posted by davidt on Saturday August 08 2009, @08:30AM
lily writes:
Despite their common depictions of the darker sides of life, The Smiths—unlike Joy Division—invariably tempered their sad tales with a literate wit that, although not softening the blows of the woes, at least broadened the palette of emotions for receptive listeners.

On the Sixth Day God Created Man…chester - PopMatters
The Smiths / Indie Rock
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Excellent (Score:2, Insightful)

"Smiths “types” today, as before, relate to a clear-eyed honesty in addressing often teary-eyed topics; they relate to the courage to confess and to articulate emotions with candor, precision, perception, and poetry."

Let's hope so, but it is apparent that Iain Ellis for one belongs to this class of fan.
    goinghome -- Saturday August 08 2009, @01:54PM (#337805)
    (User #12673 Info)
    • Re:Excellent (Score:2, Interesting)

Fabulous article. This is a man who truly appreciates the intelligence that is the cornerstone of Morrissey's lyrical genius. Despite what anybody ever says about Moz, they can never call him stupid! Thoroughly enjoyed reading this. The writer's descriptions were dripping with colorful truths from those of Ian Curtis and Joy Division to The Smiths' importance today and, of course, Morrissey's brillance. Well done, Iain!
      jwizjam -- Saturday August 08 2009, @10:21PM (#337839)
      (User #21207 Info)
  • they're stealing my forum sigline, but mine is
    7, sunday rest day, evreyday is like sunday

ah about the forum things I've written read Whyte,Alain, and also there what Cobrin days

Just wanted to know why my fav. Morrissey songwriting never returned after 5 june 2004
    but still writes material

well Morrissey made a slotion, a stage band, and
    one great songwriter on the other hand, which all
    comes together on an album, everyones stisfied though I would love to see Alain doing some guest
    appearances when touring
    Plus Boz had/has allready toured and recorded with the Polecats and and other bands, so he was
    more mature in producers eyes, and he's a top bloke, nothing against him, just wanted to know
    why this situation with Alain, now Goddard writen his point of vieuw via ex bandmembers
    and I find it very trustworthy, but again there's
    no intention to put omeone down, just facts.
    Celibate Cry <[email protected]> -- Saturday August 08 2009, @11:16PM (#337840)
    (User #220 Info)
    and the hills are alive with celibate cries
    • Re:hey by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday August 09 2009, @03:44AM
      • Re:hey by Celibate Cry (Score:1) Monday August 10 2009, @07:13AM

[ home | terms of service ]