posted by davidt on Tuesday May 12 2009, @09:00AM
grogsplot writes:
Hi all. I work here at Symphony Hall and just heard that Morrissey has cancelled tomorrow nights gig here. Absolutely gutted.
Just wanted to let you all know asap.
Hoping to reschedule.

Symphony Hall Notification

We regret that this concert has been cancelled due to illness but we are working to try and reschedule the concert to a date later in the year. We will be contacting ticket holders once we are clear as to what is happening, in the meantime ticket holders should keep their tickets.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Throw the tower.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday May 12 2009, @09:10AM (#330593)
  • feck
    Mozzalini Is Me -- Tuesday May 12 2009, @09:12AM (#330595)
    (User #22006 Info)
  • Insurance (Score:0, Troll)

This might not apply to tours on a smaller scale like Morrissey's but I know that many have insurance issues which require the artist to undergo a medical.

Maybe Moz just needs to be in better physical condition before setting out on these lengthy ordeals. Fifty isn't that old.

The guy's overweight and sweats like a fire hose after the first two songs. Surely it's one consideration because, regardless of disappointing people (we wonder if he worries so much about that) he'll be loosing money and he certainly cares about that.

Pulling out of these larger venues at the last minute is going to be veeeeeeeery expensive. Which also suggests he is genuinely very sick. But, as I say, a healthy and trim Moz might not be.
    • Re: Assurance by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday May 12 2009, @09:32AM
    • Re:Insurance by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday May 12 2009, @12:29PM
  • Ok, just got off the phone with RAH they told me if I want a refund I have to go all the way there to get my money back (even though I paid over the phone by card) or alternatively I should hold on to my ticket because is goin' to be rescheduled. LAst year, after the Roundhouse no show I was told the same thing and it was never rescheduled.

Just wondering, the night before at the Roundhouse where he played only 3 or 4 songs....was the audience refunded?
    Anonymous -- Tuesday May 12 2009, @09:22AM (#330599)
  • Just got the call from Birmingham Symphony Hall.

Yes, they are so cool they actually ring ticket holders!

There's a prompt, polite and professional announcement on 'It's Morrissey's World':

'BIRMINGHAM SYMPHONY HALL SHOW CANCELLED 12/05/09 Regrettably Morrissey’s show at Birmingham Symphony Hall tomorrow has been cancelled due to illness. Morrissey is on continued doctor’s orders to rest, to ensure a complete recuperation. Event Organizers would like to apologise to fans for the disappointment and are working to reschedule this show and the London Royal Albert Hall show, so advise ticket holders to hang on to their tickets.'

http://www.itsmorrisseysworld.com/story.php?newsID=62

I'm disappointed at the cancellation as I hoped tomorrow's show would 'bring to life' YOR which hasn't really moved my foundations.

I hope these shows can be re-scheduled, but I'm very concerned to hear of Morrissey's vocal problems. I hope he has not damaged his greatest gift.

After all the ill-feeling about the cancelled shows in America, it's good to see his management team have put some effort into alerting audience members before they arrive at the car park!

All it takes, really. Everyone likes to be treated with courtesy and respect.

Regards

BrummieBoy -- Tuesday May 12 2009, @09:34AM (#330603)
    (User #11602 Info)
    sig cancelled
  • Thanks for letting us know. I was going to travel to Birmingham as Albert Hall was cancelled - at least I won't have a wasted journey now.
    By the way I think its obvious there is some kind of recurrent medical problem that needs sorting out - so please stop saying Morrissey cancels cos he's old or fat or bored or just crap.
    My thoughts are with you Morrissey - Get well soon
    orlando -- Tuesday May 12 2009, @09:55AM (#330608)
    (User #18669 Info)
  • I really do believe he is sick.This show was close to selling out,right?
    I guess that is what i want to know,these 2 shows /so far/ were full,no?
    I don't believe for a second his nonsense excuses for the Palladium and the kickoff 4 shows in florida,but these shows to cancel,is very darin if he's lying.
    He really is sick this time,right?
    Does anyone know how these shows were selling?
    KEVSTER -- Tuesday May 12 2009, @10:14AM (#330614)
    (User #18942 Info)
  • What is your "oh, so accurate" take on this? Not that we've already read it hundreds of times here before....
    Anonymous -- Tuesday May 12 2009, @10:26AM (#330619)
  • This means that even more people are desperate to see him in Manchester. The tickets are literally now GOLD DUST.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday May 12 2009, @10:35AM (#330620)
  • I bet whoever beat me on the eBay auction for those tickets for tomorrow night is GUTTED.

