of prime Garden Box seats are available at auction for the show. Proceeds in excess of the ticket price and service fees will be donated to MUSIC MATTERS, the Los Angeles Philharmonic's fund for music education, helping to reach more than 120,000 students and educators each year.

Morrissey - Premium Seat Auction - Ticketmaster
Today's News | June 6 | June 4  >

[ home | terms of service ]