posted by davidt on Tuesday May 19 2009, @01:00PM
Anna-Marie writes:
PRESS RELEASE

Paint a Vulgar Picture: Fiction inspired by The Smiths edited by Peter Wild and published by Serpent’s Tail at £8.99 original paperback on 28 May.

This Friday, Morrissey turns 50 and we’re publishing PAINT A VULGAR PICTURE: Fiction inspired by The Smiths on 28 May just in time for his golden jubilee. In this tribute to the songs of The Smiths, contributors including Mike Gayle, Kate Pullinger, Catherine O’Flynn, Helen Walsh, Mil Millington, Alison MacLeod, Matt Beaumont, Scarlett Thomas and Jeff Noon explain why they love the band and each choose a song title – Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now, There Is A Light That Never Goes Out, Ask, Shoplifters of the World Unite... - to write a story around.

As Peter Wild explains, ‘They were a band who celebrated books and reading – what was it Morrissey sang? “There’s more to life than books you know, but not much more.” – in a way that no band has before or, to my mind, since. When you think about it, it’s amazing that it’s taken this long for a book of fiction inspired by that most literary of bands to arrive. Is it really so strange? We don’t think so.’

• The anthology’s editor, Peter Wild is based in Manchester and is available for interviews, as are several of the contributors.
• Paint a Vulgar Picture is third in our series of Fiction inspired by cult bands which includes The Empty Page (Sonic Youth) and Perverted by Language (The Fall).
• Please email [email protected] for further information.
---
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • 'Celebrate' Morrissey's birthday by buying our product!
    Yeah right....
    Anonymous -- Wednesday May 20 2009, @02:23AM (#331576)
  • wants to pick a few pounds out of His Masters Voice 50 year

no I commented to Dickey, thats an other category

so he's out of free-lance journalists who seems to have heard
    that a certain guy named Morrissey celebrating
    his 50 birthday
    Celibate Cry <[email protected]> -- Wednesday May 20 2009, @07:31AM (#331602)
    (User #220 Info)
    and the hills are alive with celibate cries

[ home | terms of service ]