posted by davidt on Friday December 05 2008, @11:30AM
Martin writes:
This is the correct track list for Years Of Refusal. I know, because I was at the office of Universal Music Sweden today (Friday) and got an exclusive listening of the album.

It seemed very odd that both All you need is me and That’s how people grow up is on there, but that was certainly the case. If I get the time I’ll submit my notes from the listening, just like I did with Ringleader.
Kindly
/ Martin Söderström, Stockholm.

Years Of Refusal:

1. Something Is Squeezing My Skull
2. Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed
3. Black Cloud
4. I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris
5. All You Need Is Me
6. When I Last Spoke To Carol
7. That’s How People Grow Up
8. One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell
9. It’s Not Your Birthday Anymore
10. You Were Good In Your Time
11. Sorry Doesn’t Help
12. I’m OK By Myself
---
moztron also writes:
Hallo everyone from Italy.
A friend of mine who s a journalist this morning went to the offial listening of the new Morrissey album at the record company in Milan.
What he said is that the sound is more rock, lots of drums and sounds a bit Morriccone in some songs. He would give it a 7/10 and said it's good but not as the previouse ones

Here 's the official tracklist... [same as above]

See you all at the gigs.
Thanx to Marco
---
Johan writes:
A journalist writes in Svenska Dagbladet (The Swedish Daily) about Years of Refusal after an pre-listening at the Universals office. The tracklist is [same as above]
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Anyone has a promo cd yet?
    Anonymous -- Friday December 05 2008, @11:36AM (#315691)
  • There's been enough of that on the forums already. Get over it.
    Anonymous -- Friday December 05 2008, @11:39AM (#315692)
  • To have had 3 singles released prior to it....

Really MUST try harder. As far as I'm concerned this is a real stepback. Maybe the album will segue together better because of it but in this day and age I know my I-pod will certainly be skipping over the singles from last year.

I thought the B-sides from last year were quite good too so if you're gonna put previously released songs on an LP then the B-sides would have been preferable.

Disappointed.

Anonymous -- Friday December 05 2008, @12:02PM (#315696)
  • Another OAX! for God's sake where are the stupid mods?
    Anonymous -- Friday December 05 2008, @12:17PM (#315700)
  • wow--I know it's the internet's fault that I've heard 6 of these already, but I wanted something new, I guess. Maybe because I'm not really in love with any of those six. I guess he's always had a couple songs performed live before putting them down in the recording studio or released them prior to the album (There is a light and Bigmouth maybe even), but this seems weak.

I can't even remember which one was already a single. For some reason, I always get That's How People Grow Up and All You Need Is Me mixed up. They're like the same song.

It's like he's released so many greatest hits albums he can't tell the difference between something old and something new.

Eh. When you can't keep the fans for the last 20 years happy, it's probably time to stop. Hate to say it.
    Anonymous -- Friday December 05 2008, @12:30PM (#315705)
  • Interesting to start it off with "skull" but, sonically at least, it does make a good transition into "mama". "Farewell" followed by "grow up" sounds like a good transition too. However "paris" into "AYNIM" seems a bit odd, no?

Moz will never be able to please everyone all the time so I'll try to keep my complains too a minimum until I hear it. I'm with the majority that would have preffered 2 new tracks over THPGU and AYNIM but I can live with them. I actually think they're decent tracks...I'm just greedy and want more new music. Also, wondering how the record will sound w/o Alain but again, I'll reseverse judgement until I hear it. I swore I was too old to get giddy over another Moz album but here we go again...

ja
    Anonymous -- Friday December 05 2008, @12:36PM (#315706)
  • I know I'm in the minority here but I really loved "aynim". I'm pleased it is on the record. Sure I'd like to have more new tracks but I'm guessing that they were looking at how the record fits together as a whole. If these tracks fit in to make the record "complete", then so be it. I'd prefer that as opposed to just replacing them with two new tracks just because they're new.

dcn

edit: I had to edit this because I used all caps for "aynim". Unbelievable.
    Anonymous -- Friday December 05 2008, @12:45PM (#315707)
  • The sleeve is LOVELY, the tracks as well, but (for the sake of complaining) I would have loved even better if he had - they had - put My Dearest Love on it. I know it came out in vinyl - and that's exactly my source of grumbling - but I wish it hadn't :(
    Mrs. Woolf -- Friday December 05 2008, @12:50PM (#315709)
    (User #14157 Info)
  • Does anybody know if any of these songs are about poo?
    Poo Monster -- Friday December 05 2008, @01:04PM (#315712)
    (User #21657 Info)
  • 1 Something Is Squeezing My Skull - Alain
    2 Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed - Alain
    3 Black Clouds - Boz
    4 I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris -Boz
    5 All You Need Is Me - Jesse
    6 When I Last Spoke To Carol - Alain
    7 That's How People Grow Up - Boz
    8 One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell - Boz
    9 It's Not Your Birthday Anymore - Alain
    10 You Were Good In Your Time - Alain
    11 Sorry Doesn't Help - Jesse
    12 I'm Ok By Myself - Jesse

