posted by davidt on Tuesday February 24 2009, @04:00PM
Update: 02/25 15:59 GMT:
An anonymous person sends the Soundscan sales report/scan. YOR enters at #11 with 31,341 actual sales.

---
Sean writes:
Morrissey's latest studio album, Years of Refusal, has entered the US charts at number 11.

According to official sales numbers, it shifted 29,658 copies in the first week of release.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Does that include my FOUR Ticketmaster / iTunes preorders????
    Anonymous -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @04:12PM (#322342)
  • I know the stats people will come along.. please tell us how this ranks with other US releases!!!
    LucasT -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @04:43PM (#322346)
    (User #16225 Info)
    LucasT
    • Re:Great news! by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday February 24 2009, @04:50PM
      • Re:Great news! by Anonymous (Score:1) Tuesday February 24 2009, @05:25PM
        • Re:Great news! by leedoggpimp (Score:1) Tuesday February 24 2009, @05:26PM
      • Re:Great news! by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday February 24 2009, @06:31PM
      • Re:Great news! by LucasT (Score:1) Tuesday February 24 2009, @06:44PM
      • Re:Great news! by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday February 25 2009, @03:30PM
  • This is pretty good news. Almost, just almost made it to the top 10. :-), but top 20 isn't bad.
    Dior -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @04:58PM (#322349)
    (User #18985 Info)
    • Re:Wonderful by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday February 25 2009, @01:33AM
      • Re: Huzzah by lonedom (Score:0) Wednesday February 25 2009, @11:02AM
  • This ties Quarry for his highest US chart placement ever. Vauxhaul came in at #18, which was his previous best.
    IanCurtis -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @05:16PM (#322351)
    (User #5849 Info)
  • I don't see it anywhere in the first 100 of the Billboard top 200.
    allikazoo -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @05:46PM (#322358)
    (User #10277 Info)
  • I don't see how this is relevant given the fact that I was able to buy a ticket yesterday to a show in a venue of less than 1000 that has been on sale for over a month. I will enjoy it as I always do, but broad appeal and a mainstream crossover craze is not what is in store for Moz...not with songs like Black Cloud leading the way.
    Sumonessweetie -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @06:38PM (#322364)
    (User #20842 Info)
  • When I bought the album on Tuesday I got the second to last one, and to be honest throughout the whole week, every record store I went too either had no or few copies left. I thought that maybe Moz would be in the top ten but at least he cracked eleven. Also from my perceptive the album (here in the States) wasn’t promoted at all.
    GetUpKid -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @07:24PM (#322368)
    (User #20290 Info)
    • Re:To Be Honest by Ssalefish Comics (Score:1) Tuesday February 24 2009, @10:08PM
      • Re:To Be Honest by Ssalefish Comics (Score:1) Tuesday February 24 2009, @10:14PM
  • This is great news. I would contribute this to three factors:

a) It's a terrific, back-to-basics little pop album; Morrissey sound great; the songs are great, the band sounds great, and the production was just terrific. This album sounds especially good when you blast this mutha loud.

b) Generally very positive reviews. I would even go so far as to say Morrissey may have even changed some critics' perceptions of him while all along we knew for all these years, he hasn't changed a hair on his head.

c) The availabiliy of this album was the best I could remember. I ordered the Deluxe through Amazon only because my favorite retail stores for music are no longer around (and got $$ off), but I saw this album advertised everywhere; I saw circulars in the Sunday paper featuring the album selling at places like Best Buy where one doesn't normally think of purchasing music.

I cannot go on for I am having a mozmic vision; there is figure hovering over me; a furry little critter in a white, Elvis jumpsuit studded with rhinestones. He calls himself Old Phil. The pudgy little prognosticator has come to announce that there will be an early Spring in honor of YOR. The crocuses will bloom in the blue color of Moz's hot-looking Fred Perry shirt; the bunnies will hop-hop-hop a little higher, and the robins will tweet like happy little Mexican trumpets. By Easter, Moz will find a chocolate egg left on his pillow.

These are good times.
    mozmic_dancer -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @07:25PM (#322369)
    (User #11277 Info)
    "I am the fun and the fair, on a Mozsite for the criminally insane..."
  • Quarry did also,and sold close to 70,000
    though the next week was at 46
    I expect the same here
    but that's still incredible
    with no single and all
    markmustb1 -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @08:09PM (#322371)
    (User #13161 Info)
    cos no one ever turns to me to say ...
  • If more stores stocked it this would have been higher. I frekin hate Best buy. They stocked five copies at each store in San Antonio. WTF is with that? I had to drive all over just to get mine and most people-even fans- won't do that. If stores would have been stocked more it would have made the top ten- damn!

