posted by davidt on Sunday December 28 2008, @09:00PM
Scan posted by anon x in the forums:

Years Of Refusal Review :The Scotsman

Johnny'd be good
After hearing Morrissey's latest album, David Smyth prays that 'talks' with his old guitarist will result in a Smiths reunion
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Well-written enough review, but really very silly to talk about Johnny Marr throughout.

Judge the LP on it's own terms, not on music created with Marr 20 years ago.

Terence Stomp
    Anonymous -- Monday December 29 2008, @02:19AM (#317397)
  • We need more "My Dearest Love's"
    Although also not really 'really' good or original, it has definitly a more emotional touch to it and stays far away from the boring rock songs that mister Tobias has given us the last 3 albums... which i'm getting sick of..

That's how people grow up is horrible song.... All you need is me mediocre... Squeezing funny but like many before that on ROTT...I love Mozzer to death, but God... he needs to pair up with some creative writers/guitar players quick!!!

ROTT was the worst album ever... i pray YoR won't be as bad as that!
    Anonymous -- Monday December 29 2008, @02:47AM (#317398)
  • I don't think Marr is the answer to this problem - a cursory listen to "Bommslang" shows that some of his modern material isn't great and I don't think the "Smiths reunion" would sound as people hope it would.

Nevertheless, it is true that Morrissey seems to have lost it, at least temporarily. Since Southpaw each album has been no more than average at best, and the fact is that Boz, Jesse and, to a lesser degree, Alain (although Alain's tracks tend to be the best ones overall)have offered Morrissey little of interest musically for a long, long time. "Paris" is pleasant but no more, "Grow up" just truly dire. I read a review from 2004 that said that Morrissey's band "dip his grandest endeavours in lead" and I think this is true. There are sparks of a good melody in "Paris", but it never really takes off or goes anywhere. And Jesse just writes Southpaw album filler tracks.

The frustrating thing is that Morrissey could be so much more than he is - he sings beautifully and still is the only person to write lyrics in the style he does. He should collaborate with people like Bernard Butler, Richard Hawley, Maurice Deebank from Felt, Luke Haines, anybody who will shift him from this comfort zone. He should explore new musical styles - he is capable of grand torch songs or simple acoustic laments (a la "Changed my plea" or "i know very well") - hew has overdone the radio rock, it is boring now.

I still think "Vauxhall and I" might well be one of the best albums ever made, but he has regressed since that outstanding moment - and very badly. He is damaging his artistic legacy by refusing to move forward or to change in any way. But, more than anything, he needs co-writers (not Marr) who can deliver the great melodies and memorable tunes he deserves. He should be able to knock the competition out of the window - EASILY - but he is stopping himself from doing so.
    Anonymous -- Monday December 29 2008, @04:36AM (#317400)
    • Re:New collaborators needed by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday December 29 2008, @05:14AM
    • Yep by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday December 30 2008, @02:23PM
      • Re:Yep by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday December 30 2008, @04:31PM
        • Re:Yep by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday December 31 2008, @03:14AM
  • Number One - I refuse to read anything or listen to anybody who reviews/talks about 'Years of Refusal'.

Number Two - I will not read/listen to anybody who talks about a Smiths' reunion.

Fini.
    Hello Indie -- Monday December 29 2008, @07:08AM (#317410)
    (User #13749 Info | http://somedizzywhore.com/)
    Somedizzywhore.com offers free jars of beetroot for the elderly.
    • Re:No. Nope. Never. Nada. by Anonymous (Score:1) Monday December 29 2008, @07:17AM
    • don't take this personal or judgemental by Celibate Cry (Score:1) Monday December 29 2008, @08:01AM
    • Re:No. Nope. Never. Nada. by Anonymous (Score:1) Monday December 29 2008, @11:32AM
      • Some of you seem to of translated my comments into something of a ''hate campaign'', I feel.
        What I meant by my comments was this....
        I'll judge 'Years of Refusal' for myself. I need not listen/read anything to make up my mind. I would much rather make my own mind up.
        As for The Smiths reunion. I would much rather put myself in the position of the musicians on this matter. Let's look at the book with a heart, it would be uncomfortable for them.
        There is also a matter of age. I don't think I'd like to see Morrissey and Marr perform now they've aged and now the ''special'' moment has gone.

Let old flames remain. Don't blow them out a relight the candle.
        Hello Indie -- Monday December 29 2008, @12:51PM (#317438)
        (User #13749 Info | http://somedizzywhore.com/)
        Somedizzywhore.com offers free jars of beetroot for the elderly.
    • Re:No. Nope. Never. Nada. by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday December 30 2008, @09:17PM
    • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.
  • it's just based on the one-off playback at Pigalle from a few weeks ago, and is one of a number of reviews from that.
    the first proper review has yet to appear...
    Anonymous -- Monday December 29 2008, @08:22AM (#317418)
  • Coming back? (Score:2, Insightful)

Well, everybody is entitled to an opinion. So, mine is totally pro-Morrissey! I think he's doing very well alone. We should stop comparing what he did with what he does. This is Morrissey's music now, so you take it or leave it, but stop expecting from him to do what he did in the past. There's something called evolution!
    I loved The Smiths to bits, they were great and they made me believe in music. I still love them as I love Morrissey, but I'm also against a reunion. It wouldn't be the same, because two of them wouldn't be in the band. Also, it would be pathetic to fall into another 80s revival band. They were wonderful, don't destroy our loving memory of what they were. If Morrissey and Marr want to play/collaborate together again, that's up to them, but they should come back with a different name, because it would be a different band.
    Gejo -- Monday December 29 2008, @09:21AM (#317419)
    (User #15707 Info)
    • Re:Coming back? by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday December 29 2008, @11:20AM
    • Re:Coming back? (Score:3, Interesting)

