posted by davidt on Thursday February 19 2009, @11:00AM
Liam A writes:
eBay item 300293955898

No preorder sign on this and selling multiple copies. Claims it to be the real deal but this is eBay. Does confirm the track listing and the artwork which is interesting though.
---
Originally released in 1995, Southpaw Grammar was Morrissey’s 5th solo album that charted at No.4 in the UK charts on release, and featured the fans favourite singles ‘Dagenham Dave’ and ‘Boy Racer’.

This re-issue has become a very personal project to Morrissey, who himself requested that he be able to re-sequence the tracklisting, adding in 4 previously unreleased tracks, and give it completely new artwork - he had come to despise the original cover (it was previously the only album artwork that Morrissey himself didn’t feature on!).

The artist has worked closely with us throughout this project, to re-create what he believed to be one of his best albums; this is clearly visible in his extensive personally written liner notes.

The album also features new design by Anthony Lui, and previously unseen photographs by Linder Sterling.

Tracklisting:

1. The boy racer
2. Do your best and don’t worry
3. Reader meet author
4. Honey, you know where to find me
5. Dagenham Dave
6. Southpaw
7. Best friend on the payroll
8. Fantastic bird
9. The operation
10. The teachers are afraid of the pupils
11. You should have been nice to me
12. Nobody loves us
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • I don't think so (Score:3, Insightful)

This seller has been selling all Moz CDs way before the actual release date, promising to send them when they are indeed released. Treat with extreme caution.
    uncleskinny -- Thursday February 19 2009, @11:05AM (#321737)
    (User #7815 Info)
    And so I drank one, it became four, and when I fell on the floor, I drank more
  • Southpaw grammar is one of Morrisseys finest moments. A true masterpiece of energy, wit, desperation and beautiful, beautiful music. It made Nirvana sound like inhibited nuns - and it still does. Pure genius in every track, including the fabolous b-sides.

For me only Viva Hate is a "better" album.

Cosmo Vitelli, Roma
    Anonymous -- Thursday February 19 2009, @11:51AM (#321748)
    • Re:Masterpiece by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday February 19 2009, @12:27PM
      • Re:Masterpiece by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday February 19 2009, @05:01PM
    • Re:Masterpiece by crinklecutbeatroot (Score:1) Thursday February 19 2009, @10:02PM
  • Southpaw Grammar,8.99
    east of eden -- Thursday February 19 2009, @01:08PM (#321768)
    (User #21981 Info)
    • Re:hmv uk by Celibate Cry (Score:1) Friday February 20 2009, @08:26AM
      • Re:hmv uk by east of eden (Score:1) Friday February 20 2009, @12:18PM
  • It might not say pre-order, but the small print says it will be posted "Upon Release April 27th 2009 And On The Next Available Posting Slot"

And, it's sold already, so non left.
    Dave2006 -- Thursday February 19 2009, @01:32PM (#321774)
    (User #18005 Info)
  • is such a beautiful song, but it was released as a b-side of "Dagenham Dave". So just three "new" songs.
    Anonymous -- Thursday February 19 2009, @02:02PM (#321784)
  • Well, not this one, but one from a legit dealer.

My point is, the three new tracks are worth it.
    eugenius -- Thursday February 19 2009, @02:28PM (#321786)
    (User #1665 Info | http://www.cherryplucker.com/)
    I'm almost sure you can do better than that.
  • The title is written like the Bowie 'Changes' LP.

An unlikely tribute methinks.
    suaveharv -- Thursday February 19 2009, @04:17PM (#321802)
    (User #16144 Info)
    • Re:Artwork by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday February 19 2009, @07:52PM
  • Day Late (Score:1, Troll)

This album should have been buried and forgotten.

The entire production seemed like a group of poseurs trying to man themselves up a bit for the kids.

At the time of its release it came across as a clumsy, disinterested attempt by Morrissey to sound like his peers, and to fulfill his remaining contractual obligations. The lyrics were comically bad, and they were Morrissey's first consistent sign of weakness in that department.

Romanticizing the album now, or even using words like "masterpiece" when describing it shows just how much mind control Morrissey has over his fans, and how poorly history is remembered as time goes on.

"You were a boy before you became a man. I don't see the joy."

And so it began.
    Nick The Name -- Thursday February 19 2009, @04:50PM (#321811)
    (User #20764 Info)
    • Re:Day Late by Anonymous (Score:1) Thursday February 19 2009, @09:19PM
    • Re:Day Late (Score:2, Insightful)

No mind games, mate... I just listen to the album and really like all the songs on there. I think it's blokes like you who point out that it doesn't sound a thing like "What's the Story, Morning Glory" as a way to criticize it, but that's a stupid analogy.

And you really think Morrissey was trying to sound like someone or something else going on around him? That's just stupid, too.

Let me guess...you never got over the fact that there were only 8 songs and 2 of them were over 10 minutes long?

Thought so...

dewdrop -- Thursday February 19 2009, @09:34PM (#321838)
      (User #2326 Info)
    • Re:Day Late by uncleskinny (Score:1) Thursday February 19 2009, @11:52PM
      • Re:Day Late by Nick The Name (Score:1) Friday February 20 2009, @01:47AM
        • Re:Day Late by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday February 20 2009, @03:17AM
        • Re:Day Late (Score:2, Insightful)

Hi Nick

You're right. And wrong!

