posted by davidt on Monday December 01 2008, @11:00AM
Lars sends the image/info sent out by Universal Music:

Morrissey
"Years Of Refusal"
12 Tracks - 00:43:25
From the Album Years Of Refusal
on Polydor (UK)

In the mail it also said that the album would come out February 16th and that the first single would be "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" with a physical release of that February 9th.

This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
(1) | 2 (Morrissey-solo Overload: CommentLimit 50)
  • ..my god. That has to be the worst cover yet.
    Eric Hartman -- Monday December 01 2008, @11:05AM (#315170)
    (User #5103 Info | http://www.patcondell.net/)
    It is a very mixed blessing to be brought back from the dead.
  • I really like this.
    vicarinatutugal -- Monday December 01 2008, @11:06AM (#315171)
    (User #14646 Info)
  • And the baby is not bad either.
    Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @11:09AM (#315173)
  • Yikes! Although I found that pic to interesting I wasn't a big fan of the idea to use it as the cover. Now with that soppy font added to the mix I'm a bit disappointed. I feel rather confident in stating that the contents of the record will be better than the artwork which I suppose it should be... *sigh*
    Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @11:11AM (#315174)
  • Who's baby is that? I hope Moz didn't pull a Michael Jackson and had a baby with his nurse through artificial insemination.
    Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @11:11AM (#315175)
  • I actually liked the covers of Mal, YATQ and ROTT but not very fond of this one. I hope the songs are better than the cover.
    Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @11:23AM (#315177)
  • NOT be on the album...
    Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @11:27AM (#315178)
  • I like the font. To me, it really doesn't suit the austerity of the image and looks like (as did Quarry) an unsuccessful attempt to look vaguely vintage (sixties in both cases, though here a somewhat different kind). Maybe it's an unsuccessful attempt to blend sixties and modern influence, though. I'm really aghast at the Photoshopping of Morrissey's face which is, if anything (simply because of the size?) even more brutal than on the leaked version of this photo. His face and neck never looked like that, even when he was young! Nobody is that smooth!

What's up with the logo? Why is the "years" so small that the eye is drawn to "REFUSAL" before one sees it? That's a trick you do with an "of" or an "and," a word that the eye will fill in even if it doesn't see it. Is this Lui again? What happened?

Seriously, I respect whatever this is going for, and the photo with the baby is still cool, but after the really great design of the Ringleader cover and the at-least-striking-and-funny Quarry one, I just don't think I get it.
    Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @11:30AM (#315179)
  • There is no "W" in Morrissey or "Years of Refusal"
    someraincoatedlovers -- Monday December 01 2008, @11:35AM (#315181)
    (User #10290 Info)
  • I think it's funny, and a little off putting as Morrissey can often be...(November Video?)

My girlfriend, after seeing this, said "It's crazy how far he'll go to look like a molester uncle!". This is a creepy cover BeCaUsE it's Morrissey.

Dat...Dat's what I tink!

-Andrew Deuce Clay
    Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @11:35AM (#315182)
  • This cover has disturbed me from the first time I saw it. I understand his intention behind it, but the cold and obviously uncomfortable expression on his face troubles me. I would've felt much better if he had been holding a dog or cat, which would have seemed more appropriate.

The cover has an eerie hatred to it, which is so unlike the Moz I know and love.

http://mozziestar.wordpress.com
    Mozziestar -- Monday December 01 2008, @11:37AM (#315184)
    (User #21483 Info)
    • refusal by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday December 01 2008, @12:23PM
    • Re:Creepy by Pachinko (Score:1) Monday December 01 2008, @12:40PM
      • Re:Creepy by Mozziestar (Score:1) Thursday December 04 2008, @01:30PM
  • Hate the font and it's placement.
    eugenius -- Monday December 01 2008, @11:49AM (#315186)
    (User #1665 Info | http://www.cherryplucker.com/)
    I'm almost sure you can do better than that.
  • Really? My god. Number one, why not do a song that we haven't heard for the last 2 years (or whatever)? And then, why not a good song? I think it's a bad cover. I want to like it. It doesn't work.
    Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @11:54AM (#315188)
  • Is it just me or does he look like hes about to step up onto the oche and give John Lowe a damn good tonking?
    ManAlive -- Monday December 01 2008, @11:54AM (#315189)
    (User #4261 Info)
    Thirty? I didn't think you'd make it to Thursday!
  • Really nice cover, and fits in well with the two previously.
    Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @11:59AM (#315190)
  • As always, I'm happy there will be a new Morrissey release of any kind and am not prone to whingeing (check my record), but a few thoughts:

- Love the photo and the whole colour scheme.

