posted by davidt on Friday December 12 2008, @12:00PM
An anonymous person writes:
More early reviews of the Morrissey album, this one from:

Morrissey's Years of Refusal: A first review - by Jude Rogers, The Guardian
The new album undoubtedly has its troughs, but the peaks show off a man at the top of his game
---
Guillaume Metayer writes:
Here is the review from LES INROCKUPTIBLES French Music magazine.

The journalist tells us how Morrissey met the world press to present his next album at the Pigalle Club in London.

"Morrissey au Cabaret" (Morrissey at the Cabaret)

Not translated, too busy booking tickets for the tour ...sorry :)

---
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • New album in February & tour in May!

Something to really look forward to.

I Genuinely felt very very excited today!
    Anonymous -- Friday December 12 2008, @03:18PM (#316338)
  • The review is descriptive but hardly insightful; in fact, it's a little trite ("bursting at the seams with rocking guitars"). And anyone who can write "On one paltry listen, accompanied by snacks (sadly not acquired from the Aberdeen Steak House next door)..." is either taking the piss or does not know Morrissey at all well (And does the reviewer REALLY believe Morrissey when he says that kid is his own?) Still, at least we know that one of the tracks sounds like an elephant in labour. Come back Steve Sutherland, all is forgiven!

Can't wait for the review in NME.

Terence Stomp
    Anonymous -- Friday December 12 2008, @04:12PM (#316346)
    • Re:Didn't make me excited about the record by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday December 12 2008, @04:59PM
    • I can't believe this is a review officially associated with The Guardian. It clearly hasn't been proofread, and the writing style is highly questionable. For instance: ...and the enervating pomp of It's Not Your Birthday Anymore...

Enervating pomp? Does the writer really mean 'enervating'? I'm inclined to believe this is a malapropism.

Surely the writer means either 'enervated' or 'energising', or possibly, 'energised'? As it is, this phrase means that the pomp of the music weakens the listener. This may well be true, but any such outlandish claim should require some sort of explanation, I'd have thought.
      boredhousewife -- Saturday December 13 2008, @01:09PM (#316402)
      (User #13144 Info)
  • Guillaume (Score:0, Troll)

in the meantime why don't you try getting a life?
    people like you make us feel ashamed of being a Morrissey fan.
    Anonymous -- Saturday December 13 2008, @08:30AM (#316389)
    • Re:Guillaume by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday December 13 2008, @06:44PM
  • is it a piece of crap like his last album was?
    Anonymous -- Saturday December 13 2008, @12:53PM (#316400)
  • I gave up reading newspapers about fifteen years ago, when my life became too busy, and anaemic scribbling like this reminds me of what a sensible idea it was.

A man at the top of his game?

How can a person write such vapid nonsense and not want to jump off a cliff in despair at the emptiness of their existence?

"What do you do for a living?"

"Why, I am a writer."

"What sort of stuff do you write?"

"Morrissey is a man at the top of his game."

"Fuck me, that's original; you didn't mention you were a poet ...shall I push you or do you want to jump?"
    kissmyshades -- Sunday December 14 2008, @04:58AM (#316451)
    (User #12542 Info)
  • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]