posted by davidt on Sunday February 22 2009, @02:00PM
Frank's Wild Years posted in the forums:

Years Of Refusal enters UK album chart at #3

Very solid effort considering it's only a week after Lily Allen's release and the masses of Brit Award winners vying for the top spot this time around.

1. (2) ONLY BY THE NIGHT (Kings Of Leon) 22 wks
2. (1) IT’S NOT ME IT’S YOU (Lily Allen) 2 wks
3. (NEW) YEARS OF REFUSAL (Morrissey) 1 wk

---
Radio One Official Top 40 Albums Chart
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • I find it quite hilarious that all week the talk has been about Moz beating Lily Allen & then Kings Of Leon creep up & take the spoils.
    Number 3 in post Brits week is pretty good going & I'm glad Elbow in particualr have gotten a bump off the back of it.
    AnthonyGlamour -- Sunday February 22 2009, @02:54PM (#322125)
    (User #7618 Info | http://www.myspace.com/anthonycutt)
  • I was listening to the show (only because my daughter insisted) and got a real thrill when it was announced! Couldn't really believe it at first, but was absolutely ecstatic!!!!
    dbowie -- Sunday February 22 2009, @03:18PM (#322129)
    (User #16745 Info)
    I am human and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does.
    • Re:Superb by goinghome (Score:0) Sunday February 22 2009, @03:29PM
  • Kings Of Leon (Score:1, Redundant)

They're a prime example of the relevancy that Morrissey lost long ago.
    Nick The Name -- Sunday February 22 2009, @07:57PM (#322149)
    (User #20764 Info)
  • This isn't that bad. Could have been better but it will do. Now- bring on the tour!!!

thetexasbloke
    Anonymous -- Sunday February 22 2009, @09:21PM (#322158)
  • He must be pissed as all hell not to get #1.
    Anonymous -- Sunday February 22 2009, @09:49PM (#322160)
  • I've just about given up on singles placings these days, but Morrissey belongs at Number 1 in the album chart, every time. I am disgusted. Not a nice thing to read on a Monday morning. Yamaha
    Anonymous -- Monday February 23 2009, @12:30AM (#322168)
  • guess that means Moz should have sold at least around 50,000 as they were neck and neck earlier in the week. Anything over 50,000 is a pretty good tally. What did ROTT sell in first week? 60,000?
    Anonymous -- Monday February 23 2009, @03:29AM (#322186)
  • well, i know Moz did 'the one show' and stuff but when you consider how much time, money and effort goes into promoting these two...'ahem', "artistes", then no.3 is a pretty good showing.
    The thing that counts is sales compared to his previous albums. I think this album will do ok.

Remember, back in the day The Smiths sold around 320.000 copies of an album while Dire Straits sold 3.2 million...it's not all about 'units sold' is it?
    Anonymous -- Monday February 23 2009, @05:09AM (#322196)
  • I heard that L.A kep her album above Morrissey's by going round every record shop in the U.K and stuffing every copy of Y.O.R. she coud find up her 'Min' ....and still had room to fit the K.O.L. in too......and the Dagenham Girl Pipers...is there no end to this girls talents....!?
    Anonymous -- Monday February 23 2009, @05:43AM (#322200)
  • What is wrong - I thought he is an icon, I thought everyone in Britain adores this man, I thought you need to be English to understand what he is saying:

And what - a lame American band who absolutely sucks - I mean - terrible, manages to take the top spot

I get the Lily Allen thing - he she' topless all the time and is dating that guy from the Streets or whatever and sings in that accent and touches all the kid's hearts

But Kings of Leon - come on people - where is your pride, where is your heritage:

If this is thanks for Dunkirk we don't want it
    Come on, who is next Rod Stewart
    Come on Brits - take a stand - make it happen

moho -- Monday February 23 2009, @05:50AM (#322202)
    (User #10663 Info)
  • Some people are missing the point here.If Morrissey played at the Brits(of cause he never would)but, say he did play at The Brits 2009 then he would've of got to number 1 in the uk album chart easy.Kings of Leon had unfair promotion.
    Anonymous -- Monday February 23 2009, @06:44AM (#322209)
  • damn leak DLers

scum
    Celibate Cry <[email protected]> -- Monday February 23 2009, @07:56AM (#322214)
    (User #220 Info)
    and the hills are alive with celibate cries
    • Re:damn by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday February 23 2009, @06:49PM
      • Re:damn by Celibate Cry (Score:1) Tuesday February 24 2009, @01:01AM
  • I'm terribly sorry everyone, but it might be my fault (partly) I bought my copy of Years of Refusal from CDWOW. I think I've inadvertantly helped put Moz at number 1 in Hong Kong or maybe even Malaysia as that's where it seems to have been produced, presumably for the South East Asian market. Doubt it counts for UK charts as the small print on the reverse says "Not for sale in the European economic area or Switzerland".
    Also on the back of the the "I'm throwing my Arms Around Paris" paltry chart showing, note that U2 only got to number 12 with their new single. Every pre studio album release single since 1988's 'Desire' has made it to number , so I suspect we have to shift our view of how relevant charts are.
    On the up side the last few weeks have seen Moz jump around 10000 listeners a week on the lastfm artist chart.