Kewpie -- Friday December 05 2008, @01:04PM (#315713)
    (User #20603 Info)
  • Lithium, diazepam, lorazepam, cipramil, prozac, venlafaxine, seroxat, risperidone....i've had them all.
    Anonymous -- Friday December 05 2008, @01:21PM (#315719)
  • I've stayed away from Moz for awhile, which is good because now all the songs will be new to me, except one I saw on a late night show. I hope "Sorry Doesn’t Help" is like "Apologize" (it's too late too 'pologize, it's too late!)
    Anonymous -- Friday December 05 2008, @01:46PM (#315722)
  • A new Morrissey album!

I will be celebrating. Cannot wait!!
    Anonymous -- Friday December 05 2008, @02:55PM (#315734)
  • Alain still has the majority of the songs on the new record.
    Anonymous -- Friday December 05 2008, @02:56PM (#315735)
    • Re:Thank God... by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday December 06 2008, @08:06AM
      • Re:Thank God... by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday December 06 2008, @09:06AM
        • Snap!!! by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday December 06 2008, @11:32AM
    • Re:Thank God... by marred (Score:1) Saturday December 06 2008, @05:41PM
  • Just to let everyone know. I Love him. The new album will be great.
    Anonymous -- Friday December 05 2008, @03:40PM (#315740)
  • are you sure
    Anonymous -- Friday December 05 2008, @07:44PM (#315762)
  • Years Of Refusal seems to be the modern day Bona Drag! Collection of stuff...

And we all love Bona Drag!

Here's hoping the cover is ace. Around Tench St and Reardon St would be good wouldn't it Bona fans?

• Re:Celebrate! by Far (Score:1) Saturday December 06 2008, @01:30PM
  • Years of Refusal is going to be Morrissey’s #1 -- EVER. I literally love every single one of these on the list even though I haven’t heard most of them but I like, I love, I literally love each and every title including all of the specifications. The one song that I listen to around 28 times a day and when I’m driving is the masterpiece - That’s How People Grow Up. This song in particular, Morrissey’s voice is mesmerizing, soothing and completely magnetic. It’s almost mystical. if you follow the point, the analysis of THPGU, you can understand the psychological implications of how one changes as the years, after all those years flew. Then, then you can psychologically accept what fate inevitably throws to you when you get to be a certain age. You realize that usually when you think that you loved someone, well what happens is -- what happens is, it was all just a lie. People present themselves to you in a certain way for the first several months and even some for several years. But then, then the harsh reality sets in and , and they were not who they presented themselves to you as. Then when you get to be in your late thirties and forties, you learn to validate reality, put things in a more truthful way. Not just another lie. And most relationships when you get to be a certain age you discover they lie, and they lie about everyone too. Most people are bad people, they don’t want you to know this for the first few years you are with them. They just show you one aspect but they are hiding all of their secrets, mischievous ways, and chicanery. I am a very very deep and analytical girl. Like you, “you” fans, you can’t understand this probably because you can’t say how you really feel so lashing out is your best defense. And a lot of you “fans” are conformists. You want to be liked by royal electronical modern technology typed names and handles on a computer so that you can validate that these things that type back to you are your “friends”. It’s a shame. .Also fate throws things to you in your late thirties and forties or sometimes earlier and you have no control of what has happened. Then you can validate reality by instead of being sad, you learn to be stronger. It’s better that way than to be sad.
    Anyways Morrissey is really a strong person. To be touring all over the world, writing numerous new songs, I mean it must be so exhausting and stressful for him at times . He must have a really strong ego strength to accomplish everything he has to get done.

Well I would just like to say that Sebastien is a little star and I love him.
    I love Morrissey. And the parents of Sebastien are very very blessed to have that beautiful wonderful little baby to raise.
    The end.
    Kate2828 -- Friday December 05 2008, @10:31PM (#315767)
    (User #12664 Info | http://www.morrissey-solo.com/)
  • YATQ deluxe CD was a very good idea. Although I had already bought all the singles, it was nice to have all the B-sides in one place.

So maybe, in time, there will be a similar version of Years of Refusal with all the B-sides on a bonus cd?
    Anonymous -- Saturday December 06 2008, @03:12AM (#315768)
  • Stirling & Dundee. Anyone know when the tickets are coming to sale??
    Anonymous -- Saturday December 06 2008, @03:42AM (#315770)
  • When there is a wealth of new material to choose from, that THPGU and AYNIM are on there. This means that at least one song is among the worst he's ever donen (PGU) and two are merely average at best (AYNIM, Paris). Dearest Love would have been better than any of them. Great start to the album.....

Plus, the font on the front cover is awful.

