posted by davidt on Monday February 02 2009, @12:30PM
Jamie writes:
Morrissey's 2004 lyrics to "America Is Not The World" is under attack now that Obama is el Presidente!

Expired Lyrics: Songs With References That Have Become Badly Dated - Spinner.com
---
ThreeLittleWonders writes:
Morrissey is on the front page of AOL.com and has some people fired up. This is the headline..

Singer Forced
To Eat Words
His Dig at America & the President
No Longer Rings True: Dated Lyrics...
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • It all depends on how you read it really.

'Where the President is never black female or gay....' If you just remove that comma from between black and female the problem is solved.

And if he just changed the 'or' to an 'and' we'd be well sorted.

Black, female AND gay? Now that is something I would want to be able to vote for!
    Kitty3780 -- Monday February 02 2009, @12:48PM (#320255)
    (User #17786 Info | http://twitter.com/#!/Kitty3780)
    "There is something I wanted to tell you..."
  • .....Its not as if he just wrote the song last nigh. It was over four years ago when these things were true.
    Bona Ecaf -- Monday February 02 2009, @02:17PM (#320269)
    (User #21046 Info)
  • the lyrics are quite clear

'But where the president, is never black, female or gay, and until that day,
    you've got nothing to say to me, to help me believe'

Quite cleary says UNTIL that day, which from the song you can clearly hear his love and adoration of a place that had been lost, and run through the mill,
    Anonymous -- Monday February 02 2009, @03:01PM (#320275)
  • It's immaterial (Score:2, Interesting)

Morrissey, I'm sure, would be more than happy that his lyrics to this song are now "dated".

The songs offers hope ("until that day"). It now seems that hope has been realised.

Advice to the compilers of this article: unplug your cloth ears!
    Anonymous -- Monday February 02 2009, @03:48PM (#320282)
  • People get paid to write these articles? In this economy? That makes me cry.

As the poster above said, I'm sure Morrissey is more than pleased that his song is now "out of date". How about looking at it from a positive point of view? Morrissey had a wish for the country he loved but was frustrated by -- now it's come true.

Replace America with Meat is Murder and realize how addlebrained your "discovery" is...
    king leer -- Monday February 02 2009, @08:45PM (#320289)
    (User #80 Info)
  • where the president was never black,female or gay
    Celibate Cry <[email protected]> -- Tuesday February 03 2009, @08:27AM (#320315)
    (User #220 Info)
    and the hills are alive with celibate cries
  • Ah, but how does Morrissey know they've never had a gay President? I mean, any politician with a career mind is gonna get married for that reason alone.

Let's start with Lincoln : http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9f05e5d61439f93aa35752c0a9639c8b63 [nytimes.com]
    Anonymous -- Tuesday February 03 2009, @10:15AM (#320320)
  • On the contrary. The US electorate have secured a black presidency because Morrissey wanted it so. Well done Morrissey! Yamaha
    Anonymous -- Wednesday February 04 2009, @08:15AM (#320351)

[ home | terms of service ]