thetexasbloke
    Anonymous -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @08:14PM (#322372)
  • I have to admit, I do download music from time to time, but mainly just singles or individual tracks from a particular artist, if I happen to like a few of their songs. But NEVER a full album from someone I really like. Call me old-fashioned, but I treat a record release like a movie premiere and I would lineup to buy a Moz disc the second it comes out if I had to.
    But, 29,000 records sold? I mean I know it's only #11, not #1. But, it was not too long ago that anything in the top 10 was certified gold in its first week. I was actually watching a pop-music show on TV recently, and the host presented some "lock-jawed pop-tart" with a gold record for 500,000 downloads! I almost cringed.
    I know things change. There are more convenient, less expensive ways to get music than by going to the record store and buying a CD. But, although I congratulate Moz on a strong first week in the US, it makes me kind of sad that just shy of 30,000 sales constitutes a good week.
    Oh, well. Best to Morrissey and the lads! See you on tour. LOVE the new album, which I BOUGHT at a record store. I am proud to be counted among the 29,000!
    Anonymous -- Wednesday February 25 2009, @05:04AM (#322412)
  • 'yes we can'

good score for our Man in the USA, the tour might
    up it up, a top 5 would be great

thank you for buying, the Moz Posse
    Celibate Cry <[email protected]> -- Wednesday February 25 2009, @08:24AM (#322423)
    (User #220 Info)
    and the hills are alive with celibate cries
  • Does it Matter? (Score:2, Informative)

Well, with 70,000 copies sold in its first week, You Are The Quarry would have been number one this week. As would Ringleader of the Tormentors.

His commercial standing seems to have nosedived again. Consider this:

2004 - YATQ 4 SINGLES
    2005 - LIVE AT EARL'S COURT 1 SINGLE
    2006 - ROTT 4 SINGLES
    2008 - GREATEST HITS 2 SINGLES
    2009 - YOR 1 SINGLE

Compared to U2:

2004 - ALBUM AND 4 SINGLES
    2005 - NOTHING
    2006 - NOTHING
    2007 - NOTHING
    2008 - NOTHING
    2009 - ALBUM 1 SINGLE (so far)

Familiarity breeds contempt.

Had he waited five years and chosen the best tracks from ROTT and YOR he might have been looking at a USA/UK number one double. Silly man.

kissmyshades -- Wednesday February 25 2009, @09:19AM (#322427)
    (User #12542 Info)
    • Re:Does it Matter? by Anonymous (Score:1) Wednesday February 25 2009, @09:31AM
      • Re:Does it Matter? (Score:2, Interesting)

"Waiting 5 years between albums is a good way to risk alienating and losing a lot of fans and potential new ones."

Maladjusted reached number 8, and disappeared within four weeks. Seven years later, he returns with an album that gets to number two and was his longest chart run since Viva Hate (20 to 18).

You're right that long absences risk alienating people, but not in Morrissey's case - wasn't it more a question of people not realising what they were missing until it disappeared?

You make a fair point about the economy.
        kissmyshades -- Thursday February 26 2009, @04:46AM (#322487)
        (User #12542 Info)
    • Re:Does it Matter? by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday February 25 2009, @10:41AM
  • And the Kings of Leon too!
    wemissumoz -- Wednesday February 25 2009, @11:04AM (#322440)
    (User #4088 Info)
  • From 1992 onwards...

Viva Hate: 234,804
    Bona Drag: 360,977
    Kill Uncle: 221,293
    Your Arsenal: 366,047
    Vauxhall & I: 293,017
    Southpaw Grammar: 67,451
    World Of Morrissey: 69,357
    Maladjusted: 88,554
    Best of Morrissey: 179,746
    You Are The Quarry: 230,169
    Ringleader of The Tormentors: 97,502

Johan de Witt <[email protected]> -- Wednesday February 25 2009, @11:44AM (#322441)
    (User #4231 Info)
  • I don't blame Morrissey one bit for moving to LA and aiming for the US market again.

England is the pits these days....there is no creativity in music, everything is the same celebrity driven shit.....TV is dismal....media spreading doom & gloom....there is NO England as we know it. It's gone, finished, vanished. And you're right: you will be hard pushed to hear an english accent on the streets of London!

Anonymous -- Wednesday February 25 2009, @01:33PM (#322450)
  • i bought the cd/dvd, lp and downloaded the album while waiting for my copies to arrive. i also bought all 3 versions of the single. normally i'd just choose between cd or lp but c'mon it's MOZ.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday February 25 2009, @03:18PM (#322455)
  • That's right, Nickelback is #4 on the US charts. And Kid Rock has been Top 40 for 72 weeks?! What is wrong with you America!

