posted by davidt on Tuesday February 24 2009, @12:00PM
Abrahan sends the link to his post in the forums:

according to this ad in the dallas observer (dated 02/19-02/25/2009),
YOR includes the singles: I'm throwing my arms around Paris & Black Cloud.

This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • then it's a poor choice in my opinion. It's a decent song, I like it, but it's just an album track, I can't see it as a single. SISMS, ODGWBF, and INYBA would all make better singles. Just my opinion though.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @12:15PM (#322304)
  • yeah its worthy of single release
    east of eden -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @12:16PM (#322305)
    (User #21981 Info)
    • Re:black cloud by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday February 24 2009, @12:20PM
      • Re:black cloud by unrulygirl (Score:1) Tuesday February 24 2009, @02:19PM
    • Re:black cloud by Macsim (Score:1) Wednesday February 25 2009, @12:57AM
  • It is clearly (ok, that's just my opinion ;-) ) the best track on the record. Lyrically, sonically and vocally it is the all around best track. It would offer clear contrast to the Paris single that Cloud doesn't. Cloud is a good song as well but if it's to be a single, it should follow Skull instead.

dcn
    Anonymous -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @01:01PM (#322311)
  • Record companies aren't interested in releasing singles anymore. Give it a year or two and there will be no physical singles anymore.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @01:09PM (#322313)
  • That'll be lucky to make the Top 50.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @01:09PM (#322314)
  • "Black Cloud" is the weakest song on YOR, and one of the worst he's ever released.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @01:40PM (#322320)
  • ... my theory that since 2004 he no longer wants to release Alain Whyte songs as singles, not since I Have Forgiven Jesus. A pity as look at the chart positions. All missed top 10 except YHKM...

You Have Killed Me by Tobias #3
    Youngest Was Most Loved by Tobias #14
    In Future When All's by Tobias #17
    I Just Want To See The Boy by Tobias #16
    Thats How People Grow Up by Boorer #14
    All You Need Is Me by Tobias #24
    I'm Throwing Paris by Boorer #21
    Black Cloud by Boorer #??
    Anonymous -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @02:22PM (#322329)
  • That's what I think about Black Cloud; it's a quietly-glowing classic.
    goinghome -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @03:11PM (#322334)
    (User #12673 Info)
  • When he sings the words "Black Cloud, Black Cloud, Black Cloud" he sounds ridiculous. The music is boring and the sound of his voice is horrible. It is the only song I skip on the album. THis is a poor choice. There are other better choices. I thought Skull would be the next single. Not my favorite but a worthy single at least.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @03:29PM (#322337)
  • I didn't think much of Black Cloud at first,
    but its definately grown to be my second favorite song on YOR, second to Mamma.

Anyway, I think its a good choice because its definately more Radio friendly than Skull, Mamma, and even Birthday, atleast lyrically. Its also kinda mid rock tone, and sort of reminds me of the sound of Vauxhall
    Dior -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @05:02PM (#322350)
    (User #18985 Info)
  • ...but I told you so
    Pisspoor choice of single though, Skull or Mama would've shown some balls at least.

spinelessswine
    Anonymous -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @05:47PM (#322359)
  • Black Cloud is a terrible song. I try and try to make myself like it and I still think it is hokey and over the top. Single smingle...unless the song is featured on House or an MTV reality show, it isn't going to get downloaded digitally and that is where the numbers are these days. The press thus far for the album has been good. In my opinion, All You Need is Me was put out with bad timing and could have made some noise if it was packaged and promoted correctly. Packaging and promoting is never anything Moz's endless stream of management has ever gotten. But Moz won't do The Jingle Bell Ball for z100 in NY (nor should he!)...yes, he fits in at Coachella, but he just isn't someone SNL is running after (not since Your Arsenal!). Those venues sell songs...He has a loyal following, but he isn't going to compete with Lil Wayne or Nelly Furtado. He also keeps the company of losers like Russell Brand. That is a terrible choice as well. But I digress...
    Sumonessweetie -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @06:30PM (#322361)
    (User #20842 Info)
  • Black Cloud is a grower, in my opinion. Really I think “Skull” should be the next single without question.
    GetUpKid -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @07:30PM (#322370)
    (User #20290 Info)
  • Another single off this album is too much. It felt old when it came out with the 2 Greatest Hits inclusions.

