posted by davidt on Monday December 22 2008, @11:00AM
Henrik Lundstrom writes:
According to the official Morrissey news letter Morrissey's brand new single 'Im Throwing My Arms Around Paris' gets its UK premiere on BBC Radio 2's The Ken Bruce Show at 10.05am Monday 22nd December.

Click here now to visit Ken Bruce's Radio 2 website for more information and to listen online.

The single will be in stores on 9th February, followed by Morrissey's new album, 'Years Of Refusal', released a week later on 16th February.

Ken Bruce BBC
---
jesusibrony posted the link to the archive in the forums (original thread):

Ken Bruce: 22/12/2008 - BBC iPlayer

About 37-8 minutes in.
---
kelly stooke also writes:
Nemone on radio station BBC 6 Music will be playing the brand new Morrissey track on Monday the 22nd of December.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • I wish I could state otherwise, but I think this is the dullest, dead in the air single he's ever released. Skull would have been a much better choice as would others I'm sure...but not this. It's so nonexistent atmospherically, and the lyrics are retreads and (Morrissey) cliches with no real feeling. Nobody wants my love...Nobody needs my love....It's nothing he hasn't already done better a hundred times. What a let down. He always sabotages these opportunities....

I still look forward to the rest of the album. I'm a fan of the other songs I've heard.

-Micropenis
    Anonymous -- Monday December 22 2008, @11:08AM (#317086)
  • exactly the same as the live version, nothing more, nothing less....maybe familiarity has taken away the edge of the song..i suppose all i can say is that it's quite a nice melody and clear production but i remember when morrissey songs used to be more than just a reasonable melody. i'll still hold out for the album though because "you[re the one for me fatty" did not "your arsenal" make!
    Anonymous -- Monday December 22 2008, @11:13AM (#317087)
    • Re:samey by marred (Score:1) Monday December 22 2008, @07:22PM
  • It reminds me of older Morrissey - maybe Southpaw-era. Less like YATQ and Ringleader, which is a good thing.

The production seems adequate....as noted above pretty similar to the live versions.

Still excited about the new record.
    wemissumoz -- Monday December 22 2008, @11:53AM (#317095)
    (User #4088 Info)
  • This will save you some effort.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj_J-Sb0X3Q [youtube.com]
    Rich Hill1978 -- Monday December 22 2008, @12:14PM (#317100)
    (User #19284 Info | http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mystvD33Ac&feature=channel_page)
  • Maybe....in its favour though is a silky smooth production...be interesting to see how the rest sound.
    ejcurtis100 -- Monday December 22 2008, @12:45PM (#317102)
    (User #14232 Info)
  • Enchanté! (Score:1, Troll)

Absolutely beautiful, a musical Arc de Triomphe!
    goinghome -- Monday December 22 2008, @02:21PM (#317117)
    (User #12673 Info)
    • Re:Enchanté! by goinghome (Score:1) Saturday December 27 2008, @05:29PM
  • I really like this song. It feels, as someone else mentioned, like an older song from albums gone by. Although judging it from a radio stream I think the production of it is wonderful and doesn't have the same coldness or hollowness that was part of ROTT. I'm quite happy with it.
    Anonymous -- Monday December 22 2008, @02:42PM (#317120)
    • Re:I like it... by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday December 22 2008, @02:44PM
    • Re:I like it... by Industrialization69 (Score:1) Monday December 22 2008, @03:59PM
  • instantly likeable, nice tune, good clear lyrics, yes i'm impressed, happy christmas mozz
    Anonymous -- Monday December 22 2008, @03:35PM (#317131)
  • At the beginning, an engine is revved up but what kind? A scooter...?

I wonder if there'll be a video?