I have only been able to buy two formats of YOR since my record store has been sold out for 2 weeks. That makes me feel good to know they're selling it though.
    JoeyfromIndy -- Wednesday February 25 2009, @08:46PM (#322474)
    (User #19878 Info)
  • ...as YOR in its 1st week.
    Did the leak hurt sales, or is Morrissey, God forbid, too old to sell well?
    I bought the regular YOR issue and will buy the Deluxe also.

Is it possible that the people who really know of Morrissey, i.e. the old Smiths fans and the die hard Solo fans, bought the disc, but everyone else who knows or knew of him just don't buy much music anymore.

I know as I grow older, I really only buy music of groups/people that I truly like and have appreciated and liked for a long time. It is rare these days for me to be "experimental" and just buy music on a whim, where I would have and did 20 years ago. Now I don't have the time to search out new music unless I somehow come across a tune through a movie or television show or overhear someone playing something.

So, even though Morrissey may be well known (or is he?, other than LA and NY and other metro areas does he even get any air play or has he ever gotten much airplay?) is it possible that people don't buy him because they aren't interested any more.

And speaking of LA, has the fare weather friend of KROQ promoted YOR like they used to promote The Smiths and Morrissey back in the 80's and and the 90's or are they also not interested any more?

Perhaps the target audience just doesn't buy new music...they are content with what they already have...and/or with their houses in foreclosure and the Hummers being repo'd, buying a new CD isn't really on their "to do" list.

Even Sprinsteen has dropped to 13 and he played the "SuperBowl". There was a big stink about not being able to but Springsteen concert tickets, but did those same people buy his release.

Do older fans go to the concerts to hear the old familiar songs and don't really care about the new releases?
    someraincoatedlovers -- Thursday February 26 2009, @12:42AM (#322483)
    (User #10290 Info)
    • I don't know about other people, but yes I react differently to new releases now than say 25-30 years ago.

There were not too many chances to find specific albums in far-off places. You had to go to the big cities, and you couldn't necessarily expect to find an album on stock for a long period. There were also less copies in one store, so there was a sense of urgency.

So if you heard that a new exciting record was out, the chances were high you couldn't yet physically "copy" it and either had to borrow it from someone who trusted you with his/her copy, or buy it yourself. You couldn't simply sit and wait to find it on Ebay or on Amazon. Forget downloading entirely.

So yes, shopping for records was more of a quest than it is nowadays. There's no real urgency: I know I'll be able to find YOR within 5 years in one form or another.

There's no anticipation either: before its official release I could find 6 songs off YOR on the internet. And when the whole album was leaked, everyone could find everything, if they wanted.

On the other hand: if records were more eagerly bought, I bought less albums than I do now. I have easier access to new stuff, but I can decide to buy or not, and wait.

I have more time to find new stuff, and hear new stuff. But I also have more time to buy new stuff, or old stuff since it's simply in higher quantities and longer available (stores, internet...).

There's more music available, there's no urgency anymore, so I don't feel any need to purchase things directly.

I've ordered YOR via Amazon, but it's shipping with other stuff that took a few more weeks so I've still not received the CD. I downloaded the tracks I hadn't heard yet, and I have a good idea of what it's worth (good album, better than ROTT).

The only thing that really changed is concerts: I used to get tickets even on the concert date itself, today that's hardly possible with international artists. For the upcoming Moz shows, I got tickets with an advance of 7 months!

I could be dead, cremated and forgotten even before he opens his mouth.

A reason to live.
      MILVA -- Thursday February 26 2009, @07:44AM (#322497)
      (User #12729 Info)
      no previous convictions
  • It's weird seeing Lady Gaga and Moz beside each other, even in print.

Well done Morrissey! And the band.
    sing-me-to-sleep -- Thursday February 26 2009, @06:48AM (#322493)
    (User #20404 Info)
  • It seems YOR has only been able to place 37 in Canada. I wonder if there are still hard feelings between Morrissey and the Canadain fans he asked the World to boycott? If so, I don't blame the Canadians for refusing to buy an album from an artist who compared their government to the Nazis.
    Anonymous -- Thursday February 26 2009, @07:21AM (#322496)
  • REAL weak week for record sales. YOR would have been #21 last week (assuming same record sales), yet with just another 1500 records sold this week Moz would've been all the way up to #6.
    Anonymous -- Thursday February 26 2009, @09:24AM (#322502)
  • Both US and UK music is shit and boring these days, there's no better country for music.

most just downloads/buy from shop the singles they like and dont have an interest in looking at the rest of the album, so they wont buy it, people these days only buy albums by people if they genuinly like/love them, or they wont think twice about buying it.
    Carlyy <[email protected]> -- Monday April 06 2009, @12:48PM (#327121)
    (User #22056 Info | http://www.myspace.com/thesmithsloverr)
  • Anyone who loves music, dickweed.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday February 25 2009, @03:55PM (#322457)
  • 2 replies beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]