posted by davidt on Saturday March 08 2003, @11:00AM
writes:

Just got this from "nme.com":
NME writers' best 100 albums of all time unveiled

They did this list again for the first time in 10 years.
Look at # 8 ......

1. The Stone Roses "The Stone Roses'
2. Pixies 'Doolittle'
3. The Beach Boys 'Pet Sounds'
4. Television 'Marquee Moon'
5. The Beatles 'Revolver'
6. Love 'Forever Changes'
7. The Strokes 'Is This it'
8. The Smiths 'The Queen Is Dead'
9.The Velvet Underground 'The Velvet Underground & Nico'
10. The Sex Pistols 'Never Mind The Bollocks...'

---
English Martyr writes with more details from the print edition:
An anonymous person writes:

Marr talks about his new band, his relationship with Morrissey, and the Smiths.

Ex-Smiths guitarist is the voice of his new group, the Healers - by Jim Farber, NY Daily News, Jan. 9, 2003. Excerpt:

The Smiths' legendary status only fueled speculation about other reasons for the split: namely, the notorious tensions among the members. Marr dismisses this, but says he and Morrissey have no relationship at this point, and haven't for years. At the same time, he warns against "reading too much into that. There are times in your life when you have a very strong relationship and then you lose touch.

"Life goes on. We were brought together to write and a friendship grew out of that. But that situation doesn't exist anymore."

Marr claims to have no bitter feelings toward the famously eccentric singer, but he adds that he "very much doubts" he and Morrissey will work together again. "It would be like asking Martin Amis to write a new version of (J.D. Salinger's) 'Catcher in the Rye,'" he jokes.
Brooklyn Ivey writes:

Hello... Just wanted to tell a quick story of my meeting with the "POPE OF MOPE". I recently met MORRISSEY on a brilliant Saturday evening at a place in Los Angeles called "The Bigfoot Lodge". It was like this, my friend and I always socialize at this bar, I walked in and saw Moz at a little booth with 2 mid-aged females sipping Heiniken and I cried and walked up to tell him thanks for his brilliance he shyly said "Of course". I later walked up to him and asked for an autograph and with no hesitation he remembered my name and wrote "To Brooklyn from Morrissey..." I also got to keep his beer bottle. YEAH that was the happiest day of my life I swear.... so keep on the look out for him he's always very polite....3
Benton writes:

Here's the text of the recent (Nov.) Mojo article on Viva Hate. All the Morrissey quotes are taken from old interviews, but there's some interesting stuff here.---
raymonde writes:

Did I ever say I met Morrrissey in the now defunct Hacienda nightclub in Manchester in about 1989-90? He was ushered in past us as we were queuing, but never expected to see him to talk to inside... He was with Anthony H. Wilson (arch Manchester tosser) and my brother asked if he would speak with us.

He came over and spoke to me and my friends (all male) for quite a while. He was very nice. My brother asked if if would like a beer, he was drinking Saporro (Japanese lager). He declined, so I asked if he would buy us all one. He laughed and said we had enough. He asked where we were from. When we said Stoke, he waxed fondly about the concert venues in Stoke. He then asked if we were in bands and encouraged us to do it. We then had a long chat about fame and success and it got quite serious when one of my friends asked if he thought he deserved it. He argued that it was by dint of hard work, vocation even, and was a good thing that he had the opportunity to get his point of view across. He said that his next release would be ‘Amazing Drug’, which turned out to be ‘Interesting Drug’. Interesting, eh? He shook our hands when he left and was all-in-all absolutely, thoroughly charming.

Did I ever tell you I was in contact with his old friend James Maker of Raymonde fame for a while...(that’s another story)
As posted on the general discussion board:

Johnny Marr/Smiths programme on VH1 Classic (US) on Monday night

Posted By: Honky
Date: Saturday, 8 March 2003, at 1:42 p.m.

Monday, March 10
ON VH1 CLASSIC:

VH1 Classic premieres "Headline Act" with famed guitarist Johnny Marr, best known for his work with the seminal 80s band The Smiths. The half-hour block features classic Smiths videos and an exclusive interview with Marr who stops by the VH1 Classic studio to talk about his successes with The Smiths and his new release "Boomslang" with his new band The Healers. Videos include: "How Soon Is Now?" "Panic," "Sheila Take A Bow," "Girlfriend In A Coma," "This Charming Man," "Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before" and "Shoplifters of the World Unite." Marr tells VH1 Classic that he and The Smiths' lead singer/songwriter Morrissey shared something very special: "I think the combination of Morrissey and myself together was pretty magic(al). Because even though we are very much obviously on the surface different people, the most important thing to us individually that was inside us was shared with each other and felt like we didn't share with anyone else on the planet."

(Premieres at 7:00 p.m.)
---
Update: 03/09 17:03 GMT: Updated press release from playing311 lists the premiere on Tuesday, Mar. 11
---
Update: 03/11 04:20 GMT: Turns out the premiere was actually on the 10th as originally posted. BoyRacerX writes in with more times:

Here are also the future dates that the show will be airing and times

March 11; 12 am
March 14; 5 am, 1 pm, 9 pm
March 17; 8 am, 4 pm
March 18 ;12 am
March 21; 5 am, 1 pm, 9 pm *these are west coast times
Today's News | March 9 | March 7  >

[ home | terms of service ]