Oh well, Jarvis Cocker has a new one on the way too - as has Malcolm Middleton. I don't hold out much hope for this new Morrissey album now, especially if it's not even as good as Ringleaders and Curry.
    Anonymous -- Saturday December 06 2008, @04:57AM (#315772)
  • This list is missing another song. I believe he's also including Every Day Is Like Sunday on it as well
    Anonymous -- Saturday December 06 2008, @06:17AM (#315776)
  • Really, really should've been on the album.

And does anybody know if the album version of That's How...will be a new version, hopefully without that cowbell beat?
    king leer -- Saturday December 06 2008, @07:59AM (#315780)
    (User #80 Info)
  • on a Dutch musicsite

Stop making albums

5-6 tracks are already known, 2 of them already released

why can't he put the unkonwn b-sides of the
    'paris'single on it, instead of 'grow up' &'all
    you need is me"

i don't see why this is so special, with half
    of the sonf alrady known, the other half must
    be exelent, or it will become already without
    listening a dissapointed album

after all, he shoul've stopped after Quarry

yesterday I was mad about the live dates selling,
    now I'm glad I didn't buy any

his music will be a part of my life till my last breath, but IMHO he needs badly new influence
    if he gets another chance after 'Refusal'

Celibate Cry <[email protected]> -- Saturday December 06 2008, @07:59AM (#315781)
    (User #220 Info)
    and the hills are alive with celibate cries
  • Because I for one did not waste my hard earned money on that Greatest Hits piece of shit. Thank you.
    Anonymous -- Saturday December 06 2008, @08:49AM (#315789)
  • The following is from Moz's official website:

"Morrissey's new studio album 'Years of Refusal' will be released on 16th February 2009 on Decca/Polydor, preceded by the single 'I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris' one week prior."

"The single will be supported by two new songs 'Because Of My Poor Education' and 'Shame Is The Name', the latter featuring additional vocals by Chrissie Hynde."

So why aren't these 2 songs on the track listing? There must be some mistake.

Anonymous -- Saturday December 06 2008, @05:16PM (#315834)
  • fuck me twice :S
    Anonymous -- Saturday December 06 2008, @05:44PM (#315841)
  • I am starting to get a little less excited about the forthcoming album. Including a few songs that have already been debuted live is one thing, but 2 songs that were already officially released long ago is foolish. Granted, AYNIM is an excellent track. THPGU is rubbish.

From the early live visions...Something is Squeezing my Skull should be great, and Mama sounded good too. Paris is a little weak for a lead single, don't you think? If that is the best he's got for the lead single, it kind of doesn't bode well as to the quality of the rest of the album, but we'll see.

I was really looking forward to this album, because I thought Quarry was excellent (especially the B-Sides), and sounded great, so I know Jerry Finn (RIP) can do magic. ROTT sounded like it was recorded in a local studio with broken down gear by someone shooting for the most tinny, annoying sound possible.

So at least the production on YOR should be good, but I am fearing the worst as far as song quality...This could be another ROTT, which in my book was mostly crap. I'm sure Alain's songs will be decent on this one at least. Boz and Jesse, we'll see...

OK even though I am skeptical, I am not making any final determination til I hear the album...I'm holding out hope that my fears are unfounded and that it will be a masterpiece. :)

-IC-
    IanCurtis -- Sunday December 07 2008, @12:43PM (#315880)
    (User #5849 Info)
  • last 4 songs of this 43:25 min long album
    are so fucking great you can not believe it.

as not willing to tell you too much to take away the surpise plasure of it I can say 2 of them are slower and 2 of them are a bit more explosive. if these songs dissappoint you, then give up and go home and jerk off to viva hate (as you probably complained on at it´s time of relase). parts of the new album might contain his best ever solo recordings.
    Anonymous -- Sunday December 07 2008, @07:06PM (#315896)
  • Next year Stephen Patrick Morrissey will be 50 years old. Over the last 25 years he has been a vital force in popular music. He has amazed us, entertained us, beguiled us, intrigued us, infuriated us, but never bored us. The fact that his new album sleeve is being discussed in broadsheet newspapers says it all! When was the last time a Keane or Coldplay album sleeve provoked so much interest? Ok, the music has gone off the boil, post YATQ, but Moz ain't no Ry Cooder - he's not a "musician". He's Morrissey. That he still, occasionally, produces a gem of a lyric to match a gem of a tune - Ganglord, Never Played Symphonies - should be enough for all of us at this stage in his and our lives. He can't help the fact that he's middle-aged and rich and lyrics like "there's ice on the sink where we bath" don't trip of the tongue quite as easily as they used to! I will buy YoR. If half the songs are OK and there's a couple of standout tracks I will be happy. It's time the so-called fans on this website cut Morrissey some slack and showed a bit of gratitude.
    Anonymous -- Monday December 08 2008, @05:56AM (#315914)
  • Save Morrissey might chide:
    'Caitiffs forbear - illustrious prince, let none
    Attempt th'emprise, reserv'd for me alone'.
    : )
    goinghome -- Friday December 05 2008, @05:30PM (#315757)
    (User #12673 Info)
  • 2 replies beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]