posted by davidt on Tuesday February 24 2009, @12:00PM
Johan de Witt writes:
From Music Week:

After a bright start, helped by Morrissey’s appearances on Jonathan Ross and – more unexpectedly – The One Show, Years Of Refusal sold 39,203 copies to debut at number three. Morrissey’s 11th solo Top 10 album, it had a bigger opening week than his Greatest Hits album, which debuted at number five on sales of 27,873 last February but fell far short of both his last two studio albums, Ringleader Of The Tormentors, which opened at number one on sales of 63,709 in April 2006; and You Are The Quarry, which secured a number two debut on sales of 74,995 in May 2004.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Sparks (Score:1, Interesting)

Does anyone here a snippet of "this town ain't big enough for the both of us" by sparks on side 2 of the new record?
    Anonymous -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @12:13PM (#322302)
  • I (genuinely) enjoy reading your statistics. I have always been interested in the charts. But did Quarry really sell almost twice as much as YOR?? Maybe it did.

The sad truth is that less and less people buy records these days - the logic being if you can download it for free, then why bother.

I am mourning the death of record shops. I enjoy nothing more than spending a lazy saturday going to the record shops in the London west end. But it's now becoming history.....not many shops there any more.

Anonymous -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @01:00PM (#322310)
  • The reduction in sales of YOR reflects the parallel rise in downloading, and in particular free downloading. This isn't just unique to Morrissey, but to most artists.
    It's becoming obvious that record sales are no longer a valid barometer of an artist's appeal or success. Think how many ticket sales Morrissey has racked up for this latest tour in Britain alone, at around £35 a pop, and compare that in monetary value to the sales of YOR.

He still has a formidable fanbase; a fanbase that will shell out big money to see him live, but who now seem to favour aquiring his studio output for free if they can get it.
    Maybe Morrissey should do what Radiohead did and give the album away for whatever the buyer wishes to pay for it. It may not make as much money, but at least he, and the record company would know how many copies were sold.
    Or maybe he should release the album himself and pocket all the cash that comes his way...cut out the middle man.

The old ways, it seems, are no more.
    Requiescant Inpacce -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @02:30PM (#322330)
    (User #10687 Info)
    "You should not go to them...let them come to you...just like I do..."
  • Hits Daily Double Final:

10 PLANT/KRAUSS ROUNDER 30,791 -58%
    RAISING SAND

-- 11 MORRISSEY LOST HIGHWAY 29,658 --
    YEARS OF REFUSAL
    Cavour -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @03:10PM (#322333)
    (User #16130 Info)
  • being the week after the brit awards also means a lot of older albums are getting new life by bands getting their awards so the likes of kings of leon, the killers and coldplay all zoomed back up the charts...shame no number 1 for moz
    Anonymous -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @03:51PM (#322339)
    • Re:album sales by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday February 25 2009, @01:20PM
  • Cameron (Score:0, Troll)

The PM is jerkin his gerkin to I'm OK by Myself right now in the bathroom at 10 Downing
    Sumonessweetie -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @06:40PM (#322365)
    (User #20842 Info)
    • Re:Cameron by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday February 25 2009, @02:50PM
      • Re:Cameron by Sumonessweetie (Score:1) Wednesday February 25 2009, @05:40PM

[ home | terms of service ]