Accept the love this Christmas, or else... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA-HMqBQpQs&eurl=http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=6587782569549922327&postID=166720951112227315 [youtube.com] ; )

goinghome -- Monday December 22 2008, @04:07PM (#317136)
    (User #12673 Info)
  • At least I thought about it
    Or maybe I thought of my youth
    david essex, david cassidy and sherbert fountains
    irene a teen in the 70's
    Anonymous -- Monday December 22 2008, @04:45PM (#317141)
  • this song sucks- its a very sad thing for a Morrissey song when the weakest element by far is the lyrics.

this makes at least at least three ina row of the dullest or most horrid singles of Morrissey's career- how can he carry on this way?

ilook forward to hearing the new (old) SG material which at this point iam almost certain will be far better than anything from YOR.
    chrisarclark <[email protected]> -- Monday December 22 2008, @05:45PM (#317148)
    (User #9259 Info)
    "I'm just passing through here on my way to somewhere civilized and maybe I'll even arrive, maybe I'll even arrive..."
  • A beautiful single. The melody and Moz's voice are lovely. A video with him walking around the streets of Paris would be a stunner!
    -Easymeat
    Anonymous -- Monday December 22 2008, @07:32PM (#317157)
    • Re:Gorgeous! by mademoiselle x (Score:1) Tuesday December 23 2008, @06:22PM
  • There's a paradox with Morrissey. On one hand he writes amazing songs with emotional resonance that many people can relate to.

On the other hand he's an extremely successful pop-star and this many years into his career, it's ridiculous to think that "no one wants his love". Come on. The guy is looked at as a god by zillions of people.

It's almost like he's deliberately sacrificed his own happiness in order to be the spokesperson for people who can't be happy.

Anyway. The track itself is not really worth mention. It's bland. Morrissey has written some amazing songs in the last few years, but many of them are b-sides! Mexico, My Life Is a Succession of People Saying Goodbye, Friday Mourning, Good looking Man about Town, etc. Those are the songs I can't hear enough of.

In any case, although I will still probably buy everything this man puts out, I'm having a hard time accepting he's still this alienated, isolated and maladjusted person that he was when we was writing with the Smiths.

cylon -- Monday December 22 2008, @09:20PM (#317165)
    (User #21469 Info)
  • What I cannot grasp is Morrissey's refusal to explore new sonic territory. We've blamed the band. We've blamed the producers. However, there has been more than enough variation in those contributions for there to have been meaningful progress.

Still, it seems that no matter who Morrissey involves in the creative process, it's still the same old product over, and over again. How long can he do this before even the most die-hard fans lose interest?

It's obvious by now that nothing is going to change. It's strange to think that all of this began with what seemed like an understandable hiccup in Southpaw Grammar. The music industry was restructuring, and grunge suddenly increased the volume of most recordings on the radio. It was a matter of adapting to the sudden shift, or being abandoned altogether.

I never would have guessed that Southpaw Grammar signaled a permanent shift in Morrissey's musical tastes. To think that I, and others kept thinking "It's going to be the next one." How naive.

Not every single song has to be some overwhelming sonic experience, replete with digitally distorted rhythm guitars, and stray computer bleeps.

As for Paris, it's an absolute dirge. It fails to say anything.

It sounds like C-side material. Why is it even on the main album? The vocal melody never finds its footing. He's merely crooning, and stretching phrases to fit, which makes it seem half-baked.

I'm reminded of "There Speaks A True Friend," and I don't need any reminder of that atrocity.

Why can't he strip down the production, and play clean for once since 1995? Shit, record solely on a toy piano. Anything.

Nick The Name -- Tuesday December 23 2008, @01:28AM (#317175)
    (User #20764 Info)
    • I agree with you, mostly, though it seems to be the fate of most great poets, as in Wordsworth or Whitman. They all have about ten good years of creating absolutely sublime material until losing that pivotal spark that inevitably fades their later work into relative obscurity. Those like Keats become immortalized by their own early deaths, with their creative output never being given a chance to wane. And only one poet was smart enough to stop entirely while ahead, which is Shakespeare, the greatest poet.

