posted by davidt on Thursday October 30 2008, @10:00AM
Kerri Koch writes:
Passions Just Like Mine is a documentary film telling the story of Latino music fans in the greater Los Angeles area whose lives have been utterly transformed by the words, music, and lifestyle of British pop star Morrissey.
It will be screening on:
November 13th at 8pm (doors 7:30)
The Vine Theater
6321 Hollywood Blvd
LA,CA 90028
$5
www.urbancowgirlproductions.com
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • NO!!!!!!!

We don't care about the "latino fans", we really don't. It was a nice novelty, but it's just a fad like everything else in L.A. Morrissey came in fashion at some point, and the band wagon latino fans followed.

Death to Jose Maldonaldo!

Do you know that there are latino fans who know more and care more about the tasteless cover band Sweet and Tender Hooligans than Morrissey himself!

We don't care about your stupid documentary, the latino fan base is OVER-RATED. They're just a bunch of trouble-making hoodrats and greaser troublemakers. Please stop paying your useless attention to them. It's just too much.

$5 dollars is too much. The people who go to this should be ashamed of themselves, you're so vain.
    Anonymous -- Thursday October 30 2008, @01:14PM (#313545)
  • Jose Maldonaldo does not speak for us!!! Stop asking "him"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous -- Thursday October 30 2008, @03:00PM (#313561)
  • Would anybody in London be interested in a screening of this?
    damien dixon -- Thursday October 30 2008, @03:15PM (#313564)
    (User #9996 Info)
    • Re:london by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday November 01 2008, @03:28PM
  • No one ever asked or wanted you to come here!!
    Please crawl back through whatever tunnel
    it was ,that got you here ....PLEASE go back
    markmustb1 -- Friday October 31 2008, @06:37AM (#313618)
    (User #13161 Info)
    cos no one ever turns to me to say ...
  • This is not your country !
    Anonymous -- Friday October 31 2008, @07:22AM (#313623)
  • as a "latino fan" or whatever I am, I have to say I couldn't care less about these "latino fans theories" that journalists are so willing to ellaborate. First of all who cares, and second of all, what's the big deal? The fact that latinos relate to Morrissey isn't that hard to understand, and the amount of latinos who have no idea who Morrissey is is waaaaay bigger I'm sure. So the question is "Why do so many latinos waste their time with Ricky Martin and won't appreciate Morrissey?"
    I prefer a fan base that in their spare time will listen to David Bowie rather than one that'll go with Shakira.
    That sounded awful of me didn't it? Sorry :)
    dicartwright -- Friday October 31 2008, @09:18AM (#313643)
    (User #19108 Info)
  • everyone needs to seriously shut the fuck up!!!! i mean man!!! ok so morrissey solo is where morrissey fans come together and discuss their love for morrissey in their own different ways. jose maldonado is not morrissey nor will he ever be in place of morrissey butt!!!! he is highly respected for his contribution to morrissey and morrissey fans. going to a sweet and tender hooligans show is as close as come ppl can get to actually seeing morrissey himself!! so stop criticizing people who oput shitt up instead of respecting their devotion and opinions toward MORRISSEY!!!!
    Anonymous -- Friday October 31 2008, @11:53AM (#313656)
    • Re:woooooooow by dicartwright (Score:1) Friday October 31 2008, @12:28PM
  • Maybe I mis-spoke. Listen. I have met MANY latino fans from L.A. and actually, I love them, they are all great people (mostly). There are some fucking asshole, but then, you're right, there are some cuacasian ones too, sometimes worse. Like those fucking skinheads. I HATE THEM TOO! DEATH TO ALL THE SKINHEADS! I think what I'm most pissed about is some fucking journalist and documentary makers CONSTANTLY EMPHASIZING THE LATINO FANBASE IN L.A. AGAIN, NO ONE CARES! That is to say, no one cares about the whites, the blacks and so on. I'm tired of stupid ass journalists going to Jose Maldowaldo for quotes, if Jose had any respect for himself, he'd say, No Comment. But he eats it up and people think HE speaks for all fans, when he, is actually NO ONE. Jose just plagarizes Morrissey, that's all.

Anyway, I'm bored with this. I like latino fans, I really do. But, please quit acting like YOU are Morrissey's "darlings". You're not. And you never will be. Morrissey doesn't work that way.

I should just shut up, I don't know why I try.
    Anonymous -- Friday October 31 2008, @01:08PM (#313676)
  • Also, this goes deeper. I'm a native Californian. And the Mexicans took over without ever even firing a shot. I'm still pretty pissed about this. California was my home, now I know how the Indians felt. I have since fled. My poor home over-run by Mexcians. Drive around L.A., they fly Mexicans above American flags. One day, Americans will rise again and take their California back. Then again, I hope after a major earthquake, California falls into the ocean. Then, Vegas will be the new California! I'm rambling.
    Anonymous -- Friday October 31 2008, @01:14PM (#313678)
  • My wife happens to be a Mexican-American fan and my kids are half Mexican-American so I can't help but to find all the racist comments a bit offensive. I think people who make those sort of statements are just ignorant and fearful and probably wouldn't ever speak like that in a public place, but this is the internet so all bets are off. My experience is this; some latino fans are rude, some are not, the same could be said of any other color or ethnicity. One thing is for sure, there are lots of latino fans and maybe the people whose feathers are so ruffled about this film are just jealous that they don't have anyone making a film about them. Just a theory.
    I mean face it, Moz loves LA. I would argue that Morrissey has a bigger following in this part of the world than anywhere else, even his native country of England. First of all, he plays tons more shows in this area than any where else on Earth. I'm speaking of SoCal, Vegas and even Tijuana, Mexico. If you don't think the latino fans have something to do with that, you're not paying attention. Of the shows I've been to in those areas, there are a lot of latinos in the audience. My point is, if you enjoy all the appearances and tour dates Morrissey does in this area, the latino fan base is a HUGE reason why. He wrote a song called 'Mexico'. He wrote another one about a latino gang member for pete's sake! Moz knows his bread is buttered in LA and I am grateful to benefit from it. It is for that reason some people would have an interest in learning about the lives of the people whose existence draws them to Morrissey/Smiths music. Personally, I find subcultures fascinating and although I am not latino, would love to check out this doc but won't be able to make the screening because I live in San Diego.
    Also, if you don't like SATH, that sucks for you because they are quite talented musicians and put on a great show. I don't know Jose but I met him once and found him thoughtful and sincere.
    Finally, for anyone who is fearful about the USA becoming more brown than white(I am half-caucasian, half Native-American), those immigrants look to you the same way the Native people here saw the european settlers back in the 1500s, as uninvited guests with strange ways who came to take advantage of the land and the people.
    SandyGringo -- Monday November 03 2008, @01:46AM (#313787)
    (User #20243 Info)
  • is a fanbase,whether it's Latino, or Milwall
    hooligans

and for you in the USA, VOTE, if you can't make
    up a choice, Nader is a ant-vote for that
    stupid 2 sided system, which rules the country

Democrats and Republicans

at our local Dutch county voting we have already
    more than 10

Everyone basicly can start a poltical party in
    our country, local, provincial, and even for parlement voting

and yes, it's difficult, and yes, many countries
    don't understand

also how you can buy a snack, and next door shop,
    by some weed, all legal, but it must change IMHO
    Celibate Cry <[email protected]> -- Tuesday November 04 2008, @07:49AM (#313843)
    (User #220 Info)
    and the hills are alive with celibate cries

[ home | terms of service ]