I am truly sorry.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday May 12 2009, @10:51AM (#330626)
  • I might be a bit cautious to accept a handshake from Morrissey at the next gig - just in case I'll catch what he's having! :-)

But in reality I will of course. Then I'll have the "Morrissey flu". :-)

Anonymous -- Tuesday May 12 2009, @11:25AM (#330635)
  • Could it be that the atmosphere from the previous gigs have been a let down to Morrissey himself and probably a lot of people who have seen him many times in the past?

When you are not feeling 100% then whatever is in front of you becomes harder and I just wonder whether Morrissey has taken into account the fact that he has not enjoyed recent shows and needs a break.

I think the set lists are stronger than on the 'Ringleader' tour, but could still be significantly improved and refreshed. It is great to see him returning to albums such as 'Southpaw' but at the same time he is still hell bent on boring us all with 'Let Me Kiss You' which we have now heard over three tours. 'Quarry' was a great album and the main two songs, 'First Of The Gang' and 'Irish Blood' are worthy inclusions. However, I think the rest should be given exactly that, a rest.

There is nothing off 'Ringleader of the tormentors' so that just about consigns that album to history, but five songs off 'Years Of Refusal' an album which most people can not get excited about, although it does have two or three very good songs. Don't forget, the current single did not even make the top forty. The single can also be found easily enough, it is just that none of us would give it the time of day if it was not Morrissey because it really is not that great is it?

If the illness is taking it's toll because he is not enjoying what is happening each night, due to a lack of atmosphere and intensity, then he has to play his part and think about how people will react to the changes throughout his sets. From a recent set list, he started off with 'This charming man' and then played 'Billy Budd', what a start that was. Then he brings everybody down with the mediocre 'Black Cloud'. You can picture the reaction of the audience as you read this. Then everyone is back up for 'How Soon Is Now' and 'Irish Blood' and then into what is one of the stronger songs on the new album, 'Carol'.

Then we have four songs which I don't feel should be included, 'Ask' which I think is one of only a handful of weak songs The Smiths ever recorded, then 'Let Me Bore You', 'Paris' and then 'How Can Anybody Know How I Feel'.

This sort of rollercoaster of highs and lows continues. The problem is, it is all predictable. He has a back catalogue that is almost unrivalled by anybody. What Morrissey needs to do is freshen it up, give us the type of shows that we watched in the 1990's. Does anybody remember Chester in 1997? It was fantastic, bouncing!

How much better would it be with a few surprises such as 'Sweet & Tender Hooligan', 'Piccadilly Palare', 'Spring Heeled Jim', 'Speedway' or 'Roy's Keen' to name just five? The best nights out that we all have are when things are more spontaneous. At the moment Morrissey's concerts are not. they are too often slow and predictable and it seems a lot of people, Morrissey included, are finding it hard to get up for them.

I have a ticket for Manchester, the main Manchester venue for loud, up tempo concerts, but I am not expecting much. I was there the last time, Saturday night again, and it was my least enjoyable Morrissey concert. It was sold out, with a hyped up audience on a Saturday night in his home town and I thought it would be the best show ever. Morrissey wants physical music and the crowd wants a physical show. I remember he played 'Trouble Loves Me' that night in Manchester, a song I really love off the 'Maladjusted' album but it just dragged that night. I was wishing it would end so that he may up the tempo, but he rarely did.