Morrissey found his poetic voice very early on, and it was strikingly original. But I think sometimes the Morrissey of today is the equivalent of an emerging poet trying to replicate the glories of poets-past--even the greatest poet or scholar today cannot improve on Hamlet, and all efforts are struck down by the eclipsing light of that prophetic giant, Shakespeare. But here, Morrissey is both Shakespeare and the naive newcomer, paradoxically setting the precedent and then becoming too self-influenced to create [further] canonical work. His vocals are now greater than ever, and his songs are still quite good, but Refusal will live on as the equivalent of Milton's "Paradise Regained" to the "Paradise Lost" of Vauxhall
      delta10km -- Tuesday December 23 2008, @03:21AM (#317181)
      (User #1081 Info)
    • Alzheimer? by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday December 23 2008, @03:21AM
      • Re:Alzheimer? by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday December 23 2008, @03:42AM
        • Re:Alzheimer? by Nick The Name (Score:1) Tuesday December 23 2008, @08:49AM
          • Re:Alzheimer? by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday December 23 2008, @11:04AM
          • Re:Alzheimer? by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday December 23 2008, @07:33PM
    • yawn. by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday December 23 2008, @08:45PM
    • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.
  • There seems to be a growing disconnect between what "they" think about Morrissey in 2008/2009 and what an increasingly unhinged hardcore of obsessive lunatics are saying on this website. Early pre/reviews of the album have all been very positive - describing moments as a 'career high' etc. Dear old Ken Bruce thinks Moz is "fantastic" and just gets "better and better". I honestly don't think Moz is doing anything wildly different. ITMAAP is a fine, throwaway piece of pop - just like My Love Life or You Have Killed Me. It's short and cute with a soaring melody. Lyrically he seems back on top form: check out When Last I Spoke to Carol, Black Cloud and Something is Squeezing My Skull - hell even THPGU looks, oddly, better in print. Fair enough at 49 Moz's best work is probably behind him. He's no longer an angry young man with the same kind of social-economic/political fire in his belly. But he's still much, much better than Bowie was at 49, or Dylan was at 49. The opening line in SISMS is wonderfully viperine. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but can I suggest we all take a deep breath and take a reality check before posting them. ITMAAP is just a classic slice of Moz pop. He wasn't trying to write Stairway to Heaven!
    Anonymous -- Tuesday December 23 2008, @02:53AM (#317177)
  • Classic Morrissey. Fantastic song and crystal clear production which I personally think has been missing from the past couple of albums. Can't wait to hear the rest of Years of Refusal. Nice one Mozz....and Boz. See you in Omagh and Belfast.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday December 23 2008, @03:19AM (#317180)
    • Re:Classic by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday December 24 2008, @12:02AM
  • What a let down,again. As a once die hard Morrissey fan I find myself so disappointed with this offering. THPGU was bad,AYNIM was terrible but this has got to be the worst single ever...yes even worse than Roys Keen. Sometimes its hard to believe its the same man who wrote Seasick....Now My Heart...Speedway...Pigsty...The lyrics in this are lazy and samey. How many times is he or can he turn out this mediocre tripe.Moz has taken his fanbase for granted over the years and knows whatever happens the Moz faithful will buy it and sell out his shows.These are the offerings of a multi millionaire businessman machine that has become the man we all feel in love with and felt such a bond with through his earlier work. I know theres the die hards who can't have half a word said against him,I have seen him over 50 times but stopped going after the ROTT shows as the whole Moz package refuses to move on in anyway,....He has become very very stale and should now make the decision.Retire or try harder...stop taking your audience for granted Moz...please! I'm off to play Vauxhall!
    Anonymous -- Tuesday December 23 2008, @03:51AM (#317187)
  • around the remembrance of 2.30' minutes-lenght little masterpieces such as 'Girlfriend in a coma' or 'Sunny'.
    I'm absolutely delighted by the luxury of the sound (palpable even through radio low-quality sound), the clearness of the voice, the purity and simplicity of the piano.
    As for the lyrics, my heart can sometimes be fulfilled by other tournements than, say, the ones that stretch all through 'life is a pigsty' or 'That joke isn't funny anymore'.There is time enough for serious statements and walking on the edge of the cliff.
    Some people forget that pop music is also just a question of style, and that form has its own life, and is not always 'supposed to mean a thing'.
    stab in the back -- Tuesday December 23 2008, @12:11PM (#317213)
    (User #21275 Info)
  • this song is gr8, go moz go!
    se repenti fort <[email protected]> -- Tuesday December 23 2008, @01:28PM (#317219)
    (User #15856 Info)
  • Let's face it...The song is a bit weak. To deny that is simply being stubborn. That being said, it is not completely awful. It just does not sound like a good choice for lead single. The lyrics are really repetitive and a little cringe-worthy, to keep on about "no one wants my love" over and over. On the plus side, the production sounds awesome...God bless you, Jerry Finn. I still am intrigued to hear the rest of YOR.
    IanCurtis -- Tuesday December 23 2008, @01:59PM (#317223)
    (User #5849 Info)
  • I liked plenty of songs off of Quarry and ROTT and I also liked the last 2 GH singles.

