posted by davidt on Thursday February 05 2009, @11:00AM
german film star writes:
The February/March issue of the New Zealand music magazine Rip It Up features a lengthy interview in London with Morrissey - 'Bigmouth's Only NZ Print Interview', according to the cover. (No mention of whether Morrissey plans to reschedule his New Zealand tour though.) Topics include the new LP, songwriting, Jerry Finn's passing, critics, Smiths reunion rumours, as well as Morrissey and The Smiths' enduring influence. I've transcribed the article in full and posted it at my Morrissey website Lucky Lisp. Follow the link to read.

Photo of Morrissey dressed in a sailor's uniform and flexing his muscles not included!

I should also add I've recently posted a number of other lengthy, older Morrissey/Smiths articles at both The Smiths File Online & Lucky Lisp. As far as I am aware these items are not available at any other Smiths/Morrissey sites. I hope they will provide some enjoyable reading.

The Smiths File Online:
- 'Magnificent Obsessions', Melody Maker, November 26, 1983
- 'These Disarming Men', New Musical Express, February 4, 1984
- 'Laughter In Paradise', Sounds, June 14, 1986
- The Smiths & Sandie Shaw (page) - includes various recently-added items of interest

Lucky Lisp:
- 'Morrissey Comes Out (For A Drink)', New Musical Express, May 18, 1991
- 'The Guv'nor Returns', New Musical Express, April 17, 2004

Please note you may need to scroll down the page to find these items.

Enjoy!

Jason, Lucky Lisp & The Smiths File Online
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • many thanks for posting.
    Maurice
    Anonymous -- Thursday February 05 2009, @11:30AM (#320392)
  • "I'm in love with a German film star"
    mozmal -- Thursday February 05 2009, @12:38PM (#320397)
    (User #17231 Info)
    "chips with cream for the last time"
    • Re:Many thanks by german film star (Score:1) Thursday February 05 2009, @03:31PM
    • Re:Many thanks by Tingle (Score:1) Friday February 06 2009, @10:20AM
      • Re:Many thanks by Anonymous (Score:1) Friday February 06 2009, @03:28PM
  • Nice read (Score:1, Funny)

Thanks, that was a nice article. I'm glad Morrissey didn't smack the author with the Corona bottle when the Smiths reunion topic reared its head.
    Anonymous -- Thursday February 05 2009, @01:15PM (#320399)
  • a decent interview but never thought i would hear morrissey utter the words "power ballad" ha fuckin ha !! bet he secretly loves a bit of bonnie tyler in the background as he sashays through a lace strewn and candle lit gothic mansion !
    northernleech -- Thursday February 05 2009, @01:57PM (#320401)
    (User #15225 Info)
    my sentimental heart hardens
  • another GREAT interview

thanx for posting :)
    Mud <[email protected]> -- Thursday February 05 2009, @02:10PM (#320402)
    (User #454 Info | http://jaytando.tripod.com/meeting-morrissey/)
    I'm really just Some Totally Random Moz Fan
  • 'I'm OK By Myself' is fast becoming my favorite track on the new album and past that an overall favorite.

Nice to read him discuss this track and others. Great read, thanks for posting.
    Neckdeep -- Thursday February 05 2009, @03:52PM (#320411)
    (User #14740 Info)
  • "There have only been two occasions, which I recall, when I've reminded myself of something I've previously done and then there's been a shudder," adds Morrissey. "But it was too late because the darn thing was recorded, so I was stuck with them! Those are the only two occasions when I feel like I really let myself down.'

I wish the author had followed up on that statement.

What two occasions? What two songs?
    someraincoatedlovers -- Thursday February 05 2009, @04:48PM (#320412)
    (User #10290 Info)
  • Bizarre (Score:0, Flamebait)

Either Morrissey is being dishonest, or he's so narcissistic that he can't acknowledge his mistakes to any sincere degree.

So, there were two times that he felt he repeated himself? That has to be a typo. Morrissey's entire career since Vauxhall & I has been uninspired, and repetitive.