I've often said the same thing to people.
      As much as I continue to love the music of The Smiths and older Morrissey songs, I realize that as a person and a singer/songwriter he has evolved and you either take it or leave it. No point in dwelling in the past. He continues to be the only lyricist out there who truly touches or strikes a chord within me. I think ROTT is actually a good album, simply more mature and I think it's a reflection of where he is a man and songwriter.In some mays his lyrics are more insightful than they were before.
      it's interesting to me that so many criticize Moz by saying he needs Johnny.In my own little opinion, it seems Johnny would benefit from a collaboration with Moz more than the other way around. It's not anything against Johnny per se, but frankly, I think the best thing Johnny has done post-Smiths was getting together with The The and being a part of Mind Bomb, which is a phenomenal album. Morrissey, think what you may, has done a pretty good job of keeping himself relevant and producing some very good songs throughout the last 20+ years.
      mademoiselle x -- Monday December 29 2008, @08:23PM (#317470)
      (User #21258 Info)
  • ... with the return of J Marr. People just don't want to admit it.

You know you'd all like to hear those melancholic chords rolling behind Morrissey's lovely croon again.
    Anonymous -- Monday December 29 2008, @01:04PM (#317442)
  • but i can't say i would totally disagree with this reviewer.
    morrissey isn't as good as he was with the smiths.
    Anonymous -- Monday December 29 2008, @02:36PM (#317447)
  • that wants to see the smiths reunited just because he thinks that morrissey is not good enough solo.

well, after all said by morrissey about the smiths reunion (about eat his own balls too :P) i hope it will never happen. Will be a sad and bad show i bet.
    Raffael79 -- Monday December 29 2008, @03:20PM (#317454)
    (User #17513 Info)
  • Why can't Morrissey and Marr just work together on their own?

In no way does it have to be a Smith's thing.

It would be preferable to a Smith's reunion and probably would come out sounding pretty good (can't be worse that Moz working with Tobias and even the present abilities of Boorer).

I'd actually think Moz would be redeeming himself after a lack luster 4 or 5 years since Quarry.
    Anonymous -- Monday December 29 2008, @05:01PM (#317459)
  • These people who are so nostalgic for The Smiths that they dismiss Moz solo every chance they get are like people who get divorced, start thinking about the good times, conveniently forget the bad, then want to get back together with the person they divorced. Believe it or not, The Smiths' catalog wasn't perfect. By the time Strangeways was released, critics were lining up to say that The Smiths had disbanded at the right time because they (Smiths) had run out of ideas. Are some of these critics exalting The Smiths now the same ones who dissed them back then?
    Anonymous -- Monday December 29 2008, @05:33PM (#317461)
  • I think it's a bad review. It's 2008 (tommorow 2009) and Morrissey's music can't be compared with the Smiths'.It makes no sense at all. And I don't think that there will be a reunion either...
    orestes3009 -- Wednesday December 31 2008, @07:12AM (#317510)
    (User #21090 Info)
  • Happy New YOR :)

or Years Of Refusal

or year

as you want !!

xxx
    Guillaume Metayer -- Wednesday December 31 2008, @07:24AM (#317511)
    (User #19088 Info)
  • stupid... really really stupid
    Anonymous -- Sunday December 28 2008, @10:39PM (#317394)
  • I have read a post by you where you stated that "All You Need Is Me" was one of his best singles in years. Why the change of heart?
    Anonymous -- Monday December 29 2008, @04:38AM (#317402)
    • Must have been the same post where I stated that his best songs to date are: "Roy's keen", "The harsh truth of the camera eye" and the long version of "Moon River".

You may now congratulate me on my good taste.
      Eric Hartman -- Monday December 29 2008, @04:58AM (#317403)
      (User #5103 Info | http://www.patcondell.net/)
      It is a very mixed blessing to be brought back from the dead.
      • Re:"All You Need Is Me"? by gonzax (Score:1) Monday December 29 2008, @08:04AM
      • Re:"All You Need Is Me"? by Hello Indie (Score:1) Tuesday December 30 2008, @12:41PM
        • mhh I guess you haven't seen him performing those
          songs live, Kill Uncle was the first album he
          toured the world, it was energetic,the songs
          from kill unclearea bit to clean, with a bit power, like he did it live, it would've sound
          better, but it had as all rock-a-billy touch,
          cause of the , than new recruted, bandmembers

and till today, those 4, + Mike Farrel is the best combinnation, I bet not too many have seen
          Spencer live, damnit he was a drum maniac, giving
          it all, same as Alain, Boz and Gary bit behind though Boz had his spotlight moments

1991 kill uncle tour, the best till now
          Celibate Cry <[email protected]> -- Wednesday December 31 2008, @07:52AM (#317512)
          (User #220 Info)
          and the hills are alive with celibate cries
      • Re:"All You Need Is Me"? by Celibate Cry (Score:1) Wednesday December 31 2008, @08:06AM
  • what are you in about.....PETA excutes???????
    lainey -- Monday December 29 2008, @10:50AM (#317426)
    (User #21226 Info)
    • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.
  • Eric Hartman is a wanker who likes posting "stingy" posts in here. Years of Prozac....I mean, give us a break!

How Dramatic: "What has happened to Morrissey?" and "This bad review comes as no surprise".

Eric comes across like a fickle school girl with no real opinions.
    Boxers71 -- Monday December 29 2008, @01:37PM (#317443)
    (User #20608 Info)
  • Eric should take Prozac!
    Boxers71 -- Tuesday December 30 2008, @04:57PM (#317503)
    (User #20608 Info)
  • 6 replies beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]