- The first thing I thought of when I saw the font was "The Steve Miller Band". The classic Morrissey font would've been great, and even written as
    Morrissey's "Years of Refusal"

- "Paris" is a fine album track (or b-side) but just a terrible choice for a lead single. Again, I don't like to be negative about any Moz release but as a single this will sink like a stone. Although it leaves room for higher charting subsequent singles.

king leer -- Monday December 01 2008, @12:06PM (#315192)
    (User #80 Info)
  • The font is very 60s psychedelia a la Pink Floyd Syd Barrett era

As for the photo. Oh dear. If Thats How People Grow Up is also included in the tracklisting this is not just a sign of lack of quality control (middle-aged Jake contentedness to blame? Probably not) but a man resting on his laurels. Unfortunately.

I think its going to be yet another Moz album where two or three tracks are excellent, the rest is Morrissey by numbersand three tracks are downright dirges. I mean look at some of the rumoured songtitles... Dial A Cliche indeed.

Can anyone give the full tracklisting yet as I no longer have access to the forum (work related not a troll!!!)
    Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @12:11PM (#315193)
  • Even if you're not religious(I'm not), we should all feel very blessed. It looks new and creative! Stupendous! Best album cover ever!
    PiccadillyJim -- Monday December 01 2008, @12:14PM (#315194)
    (User #20 Info)
    "Otherwise, kill me..."
  • Does anyone know if this is the actual external cover or is it an internal covering of sorts. I always take the term "sleeve" to be more of an internal dust jacket word rather than an album cover, but that could just be my LP history still showing.

Does anyone know if this wording means its the external cd cover?
    Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @12:16PM (#315195)
  • the man and the baby (wish they were both mine), the colours and the font

the font is so unusual that it will stick out nicely in the record shops! :-)
    Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @12:30PM (#315200)
  • .....And Your Mother She Must Never Know....
    Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @12:32PM (#315201)
  • I am so disappointed. The graphics for "Years Of Refusal" are so frivolous and 70's looking. It would've been a much more meaningful and distinguished cover if it had just been Moz and the baby. Those swirly graphics just ruin it. Almost as bad as "Malajusted". LOL, is it too late for them to change the lettering????
    Pachinko -- Monday December 01 2008, @12:34PM (#315202)
    (User #21276 Info)
  • I liked the photo the first time I saw it several weeks back, classic. The font and color look fine. In fact I'd like to have a poster of this to hang on my wall.

Having three children of my own (12/7/15 months)this photo seems like an Uncle Morrissey type situation, not creepy or perverted. He has to look serious, he's Morrissey.

Love how he has gotten everyone all riled up on this, that's classic Moz as well~

BeeWee

Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @12:48PM (#315205)
    • Re:Solid by Deniston (Score:1) Monday December 01 2008, @02:25PM
  • That's one contented-looking little dude in care of Mozzer.

A plethora of concerns about baby-handling do seem to exist, and some I found on this blogsite -
    http://introducingliston.blogspot.com/2007/05/how-to-hold-baby-bonus.html

Excerpt: "As we all know, holding a baby is about the gayest thing any guy can ever do. It is to be avoided at all costs. If I had to choose between letting Star Jones and Rosie O'Donnell fart in my mouth or holding a baby, I'd pick the former. However, if you look in my book on page 19 at rule 43.b. subsection 4 it clearly defines the parameters should you be forced into a situation where holding a baby is absolutely unavoidable. It states:

In the homo-strophic event that you are required to hold a baby for any length of time there are 3 designated methods of baby-holdery to abide by that will not result in forfeiture of your heteroness. The three methods are as follows. You may hold a baby:..."

goinghome -- Monday December 01 2008, @12:56PM (#315206)
    (User #12673 Info)
  • ... as the 1st single.

Sadly, Morrissey's choices of singles are getting weaker as the years pass. "Throwing My Arms Around Paris" is a miserable choice. I don't know why he decided on this. "My Dearest Love" is solid and possibly the best song he has made in years... why isn't that the first single?

I don't get it and I don't get him. A wasted opportunity and I hold little hope for the album, even though it is his best titled album since Vauxhall and I.

But am I the only one who thinks it must be uncomfortable for the poor child, being held in such a fashion?

Perplexed
    Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @01:05PM (#315209)
  • That looks so degenerate!
    Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @01:28PM (#315210)
  • er... beyond the fact that the baby looks a bit creepy (I know, I know; all babies are beautiful...) yet another shocking choice of font. My typography tutor would have failed me if had presented something like this!
    rank-dsgn -- Monday December 01 2008, @01:30PM (#315211)
    (User #16356 Info)
  • 2009 belongs to Morrissey!

