posted by davidt on Wednesday February 18 2009, @10:30AM
Kewpie sends the link to the post in the forums by maynard morrissey (via Morrissey reddit):

Excerpt:

I noticed that some people had come to this site via a posting on the 'Morrissey Solo' site and I navigated to the site to see if there were any comments. One or two people commented that they found the printing of his letter in the 'Viva Hate' songbook to be a little 'creepy'. I can only say that I thought long and hard about scanning the letter for inclusion. The reason I went ahead was for various points; firstly there was nothing particularly 'personal' in the letter which I think Morrissey could be embarrassed by. Secondly, I think it's quite a historical moment in the life of Morrissey when he finally makes the brave decision to leave the Smiths behind and start his solo career and as such, I thought it was a moment worth sharing with his fans. I also wanted to put the record straight about the fact it was me and NOT Vini Reilly who wrote the songs that went on to become 'Viva Hate'.
---
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Well done Street. (Score:2, Insightful)

IDK who would of said it was a bit "creepy" for him to scan and submit the letter Moz wrote him. I concur with him in the fact that it is Moz/Smiths History 101. As an avid follower of Moz/Smiths since '88/'89 I hole heartily appreciated every tid bit of news/articles/photographs etc etc people on the inside wish to share with fans.
    Thank you Mr. Street for sharing your wealth with us.
    Gin N Tonic Jil -- Wednesday February 18 2009, @10:48AM (#321637)
    (User #7276 Info)
    You're not down with who I am but, look at you now you're all in my hands...tonight I'm a Rock N' Roll Star!!
  • Who Cares... (Score:1, Interesting)

...what his reasons were for posting notes and letters? I found it interesting and wonderful to look at. To see actual lyrics and notes scratched, scribbled and written in its raw studio form was fantastic. I always wondered what it was like in the studio when Morrissey would record his vocals to the music. Now we have some clue as to how it was all done.
    The letter was a nice addition too.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday February 18 2009, @10:50AM (#321638)
  • i don't know how moz would feel about it going 'public' but it's not embarrassing to him in any way. it's quite lovely really.

i remember when that record came out with such fondness. we were so excited just to get the 'suedehead' single on import. we were dancing in the bedroom. i was giddy with joy.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday February 18 2009, @12:02PM (#321646)
  • comments (Score:1, Informative)

Steven,

There are tons of trolls on this otherwise wonderful website. It was insanely interesting and generous of you to share your songbook and the letter. Please consider sharing more in the future.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday February 18 2009, @12:07PM (#321648)
    • Re:comments by handsomedevilboy (Score:1) Wednesday February 18 2009, @08:29PM
      • Re:comments by handsomedevilboy (Score:1) Wednesday February 18 2009, @08:39PM
    • Re:comments by jwizjam (Score:1) Thursday February 19 2009, @10:42AM
  • He shouldn't have apologized. Let them all talk! The site is very entertaining and informative.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday February 18 2009, @12:11PM (#321649)
  • Dear Stephen (Score:1, Informative)

If you don't know this site, there's people who'll complain about anything! Half the time Morrissey gets the abuse so what chance does anyone else have? So don't listen to the criticism. I looked at your site and thought it was really good, especially the letter. I agree it was interesting to read and I'm glad you posted it. And I can't see Morrissey having any problem with it either, there's nothing embarassing in it. If anything it puts him in a positive light.
    I was born a year after Viva Hate came out. But I'd like to thank you for creating great music, music that saved my life when I discovered it. Morrissey has been the only person to understand me but his lyrics wouldn't be as half as powerful if he didn't have great music to back them up, music from the likes of Marr, Whyte, Boorer and ofcourse yourself. Viva Hate is and always will be one of my favourite albums. Its just beautiful.
    I don't know what happened between yourself and Morrissey that meant you no longer created music together but I suppose it doesn't really matter now. Viva Hate will always stand the time as one of Morrissey's greatest works. Thank you
    Anonymous -- Wednesday February 18 2009, @12:44PM (#321652)
  • On to lighter subjects.
    Please come back to Morrissey. You were just the best he's ever had, hands down. (In My opinion of course). Well, only second to maybe Marr, heh.
    Anyway, much love to you and all your works.
    Dior -- Wednesday February 18 2009, @05:09PM (#321686)
    (User #18985 Info)
  • Wizardry (Score:1, Troll)

Stephen Street is a veritable archive of The Smiths' sound, which he put to good use when Morrissey went solo.

Even when listened to today, Street's production comes across as truly "alternative."

It's a shame that he was yet another victim of Morrissey's cowardice.

Nick The Name -- Thursday February 19 2009, @01:14AM (#321704)
    (User #20764 Info)
    • Re:Wizardry by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday February 19 2009, @07:53AM
      • Re:Wizardry by Nick The Name (Score:1) Friday February 20 2009, @02:14AM
        • Re:Wizardry by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday February 20 2009, @09:54AM
  • The great news that Stephen Street is working on the new Smiths-reissues with Johnny Marr, as mentioned in the diary, gets very little attention. Bloody typical!
    Anonymous -- Thursday February 19 2009, @01:27AM (#321705)
  • The whole thing was very cool to see. You are my favourite producer ever and I'm sorry that Morrissey and yourself parted ways. I guess these things happen. I'm sure if Morrissey had a problem with it he would let you know. He hasn't been shy in that area as you well know. I always hoped if I ever did make it as a musicain that you would produce for me. It's very unlikely now however. Good Luck in the future!
    Liam A -- Thursday February 19 2009, @02:56AM (#321708)
    (User #21983 Info)
  • you just had some chords to work on, when Reily
    came in the recordings amd music came in flow,
    so IMHO is/was Viny the teabag in the hot pot of water, and you gratefull worked and recorded
    witg it

but don't come telling Vini was just a guitarplayer who got a chance

why would he lie about that, he didn't have before and after wirked wit Morrissey, he was
    very busy in the , lets say, musicworld

i remeber you got and Morrissey got a difference
    about a thing, and than you sue'd him

Do you have any feelings, coming here years after
    nothing happened

go and make the new Placebo or Depeche Mode album
    altenative rock isn't really your style
    Celibate Cry <[email protected]> -- Thursday February 19 2009, @08:09AM (#321727)
    (User #220 Info)
    and the hills are alive with celibate cries
    • Re:wrong by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday February 19 2009, @06:47PM
      • Re:wrong by Celibate Cry (Score:1) Friday February 20 2009, @11:55PM
  • Stephen, Please don't allow anonymous posters to take too much of your thoughts. Uhm, enough is too much.
    Hugh
    Morrissey the 23rd <[email protected]> -- Wednesday February 18 2009, @04:55PM (#321683)
    (User #910 Info | http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Morrisseythe23rd)
  • I agree with you. I think some people can't get past their own voyeurism. They liked seeing the letter, therefore it's OK to publish the letter. Sorry, it's not OK and they should find some principles.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday February 18 2009, @05:06PM (#321684)
  • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]