I read quite a bit on this forum and am not surprised on the intolerance of negative posters on here. Morrissey has been a very important artist to me over the years and in a way I admire the incredible, worship-like devotion from some of his fans. I will never forget seeing that love for the first time at Aston Villa leisure centre in '95. The incredible devotion displayed was genuinely moving and it remains to this day my favourite ever gig, even if Morrissey has been surpassed a number of times as my most beloved artist. Problem is that inevitably that level of devotion does lead, in my opinion, to a lack of objectivity at times. The best examples of this are when fans are intolerant of negative posts (especially perennially negative posters - I have no idea if you 'always' are negative as I don't recall nor have looked for other posts by you (Who would?!)) and when they blindly defend Morrissey's behaviour or actions out of their devotion, when they probably would decry them if said/done by another. So my sympathies to you're abuse, though I would say you're perfectly capable of defending yourself. I have no problem with (intelligent) negative posting. Our freedon to express really is about our most treasured freedom...

Southpaw Grammar: You're wrong! I just do not understand why this album polarises people so completely. Some love it, others think it stinks. VERY few sit in the middle so far as I can tell. I think it's terrific, always have and increasingly do. Lyrically it's not so ambitious, but for me, Morrissey (and music in general) has always been less about what the artist says as how they say (sing) it. One of the main reasons that I love Morrissey is the RHYTHM of his singing, the way he intertwines his words into the meoldy and the rhythm of the other instruments over which they sit. This is in great evidence on SG. They're all great rock songs, thrusting and aggressive. The production is as good as any Morrissey record and on a par with V&I and Maladjusted (another grossly underated record IMHO..). The vocal is spot on and the guitar sounds are FANTASTIC - Boz and Alain smashing into us. Tho cover - I LOVE IT! The image is brilliant and the orange colouring really interesting. That coveted RCA logo gives it a timeless quality too. So it doesn't have the great man's face on it...SO WHAT! The new artework is dreary in comparison and unnecessary. REgarding the running order I would have to say that's a huge mistake. One of the best things about this short, taught little record is that it's running order is perfect. I like the idea of a new version with the B-sides, but either put them at the end or intersperse them carefully into the existing run. That record HAS to finish with Southpaw, it just does.

Right, that's enough. To summarise, you should be able to write what you like without the blindly obsessed getting their knickers in a twist and you should also revisit (the original) Southpaw Grammar. Play it at home, when you're busy doing stuff and play it VERY loud. It's bloody ACE.

Ben
          Anonymous -- Friday February 20 2009, @10:31AM (#321901)
    • Re:Day Late by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday February 21 2009, @12:31AM
    • Re:Day Late by carnal artist (Score:1) Saturday February 21 2009, @05:09PM
  • i think it will be odd to hear it in Moz's new track sequence...here it'll start with 5 shorter pop tracks and the lengthy ones people tend to have issues with(hence the fan edits) towards but not at the end.
    skellngtn -- Thursday February 19 2009, @07:05PM (#321824)
    (User #21081 Info)
  • I did see the preorder warning in the small print last night when I looked again. Some people obviously decided this dealer was trustworthy. After years of eBaying my instinct was not to buy it from them. However, unlike the HMV site or anywhere else I know of, this at least gives us some details.

It is only 3 new songs in my opinion as well. Nobody loves us is well known. Mostly because it was included on the 'My Early Burglary Years' release. It was an Americain release but very easy to buy over here. I bought my copy in HMV last year. It's a welcome addition to anyones Morrissey collection. The cover is in a similar style to the the new southpaw one on ebay.
    Liam A -- Friday February 20 2009, @02:34AM (#321859)
    (User #21983 Info)
  • you should never mess with perfection

Anonymous -- Friday February 20 2009, @04:15AM (#321871)
  • What, no tacky badge ? ? ? I'll just stick with my original copy thanks
    shambles -- Friday February 20 2009, @09:04AM (#321894)
    (User #15180 Info)
  • "You Must Please Remember" is a fine b-side and should have been remastered and included on the re-release in lieu of "Fantastic Bird", which should be saved for an eventual remastered "Your Arsenal".
    yelahderaj -- Friday February 20 2009, @03:27PM (#321940)
    (User #21605 Info)
  • Can't exactly call the new songs new, but they are new to Southpaw. Nobody Loves Us is one of my absolute favorite Morrissey songs and I am very happy to see it included here.
    Although I have always enjoyed the album in its original state, I always found Southpaw to be a bit brief, although its bookends are each around double length. Then, when Early Burglary Years came out almost immediately afterward, I found it curious that some of the best songs from that album were not just included on Grammar to begin with.
    Well, only Nobody Loves Us is fine with me, and I love the other B-Sides/unreleased material on the reissue as well.
    Anonymous -- Saturday February 21 2009, @06:19AM (#321993)
  • Does anyone know, is it going to get a vinyl release?

Please do tell.

I would happily part with a crisp £20 note for Morrissey on 12 inches of the sexy shiny extra thick black stuff.

Otherwise, I really can't be arsed Mozzer old fruit, and I'll be downloading it.
    chump_change -- Saturday February 21 2009, @05:26PM (#322059)
    (User #15618 Info)
  • I'm worried that the 2 long tracks(Southpaw and Teachers) might be edited to make a more conventional album structure. As long as they retain thier original running times, I am happy with the release.
    Lee Stlikely -- Wednesday February 25 2009, @04:32PM (#322459)
    (User #21610 Info)
  • Boxers and sunny???
    Anonymous -- Thursday February 26 2009, @09:45AM (#322504)

[ home | terms of service ]