Don't get me wrong I love Morrissey & would eagerly buy any single release for b-sides etc but doesn't a fourth release fly-in-the-face of everything Morrissey is (or perhaps was) about? (Maybe I've just answered that myself).
    Anonymous -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @08:29PM (#322374)
  • Personally, "When I Last Spoke To Carol" should be the next single, hands down; great sound, great story, great song.
    Criticliest -- Wednesday February 25 2009, @01:08AM (#322394)
    (User #22034 Info | http://anthologyofreason.spaces.live.com/blog/)
    political---social---cultural Relevancy is hard to come by these days
  • The opening to Black Cloud is fantastic...the reverbing chords, the rasping acoustic guitar... and then it all goes downhill. It's as it the lads were inspired and then suddenly Morrissey said "NO!, you must revert back to Southpaw Grammariorama!"
    Anonymous -- Wednesday February 25 2009, @01:26AM (#322395)
  • I will be buying it for the bsides, I thought I found my own little little gem in black cloud!...
    makes sense to me it's a single though. The opening and acoustic chords in the middle are ace.
    unklejunior -- Wednesday February 25 2009, @03:37AM (#322402)
    (User #21417 Info)
  • The most obvious three candidates as single material have already been released from the album.

There are some good tunes left on there but none of them, with the exception of maybe "Skull" would be commercial enough to be single material IMO.

Black Cloud isnt a bad album track but thats all it can ever be. If released as a single it will hardly inspire people to go buy the album.

Just my tuppence worth.....
    psillery -- Wednesday February 25 2009, @03:41AM (#322404)
    (User #1089 Info)
  • A bit shocked (Score:1, Interesting)

Personally I expected 'Carol' and then 'I'm OK by myself'. Not saying what I think of the songs it's just seemed to be obvious. 'I'm OK by myself' is this albums version of 'IWTSTBH' and 'Carol' is just a obvious chioce. I like 'black cloud' as an album track as it fits in nicely after 'Mama' but as a single it will probably flop. 'Paris' was a great single and it made a low level impact. Then again he should never of released 'ITFWAIW' and he did. I hope for some new B sides anyway. I hate it when there just live version of good songs he did 15-20 years ago.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday February 25 2009, @04:57AM (#322411)
  • I love that song so it should be a single, even though YOR is not a "singles" type CD. But the production on "Black Cloud" is jerry Finns finest work.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday February 25 2009, @05:39AM (#322415)
  • Maybe he is hoping that the "gimmick" of the Jeff Beck guitar solo will gain it more attention/airplay etcetera?
    Anonymous -- Wednesday February 25 2009, @07:35AM (#322418)
    • Re:Beck's luck by Anonymous (Score:1) Wednesday February 25 2009, @08:11AM
  • Black Cloud is an exceptional consideration as a single. Yes, I do agree with those out there that Something Is Squeezing My Skull would too, in fact, be even a better single to release as the next single. However Black Cloud does have a radio friendly sound/appeal as does SISMS and would still be an excellent choice to be released before or after. The production quality, the musical and lyrical tone/melodies are quite suitable for radio when comparing the remaining songs of the album. Although, all other tracks are, in my opinion, excellent tracks, they may be just that for cd consideration, not as potential single releases. All You Need Is Me was/in my opinion a poor choice and sounds like a filler or a decent b-side. I do agree with that When Last Spoke To Carol could be a potential single as a catchy song however the lyrical content may not be too suitable.
    pj1517 -- Wednesday February 25 2009, @09:31AM (#322428)
    (User #21823 Info)
  • Well i think that 'I'm Ok By Myself' or 'It's Not Your Birthday Anymore' are the best choice of new single, but then i'm not in the business, i just adore the songs.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday February 25 2009, @09:37AM (#322430)
  • It wouldn't suprise me if it was the new single as i had expected it to be released
    i think its a fairly average song
    moz voice sounds too strained, the song isn't what it could've been
    i'm betting ODGWBF is next
    Mozzalini Is Me -- Wednesday February 25 2009, @10:24AM (#322432)
    (User #22006 Info)
  • I think most of you are nuts when you say "Birthday" should be the next single. Although it's obviously the best song on the album, it's not what a radio programmers would put on the air these days therefore it would fail in the charts. Black Cloud could get some airplay giving it a chance for a top-20. The music is catchy enough for the average listener and most anyone can associate with the lyrics about unrequited love. It's the obvious choice for single from the remaining tracks.
    Personally I don't care what's played on the air since I'm only interested in new b-sides. However, I'm aware that if we want Moz to continue to release singles with new b-sides, then he(or label) has to put out the most radio-friendly song out as a single to achieve some chart success. No chart success means no further singles which translates to fewer b-sides for us.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday February 25 2009, @12:47PM (#322444)
  • Best idea so far! (Score:2, Insightful)