I do not like this song. It's bland & boring. Musically it sounds like nothing. Lyrically its pure drivel. That's not blind hate, that's an honest take from someone whose day does not begin and end with Morrissey.

Prediction: This will not chart in the UK top 10.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday December 23 2008, @04:01PM (#317231)
  • I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
    composers: Steven Morrissey/Alain Gordon Whyte

Ahh, beautiful.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday December 23 2008, @04:19PM (#317232)
  • this is a fantastic song. You´re all so fucking deaf!!!
    gonzax -- Tuesday December 23 2008, @04:55PM (#317237)
    (User #10749 Info)
  • I would just like to convey that I love the song ITMAAP completely. I would also like to say I’m throwing my arms around my baby. From a lyrical point of view -- just listening to the words a million times leads me to the end result, which is, that Paris is almost as perfect as THPGU. I love them both. Obviously, they have different meanings and different thoughts to convey.

There’s one more thing that I know is off topic, but I can’t let things slide. I can’t believe that adorable dolphin in Old Bridge died. I feel very sad. It was the most beautiful dolphin. I understand it was injured which was just as sad. I would just like to say a little prayer.
    Kate2828 -- Tuesday December 23 2008, @07:13PM (#317245)
    (User #12664 Info | http://www.morrissey-solo.com/)
  • That has to be the worst lyrical beginning to any Moz song, ever.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday December 23 2008, @11:33PM (#317258)
  • Are you aware of the fact that Morrissey-Solo does not intend to glorify Morrissey?
    Anonymous -- Wednesday December 24 2008, @03:17AM (#317272)
  • Anyone seen those documentaries about people who unable to relate to fellow humans marry The Eiffel Tower etc? The theme looms large in this song IMO, I would suggest Moz is aware of them.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday December 24 2008, @04:58AM (#317277)
  • ...to make him think that this song is good enough to release as a single, yet "My Dearest Love" is packed away as an obscure b-side on a 7" vinyl release???

I love Morrissey and what he stands for (and have done so for 20 years), and I will buy the new album, but this will be the first single that I will not purchase. Lyrically and melodically it is turgid and uninspiring, a very weak effort indeed. I'm beginning to wonder if he is testing us. The way the song ends is amateurish to say the least.

I think that if he was being totally honest and really sat back and listened to it that he would admit that this is pile of shite too.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday December 24 2008, @06:50AM (#317281)
  • Anyone else feel that the acoustic guitar is much more interesting than the lead on the song?
    Anonymous -- Wednesday December 24 2008, @08:12AM (#317284)
  • It's a weak and dull song, I have to say it's better than all that pretentious garbage he had on ROTT.

"Paris" isn't such a good song but I have to say, it doesn't possess the utter bombast that is found all over Ringleader.

Let's all thank God that Jesse didn't write the music. Think how much worse the song would be if he did.

Anonymous -- Wednesday December 24 2008, @09:53AM (#317289)
  • I Love this single, it's beautiful, well produced....just a very good "pop" single. Morrissey's voice sounds great.

Pop music is not rocket science....but this has style. It's Great. Well Done Moz.

Love it.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday December 24 2008, @01:41PM (#317293)
  • Personally I think it's OK to trade something that is taped off the radio. People have been doing that for 40 years.
    wemissumoz -- Monday December 22 2008, @01:30PM (#317107)
    (User #4088 Info)
  • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]