More importantly, if the new album is an example of Morrissey still feeling "driven," then I prefer the old Morrissey who seemingly didn't give a shit.

Apparently, a driven Morrissey equates to an uncreative Morrissey who seethes over chart positions, and publishes embarrassing photos of himself for attention.

Nick The Name -- Thursday February 05 2009, @06:21PM (#320414)
    (User #20764 Info)
    • Re:Bizarre by Dabb-Hands (Score:1) Saturday February 07 2009, @12:44AM
  • "I don't know why that's funny, but here we are both laughing at that, which just proves what I was saying about the human condition: we are trivial. Anyway, why are we so surprised by death? For centuries people have grown old and died, but still we're so surprised when it actually happens."

Well, Morrissey, it's because most people are human, and a part of being human is developing meaningful relationships with people, and then feeling deep sorrow for them when we realize that they won't be returning...ever.

This incredulous comment could only come from someone who is fairly stunted when it comes to the emotional aspect of human affairs.

Morrissey doesn't care about people, so he doesn't understand the effect that death has on others. Also, Morrissey once replied that he writes about death because it's an important topic that he takes very seriously.

So, n other words, Morrissey doesn't even remember how he feels about things, and much of what he says shouldn't be taken seriously.

He's flippant.

Nick The Name -- Thursday February 05 2009, @06:34PM (#320415)
    (User #20764 Info)
  • the interviewer was cheeky enough to ask Moz why he prefers not to tour down under. Seemed like a penultimate moment to slip it in, but I guess his adoration had lapsed for quite a while so fair enough.
    marred -- Thursday February 05 2009, @07:19PM (#320419)
    (User #16308 Info)
  • Thanks for transcribing for us.

I think this is one of the better Moz interviews I've read in a while. Too often journos are trying to be all smart and pseudo-intellectual whereas this just sounded like the chat that most of us would like to have with Moz if we met him. I thought it worked well and we have a rare insight into Moz's world rather than just a series of witty or cryptic replies.

I know nostalgia's frowned upon in this piece but I did feel a pang for the Kill Uncle tour - happy days.
    Anonymous -- Friday February 06 2009, @03:17AM (#320453)
  • Thank you very much for the interview. Moz words feel so solid, full of meaning , just so MOZZZ!!
    Cheers Moz
    Stoned -- Friday February 06 2009, @06:56AM (#320464)
    (User #15689 Info)
  • Thanks, german film star, for making that interview accessible for all of us, it was interesting & nice to read.

& your websites are amazing, I added them to my favourites to return to them on a rainy day (or two, or three). :-)
    Cashews -- Friday February 06 2009, @10:45AM (#320486)
    (User #18140 Info)
  • Interesting that Des Sampson's interview with Morrissey in Rip It Up is titled Getting Away With It, a song from Electronic.
    Anonymous -- Friday February 06 2009, @08:37PM (#320551)
  • Wonder if this post prompted this news item ("Morrissey Rules Out Smiths Reunion"):

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2009/02/06/morrissey_rules_out_smiths_reunion_
    Anonymous -- Saturday February 07 2009, @04:50AM (#320558)
  • Actually, just go to Google and type in "Morrissey Rules Out Smiths Reunion". The 'story' seems to have spread like wildfire.

Curious.
    Anonymous -- Saturday February 07 2009, @05:14AM (#320559)
  • I just looked at the photo of him on http://perezhilton.com/2009-02-06-attack-of-the-moz [perezhilton.com]
    its fucking tight, that Perez Hilton isnt a looker he's discusting, the comments are horrible, i cant understand why people are so critical about the way people look, when he was W/E perez's age is he looked a million times better and he still does actually, i cant imagine what that spotty twat for his age is going to look like at Morrissey's age, infact he'l be dead because hes so overweight.
    Carlyy <[email protected]> -- Sunday March 08 2009, @01:31PM (#323659)
    (User #22056 Info | http://www.myspace.com/thesmithsloverr)
  • 2 replies beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]