Cheerio now.
    scotty -- Monday February 23 2009, @12:42PM (#322234)
    (User #8242 Info)
    • Re:Was it me? by Cavour (Score:1) Tuesday February 24 2009, @01:22AM
      • Re:Was it me? by scotty (Score:1) Thursday February 26 2009, @01:35PM
  • considering the record is "just ok"
    Anonymous -- Monday February 23 2009, @05:28PM (#322256)
  • I think this is just the beginning of the longevity of this album. It is so young, fresh and raw with the depth and maturity only Moz can provide within a 3-4 minute pop song. Baby Browne really seems to be symbolic of this rebirth in energy (I can't get over how cute that kid is, OMG!).

A good sign (in Los Angeles, at least) is that it's being sold and featured in accessible places like Target (Eagle Rock, yo! 2 racks! And it wasn't me that put them there!). It's really too bad Indie isn't around on the FM dial because they'd be playing the hell out of Paris, I think. Huge props to Jose Maldonado for an awesome inaugural Breakfast with The Smiths/Morrissey on Indie online, and of course massive applause to David T for bravely stepping up to the mic. This airtime is historic in Moz fandome and it's amazing to consider how far we've all come from fanzines to the internet, growing up and being the target club demographic (for a while at least!), forming our own (sometimes cover) bands, and now a regularly-dedicated two hours on the airwaves! All for the love of this man and his music. It's just amazing.

And with Years of Refusal, it just confirms Moz still has a lot of music-love in him. Hopefully he will share at least a couple more albums of his art and heart with all of us.

Speaking of artwork, I was admiring the beautiful photography and oil painting of the Paris single when I turned it around an...WAHHAHH! It will be truly impossible to wipe the grin off my face at the shows now and truly hard to not want to touch and kiss every one of them. I wonder if we have Kristeen Young and her mischievous stage comments to thank for this? Has Moz been put to task? Or is this just the best pro-vinyl, pro-PETA ("rather go naked than wear fur") message ever? In any case, Moz does emerge as the most solid-bodied lion of the pack. Boz's expression is just priceless (the my-wife-is-going-to-kill-me-for-getting-talked-into-this look?;). Matt and Solomon (looking more and more like a model when he's sporting longer hair) have the swimmer's bods. And Jesse's got that nice Cali/Texas Chicano tan. Tour of Irresistible is what it will be!

And random associations:
    The album's font styles somehow made me gravitate toward Carole King's Tapestry. Anyone else?
    There's a bit of November Spawned a Monster in the Paris video (imho): Moz wearing bronze/soft-black eye shadow (that could have also been Sing Your Life, anyway, haven't seen that in a while), the tambourine, the hands out and forward, the joyful dancing around.

The YOR/TOR momentum has only just begun.
    romeogirl -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @01:22AM (#322274)
    (User #2891 Info)
  • I'm glad Lily Allen didn't get the number 1 spot. It's just a shame she beat Moz, as everyone will be Lily Who? in 10 years time.
    I have to say that I love the Kings of Leon album though. I don't think it'll be an album to stand the test of time, and it certainly doesn't have the myriad layers of a Morrissey album, but in terms of capturing a moment in indie / pop music, Kings of Leon are it.
    Mozzersgirl -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @04:53AM (#322286)
    (User #14229 Info)
    "There's more evil in the charts than in an al-Qaeda suggestion box" - Bill Bailey
  • I mean as a fan of Morrissey and a record collector I will buy the physical product but I downloaded the new Kings Of Leon album and thank god I did. I truly liked that band for a while but no they sound like U2 with an accent. They went from different to ordinary. I remember playing there first album to my parents after buying it in the first week. They cringed and my brother whined and went back to whatever was on the radio at the time. Now they all like it and I've heard sex on fire so many times I can't play an E or a C#m on my guitar without screaming.

I like the new album and I wish people wouldn't argue online when people disagree with there opinions. I actually think with a reshuffle of the order and 1 less track(THPGU) it would be alot better. To be honest the order of the songs is not great. It's fine for the first few tracks then the album becomes muddled.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday February 24 2009, @08:01AM (#322291)
  • Well he did do some work himself mind you!
    Driving along in my automobile, with Sid Nettle beside me at the wheel...
  • Why all these redundants, you redundant fool?
    Driving along in my automobile, with Sid Nettle beside me at the wheel...
  • I love this record. There's so much passion in his voice. I hope he makes it to no.1 where he belongs.
    Anonymous -- Monday February 23 2009, @02:27PM (#322241)
  • 4 replies beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]