Can't wait for the new single, "Paris" is a beautiful song.

Great album cover. Even if it was his face/arse/old pic/new pic, people would still complain. People always do. It's very easy to be critical and complain...

just wait and see how many people will be *crying* for tickets for Brixton Academy. Cos they will sell OUT fast. I can only remember the scenes outside London Palladium in 2006 where people were desperate for tickets...

Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @01:31PM (#315212)
  • He is embracing his inner child after "years of refusal" and true-to-form, he is the caterpillar (see his arm) and his inner child, from whom he has run, is the butterfly (the wee lad's forehead).....Yeah Guthrie!!!
    BozFan -- Monday December 01 2008, @01:42PM (#315215)
    (User #21642 Info)
  • The album comes out on my birthday!

Franissey :)
    Franissey (Fran)
  • so still nothing official on the US release, I see. Or even if he has a label.

I'm sure he has something worked out but it would be nice to see it in writing.
    Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @02:01PM (#315218)
  • BUT Roll on February 2009! There is so much "indie" shit thrown at us, very mediocre indie acts, pathetic new bands, the new NME darlings, etc.

CAN'T WAIT for the new Morrissey album!
    Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @02:02PM (#315219)
  • Old Mozza, suckin in the gut for yet another picture!
    Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @02:08PM (#315221)
  • It might become like that Athena poster:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Posters-Photography-Poster-Lenfant-Spencer/dp/B000OQQTGO

In fact might there be a certain ironic inspiration behind it? The artist behind that poster (Spencer Rowell) was a fairly interesting figure.
    Or maybe someone just went "'ere Moz, 'old me baby while I snap yer".

I imagine some numpty will see something sinister behind this picture, wanting to revive that old psychologically unhinged debate about Morrissey being a sexual deviant.
    I can't help thinking that Morrissey would have conceived (no pun) this cover with that partly in mind and he's currently gearing up for a ding dong with those self-flagellating moral guardians of right wing (in)decency at The Scum, The Sexlesspress and The Daily Hate Mail.
    Mozzersgirl -- Monday December 01 2008, @02:11PM (#315222)
    (User #14229 Info)
    "There's more evil in the charts than in an al-Qaeda suggestion box" - Bill Bailey
  • ...don't like babies.
    Still, this one looks good with Moz. This isn't a cover anyway. This is a photo. Better for a single than for an album.
    Love the fonts!
    dicartwright -- Monday December 01 2008, @02:32PM (#315226)
    (User #19108 Info)
  • there appears to be no real relationship (chemistry, if possible) with Moz & the Baybee. they both happen to be in the photo. i don't really get it yet, but it's unusual so i kind of like it.
    Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @02:35PM (#315227)
  • What about "One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell"? If you're going to lead with a relatively old song why not make it the best one?

Does anybody know what happened to one day? Will it be on the album at all? I love that song...
    acharmingman -- Monday December 01 2008, @03:05PM (#315232)
    (User #20152 Info)
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more."
    • Re:Paris? by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday December 01 2008, @03:19PM
      • Re:Paris? by acharmingman (Score:1) Monday December 01 2008, @06:29PM
  • There is nothin' creepy about it...he is protectin' the feller's "jewels" from a world that will do everything it can over the course of a lifetime to take 'em.
    BozFan -- Monday December 01 2008, @03:16PM (#315234)
    (User #21642 Info)
  • I think it's a funny thing that men hold their new babies like footballs. Came across a photo of David Beckham holding his kid the same way, and another friend posted a photo holding his kid like he was going for a touchdown.

Whether this is Moz's kid or not...? And the W and swirly thing on his arm is curious indeed. So who's going to be the first to ask at the shows?

I think the vintage 70s font is delightfully camp. It does bring a different light to the photo subjects. So is it 'Years of Refusal' over having kids...or is it a visual statement (in light of recent anti-gay marriage laws in the U.S.) challenging those who still ignorantly equate gay men & lesbian women as child molesters (imho, pedophiles don't even fall within straight, LGBT nor queer. Their sexual preference is not homo nor hetero, but rather 'kid victim who is not equal' instead of consenting mature adult)...and then there is also, Will Never Marry... Without knowing for sure where Moz stands in orientation, it kind of leaves the message open to any of these things (imo) which is perhaps the intention(?).

It just provokes wonder and curiosity.
    So back to the baby. Is it yours or did you borrow him/her, M? Would we have all rather been the mother or the baby? All in all, the baby (I'm in agreeance) is sooo cute. The guy with him, he's not so bad (ehh, of course he's beautiful!).

