posted by davidt on Tuesday February 17 2009, @01:00PM
mcrickson writes:
February 16th, 2009 NME Article:

Morrissey Reveals Retirement Plans - NME.com

FORMER SMITH'S FRONTMAN HINTS AT WHEN HE MIGHT CALL IT A DAY

Morrissey has suggested that he might retire after five more years in the music business.

The former Smiths frontman said that the chances of him carrying on as a singer for much longer after his 55th birthday were "slim". He is currently 49.

When asked if he could continue as a 55 or 60 year-old he told XFM, "I think it’s incredibly slim. For Heaven's sake! Really?"

He also talked about other older musicians, and how he believed few remain relevant into older age.

"I assume most people lose it because they become satisfied and they achieve everything they ever set out to achieve," he said. "More to the point, they become personally satisfied and that they're quite happy and it doesn't matter any more.

"It's very interesting that it's very hard to think of anybody who ages and still manages to mean anything."
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • With the right musicians, he could do his best solo work in later life. Imagine his time-ripened voice set against piano/string/acoustic instruments playing beautiful melancholic tunes.

As to his last quote, the obvious example is Johnny Cash - his last five albums are tremendous and outstrip anything he did since the early 70s. The cause of that, of course, was his bravery in working with Rubin, who challenged him out of his comfort zone....

But JC is not the only one. Bowie's "Heathen" and "Reality" were at the very least a comparative return to form.

Springsteen still puts out good albums, if not classic ones.

There's also Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson intermittently, Loretta Lynn, BB King's last album was strong and he is 84! So Morrissey shouldn't retire - he should view ageing with this unique lens. My only wish is that he works with new musicians - ones who can play more tunefully and delicately (though I do think Alain is unfairly underrated)
    Anonymous -- Tuesday February 17 2009, @01:11PM (#321534)
  • Oh shit (Score:2, Funny)

I better quickly buy tickets to as many shows I can go to.

Oh wait a second, Oh morrissey you almost got me...AGAIN!!! You clever swine.

This makes it the third tour in a row he hinted at retirement as tickets are on sale. I suggest he tries something new. NEW=relevance.

I still love you MOZ...and I love YOR. Get rid of Jesse Tobias please.

Old age could equal good music. Johnny Cash as someone pointed out. And my favorite David Bowie album is Heathen...released 2002.
    Puddle -- Tuesday February 17 2009, @01:38PM (#321541)
    (User #15599 Info)
  • The first-hand interview is still up and certainly worth a listen, roaming further than just this lightly-touched-on topic - http://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=09/02/13/1523223 [morrissey-solo.com]
    goinghome -- Tuesday February 17 2009, @02:56PM (#321549)
    (User #12673 Info)
  • How about... (Score:1, Interesting)

Bob Dylan? Shit for the best part of 20 years before storming back with three brilliant albums, all full of brilliant musings about the nature of getting old. Can't help thinking Moz would be good at that!
    Anonymous -- Tuesday February 17 2009, @03:21PM (#321553)
  • is the day that I stop being excited about new music getting released. I hope to god he graces us with at least 2 or 3 more albums. What is left to look forward to? An autobiography would be nice but we all know that it would be written about everybody BUT himself.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday February 17 2009, @03:35PM (#321557)
  • Hmm, I don't know Moz.

Paul Simon is incredible, genius, and he's nearly 70.

He still writes and performs with the same passion and beauty as 20 years ago.

His genius is still completely relevant.

You could do it!!! Please try, at least...
    Anonymous -- Wednesday February 18 2009, @03:12AM (#321595)
  • Morrissey is a pop star at heart, no matter what he says. The 'look' is very important to him, being 'of the moment' equally so. Somehow I can't imagine him doing the whole Dylan, Cash, Cohen, thing and growing old gracefully. I love YoR because it sounds so incredibly unlike the work of most 49 year old rock stars. And, amazingly, it doesn't sound like a middle-aged man rocking out with the kids. It sounds just like a Morrissey album. My only hope is that, in the next few years, he produces at least one more quiet, reflective gem like Vauxhall and I...but, otherwise, something tells me this is a man who "will not go quietly into that good night".
    Anonymous -- Wednesday February 18 2009, @06:07AM (#321608)
  • I went to see a 70+ year old Leonard Cohen last year and it was one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

It all depends what kind of music you make. If you're whole image was about being a rebellious, wild-living, rock n' roller like The Stones or Guns N Roses, then you can look ridiculous, but if you're a more contemplative, cerebral 'artiste' then you can go on as long as you want to. It's almost a totally different genre.

Anonymous -- Wednesday February 18 2009, @07:30AM (#321616)
  • ## After Years of Refusal and ROTT and YATQ there's
    enough proof for anyone to see (and listen) that there >IS plenty of fire left in the engine room yet (and Boz.)

Carry-on, Carry-on,

Love,
    your imaginary,
    Strawberry.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday February 18 2009, @08:16AM (#321621)
  • When Morrissey does retire, I'm afraid to even think about the various "best of's" and other compilations that will suffice.

Really, I don't blame him. The money's gotta keep flowing in somehow!
    Anonymous -- Thursday February 19 2009, @01:30PM (#321773)
  • 2 replies beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]