posted by davidt on Wednesday April 06 2005, @10:00AM
An anonymous person sends the link:

The Smiths: Some bands are bigger than others... - The Independent

This week academics are in Manchester to debate the finer points of The Smiths. But why is this pop group so acclaimed? Clare Rudebeck finds out from its many devotees
02 April 2005
Jan writes:

The Smiths are about to enter the list of most famous british popbands along The Beatles, Rolling Stones and The Kinks. The poetic lyrics and the timeless melodies of the Smiths gain more and more respect, as well as fans. A proof of this is the fact, that Metropolitan University of Manchester will organise a conference on The Smiths in april 2005.

The Smiths has touched many lost souls around the world, as far away as in Finland. This is why we also want to organise a conference about The Smiths in 14th of May 2005 in Helsinki. We look forward to intense and varied discussions, new knowledge and angles about our favourite group. As well as to a great party in the evening of course. In the evening, there will be a movie and other playful events. The night will end with a party and a consert, where the Finlands finest The Joneses will cover the songs of The Smiths.

The program will start app. 14.00 with discussions led by eminent experts, such as Colin Coulter (University of Dublin), Hannu Kylkisalo, Kari Kallioniemi (University of Turku) and Antti Nylén. Johnny Marr´s compositions will be covered as well. In case you have an idea or proposal to the seminar that you would like to present, do not hesitate to contact us. The conference will go in finnish and english.

We want to gather a openminded audience that not only wants to learn new things about The Smiths, but is prepared to share there views with others. We are sure, that there will be something for everybody who have the slightest interest in british popmusic and popular culture.

The seminar will be free of charge, for the party there will be a small cover. The bar will be open all night. You must sign up to the seminar by sending an e-mail to the address: [email protected]

For more information, see www.chorus.tk
An anonymous person writes:

Ian Harrison gives 'Live At Earls Court' a short but very positive review in this month's MOJO magazine. Transcript as follows:

MORRISSEY, LIVE AT EARL's COURT ****

The comeback king's last UK show of 2004

"I'm smiling because I'm in Earl's Court" winked Morrissey from the stage as this CD was being taped on December 18. "What can it mean?" He asked the same nudge-nudge question on 1990's rent-boy toe tapper Piccadilly Palare. Sadly, this and other witticisms are expunged from the final, crisp-sounding recording. It's still hugely persuasive, though, with Mozzer in excellent voice on five Smiths songs (an unarguable How Soon Is Now? opens the show) and superior selections from You Are The Quarry. All through he makes wondrous entertainment out of, as he sings in a slice of New York Dolls' Subway Train, a life that's been "cursed, poisoned and condemned". You almost believe him when he bids an emotional adieu on Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me.
chrisarclark writes:

Darrin Pfieffer, drummer for "punk" band Goldfinger, has chosen Louder Than Bombs as the "Gasoline Classic" for the #8 issue of Gasoline Magazine. It's a rather pathetic review/article, but nevertheless it is always nice to flip the page and find Shelagh Delaney staring out at you.

Pfieffer comments, "It's weird because I'm 230 pounds, covered in tattoos, and am in a punk rock band, but my favorite band is The Smiths." It is a little weird I suppose, but we all know from being around here how weird some of Morrissey's fans can be!
Designer Magazine writes:

Just letting you know about Designer Magazine's review of MORRISSEY's "Live At Earls Court" album and "Who Put The M In Manchester" DVD

http://designermagazine.tripod.com

Cheers

Alex McCann
(Editor - Designer Magazine)
ZackW writes:

There is a rather poor cover of "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" that I ran across while on the iTunes music store by ska band Reel Big Fish. If you knew they were still together, you are a music expert.
---
someraincoatedlovers writes:

The Sanctuary Group has acquired Twenty-First Artists Limited from Sir Elton John and co-owners Frank Presland and Keith Bradley. Twenty-First manages Elton John and also has worked with Jamiroquai and Mis-Teeq. "I am very pleased to be involved with Sanctuary as I have been impressed by the approach they take, particularly toward the artist," said John. "I feel strongly that this will represent the continuation of a very creative period for me and I am looking forward to working with [Executive Chairman] Andy Taylor, [CEO] Merck Mercuriadis and the whole team."
Roy Keen writes:

The critically acclaimed comedy drama No Angels.Following four young nurses facing life, death and lunacy on the wards of St Margaret’s, No Angels is a witty and honest look at the friendship of four young women who juggle a messy job in the modern NHS with equally messy and unpredictable off-duty lives, recently mentioned Morrissey. The character Anji was talking to a young man saying how he had wasted his life being boring and studying too much and the guy went all miserable and she said something along the lines of Jesus Morrissey and the pretended to hang herself. It's always nice to hear Morrisseys name when you least expect it.
Mike writes:

The second Quarry night, a Morrissey and Smiths night in London will be taking place on Saturday April 16th.

It will start at 8pm and finish at 2am.

The tribute band, The Smyths, will be playing two sets during the evening in the first floor bar. The ground floor will have quieter music played throughout the night and there will be DJs in the basement and the 1st floor.

There will be concert and video footage played on the many tv screens throughout the venue and slides shown on the projector screen.

Advanced tickets have been selling well. There are still tickets available but it is advisable to buy them in advance using Paypal via the website. On the first night the tickets sold out in the last week and I had to turn many people away on the night.

Also, future nights will be on June 18th and August 13th.

I am also hoping to confirm a small Quarry event on Friday July 1st at A Hammersmith venue. This is to tie in with the opening of the Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others Musical at the Lyric Theatre. It will be for a smaller group of 60 people and there will be a vegetarian buffet laid on. It is not yet confirmed since I am waiting on a late licence to be approved by the police. Once the licence has been confirmed tickets for this and the other 2 nights will be made available through the website after April 16th.

Thanks,

Mike
Quarry Organiser

http://www.quarrynight.com
Today's News | April 7 | April 5  >

[ home | terms of service ]