And imho, "...Paris" is a beautiful song to release first and so true (now having been there!). Will radio play it? I think if people request it, yes, because it is a more traditionally Moz-toned song (about being alone and now actually longing for a physical someone then feeling rejected). It's a very romantic song.
    romeogirl -- Monday December 01 2008, @03:26PM (#315236)
    (User #2891 Info)
  • Papa Jack in Fred Perry polo shirt is going to...

You're going to...

Oh, you're going to...

YEAH , YEAH , YEAH , YEAH

[;
    Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @03:43PM (#315239)
  • The picture's OK... although the baby is obviously distracted by something out of frame. But the typography is absolutely awful, and doesn't seem to indicate anything other than a preference for the worst kind of kitsch. Morrissey usually does irony well, but he's way off the mark with this one. An interesting idea poorly executed.

Love the guy, but it really does seem he's lost his knack for simple, effective, playful sleeve design.

Shame.

Terence Stomp
    Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @03:44PM (#315240)
  • The sort of thing you might find in one of those 'Worst LP Covers of all Time' books. All the elements are there.

It's that bad.

Hopefully it's not too late to change it.
    Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @04:06PM (#315242)
  • There is something lovely and fatherly (and/or motherly) in it. But it comes out in a natural way - not in a way that means, "oh, look at me, I got a kid in my arms, so I am a normal man".
    Mrs. Woolf -- Monday December 01 2008, @04:21PM (#315243)
    (User #14157 Info)
  • This looks very exciting...
    Only Morrissey can deliver this!
    Cannot wait!
    Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @04:35PM (#315246)
  • new albums are released on tuesdays here in america which means that the album will be released on the 17th
    Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @04:45PM (#315247)
  • The pic is great, the colors are wonderful, and the logo... well it struck me as Art Nouveau more than 60's and 70's.
    This Charming Ben -- Monday December 01 2008, @05:51PM (#315251)
    (User #12174 Info | http://www.thischarmingband.net/)
    So bona to vada...
    • It's kitsch by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday December 01 2008, @06:59PM
  • It's over for Morrissey.

He has officially lost the script.

How he could let this kind of atrocious packaging bear his name is a complete mystery. Honestly, I've come to expect the worst from Morrissey since Quarry. However, I am sincerely shocked at how poor his artistic sense has become. There's a part of me that held out hope that things would improve, but now it's fairly obvious that he is well beyond his expiration date.

It almost seems like he's trolling his fanbase, and intentionally putting out crap, in order to mock them.

Of course, as always, there will be a certain percentage of Morrissey fans who find anything he does to be acceptable. It's pathetic.

There's much more interesting music being made these days, if you're a music fan, and you have initiative, but Morrissey certainly isn't in that group.

He's lost all context.
    Nick The Name -- Monday December 01 2008, @06:00PM (#315252)
    (User #20764 Info)
    • Re:It's official. by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday December 01 2008, @07:30PM
    • Re:It's official. by Foster (Score:1) Monday December 01 2008, @07:55PM
    • Re:It's official. by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday December 01 2008, @09:38PM
    • Re:It's official. by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday December 02 2008, @01:10AM
    • Ok by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday December 02 2008, @01:15AM
      • Re:Ok by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday December 02 2008, @09:59AM
        • Re:Ok by boredhousewife (Score:1) Tuesday December 02 2008, @04:24PM
          • Re:Ok by Nick The Name (Score:1) Tuesday December 02 2008, @07:42PM
            • Re:Ok by boredhousewife (Score:1) Wednesday December 03 2008, @01:33AM
      • Dick The Head... by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday December 05 2008, @09:21PM
    • Re:It's official. by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday December 02 2008, @03:59AM
    • Re:It's official. by boredhousewife (Score:1) Tuesday December 02 2008, @04:40AM
    • Fuck Off Nick The Name by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday December 03 2008, @04:44PM
  • hopefully .....or maybe not.

This is bloody awful. This is what happens when one gets too old , too fat and too wealthy to care anymore.
    Mr. M, you are a disgrace.

-An American Somewhere-
    Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @08:12PM (#315259)
  • I LOVE YOU MORRISSEY!

and THANK YOU for making this the first single!

You're awesome. *blows kiss*
    Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @10:01PM (#315263)
  • I like it.

Why can't you people at least try to act normal for a change?

Take the cover at face value. It's nice. It's appealing. And that font makes you WANT to pick it up.

It wins. It's a great cover.

Anonymous -- Monday December 01 2008, @10:11PM (#315266)
(1) | 2 (Morrissey-solo Overload: CommentLimit 50)

[ home | terms of service ]