I believe he is ill, I am ill, the flu is going around at the moment. But just how much an illness stops you doing things can often depend on how much you want to do them. Maybe Morrissey is starting to get the same feeling about his show as many of his long standing fans have had for the past few tours.

It could all be so different. Morrissey needs to think about it rather than, in the middle of a show, denounce the quality of the atmosphere just because people are not feeling physical when listening to songs such as 'Black Cloud'.

I am starting to wonder whether a refund would be just what the doctor ordered.
    Jacknife Johnny -- Tuesday May 12 2009, @11:26AM (#330636)
    (User #12307 Info)
  • Feel sorry for fans who had tickets to Royal Albert Hall & Birmingham. At least we can get the money back if the shows aren't going ahead at a later stage.

Hopefully G.Yarmouth goes ahead on Friday.

Morrissey is not well. He is a great singer and can't do half-hearted shows if his voice is not right. He is a professional and has standards. I do hope he gets well soon.

But I would've have loved to hear him in Royal Albert Hall on monday - the acoustics!

Anonymous -- Tuesday May 12 2009, @11:50AM (#330642)
  • tour of refusal to turn up
    Anonymous -- Tuesday May 12 2009, @12:56PM (#330662)
  • Damn it I spelt his name wrong in the article.
    Soz x
    grogsplot -- Tuesday May 12 2009, @01:43PM (#330674)
    (User #22509 Info | http://www.myspace.com/lizgregson)
    • Re:spellcheck by davidt (Score:1) Tuesday May 12 2009, @08:07PM
      • Re:spellcheck by grogsplot (Score:1) Wednesday May 13 2009, @12:27AM
  • I have followed him around the world and finally I give up. Manchester (if they go ahead) are my last Morrissey shows.
    phcbr6 -- Wednesday May 13 2009, @01:14AM (#330740)
    (User #12311 Info)
  • Hmmmmmm (Score:2, Funny)

Sorry Doesn't Help us!

And sorry won't bring £129 back to me, anytime soon!!

Fingers crossed for a re-schedule, although i'm not holding my breath!
    sonofward -- Wednesday May 13 2009, @03:06AM (#330745)
    (User #4901 Info)
    " Life is very long when you're lonely... "
    • Re:Hmmmmmm by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday May 13 2009, @09:24AM
      • Re:Hmmmmmm by sonofward (Score:1) Wednesday May 13 2009, @05:21PM
  • Dave Gahan (Score:2, Interesting)

Somebody compared Morrissey to Dave Gahan while discussing illness and cancellations. Just thought that I would point out that Dave Gahan has called in sick as well! Maybe it is an age thing after all.
    Domestos Salad -- Wednesday May 13 2009, @11:44AM (#330788)
    (User #13197 Info)
    • I should have pointed out that I am a similar age and am constantly unwell although in my case that is probably down to spending too long on this computer!
      Domestos Salad -- Wednesday May 13 2009, @12:04PM (#330791)
      (User #13197 Info)
      • Re:Dave Gahan by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday May 14 2009, @07:10AM
  • Fucking hell! I can't believe half of these comments on this website.

People of all ages do get ill. For example we have a person at work who has been off sick for nearly 3 months now.

As a singer you simply cannot get on stage if you're not well!

Anonymous -- Wednesday May 13 2009, @12:01PM (#330790)
  • I actually received A LETTER from the Symphony Hall this morning. Can't help but be impressed.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday May 13 2009, @06:16PM (#330812)
  • After finding out about the RAH gig 30mins before we were due to leave i know how bad everyone must feel,im sue Moz would have loved to have played these gigs and jools hooland.Fingers x he gets better very soon.
    bonehead -- Thursday May 14 2009, @04:28AM (#330834)
    (User #22001 Info)
  • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]