No artist should release any single from an album that has been released, those days are over. He should wait until after this first leg of the tour, then release a new song as a stand alone single with two or three b-sides. I'd buy that, maybe.
    yelahderaj -- Wednesday February 25 2009, @06:34PM (#322469)
    (User #21605 Info)
  • I really love Black Cloud. It is a great rocker and Moz sounds great. I really love this record, so much better than that Ringleader drab.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday February 25 2009, @08:51PM (#322475)
    • Re:Black Cloud by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday February 26 2009, @06:33AM
      • Re:Black Cloud by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday February 26 2009, @08:59AM
  • Here is a small acoustic tribute to a Morrissey' song, There's a light that never goes out, mixed with its spanish version by Mikel Erentxun : Esta luz nunca se apagará, & some grey images in between. That's my comment, thnx http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6elBEQqtipI [youtube.com]
    halfaword -- Thursday February 26 2009, @05:21AM (#322488)
    (User #22041 Info)
  • Just heard 'One Day Goodbye will be Farewell' on the radio here in the UK. (BBC 6 music)

This would be fantastic as a 7 inch. A classic Morrissey emotionally urgent, pithy summing up of life and its trials.

Possibly the only point on the album where the synths sound acceptable as well.

Maybe 'Carol' should be next and then 'Farewell' as the third release.

Black Cloud is a bit throwaway really, especially the lyrics. Not one of his best by a long shot. Not as bad as 'Sorry doesn't help' though..
    Anonymous -- Thursday February 26 2009, @06:38AM (#322492)
  • as the next single. As i've said elsewhere it starts of fairly promisingly with the dancey intro and Jeff Beck guitar work but then kind of retreats into 'I want the one i can't have' territory. Not bad but nothing that would make someone ,who is not a Moz fan, listening on the radio rush to the nearest record shop and buy it.
      If singles are to showcase the highlights of an album to the listener, which is what most artists do (not Moz), then 'Birthday' would be the best choice. It may be controversial lyrically but it does draw the listener in and his vocal is superb, soaring and beautiful.
      Part of the reason Moz is 'not got' by mainstream music fans (in my opinion) is that his greatest musical masterpieces are only album tracks or occasionally even only 'b' sides so non- fans don't ever hear them. Releasing 'Birthday' or even 'Carol' would be a good choice for the above reasons. If not either 'Skull' or 'One day' which are both fairly urgent tracks would be ok but 'Black cloud' will not trouble the top 20.
      In fact i'd lay money on the 'b' sides to the next single being superior to cloud.
    nevr playd symphony -- Monday March 02 2009, @07:51AM (#322996)
    (User #21571 Info)
  • ...if he chooses to make "Black Cloud" next single. The weakest track on the album and clearly not a single. With so many valuable songs on the album...
    skulll -- Thursday March 12 2009, @05:21PM (#324179)
    (User #22049 Info)

[ home | terms of service ]