posted by davidt on Thursday October 30 2008, @10:00AM
M writes:
Alain Whyte contributed 3 songs to "Chuck in Real Life", episode 7 of Gossip Girl's second season, which aired on October 20. The songs are called "City Nights", "NYC Streets", and "Martini Lounge". And how did Alain Whyte end up on Gossip Girl? That's one secret I'll never tell. You know you love me. XOXO.
---
CRY-BABY also writes:
Last night I went to the Tiger Army show at the Grove in Anaheim, CA and for 2 songs which where Hechizo De Amr and twenty flight rock Alain Whyte joined Tiger Army on stage and plyed the guitar while Nick 13 sang the songs. Thanks Tiger Army and special thanks to Alain Whyte for making my night
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • How bizarre, though I would like to hear the songs Alain did just to see what they're like.

I believe Alain is a better writer of pop tunes than he is given credit for - "First Of" is easily as good a pop song musically as one could expect to hear.

He hasn't been consistent since Vauxhall, but "Mama", "Skull" and "My Dearest Love" are all great so I'm hopeful for YOR.

And with records due from the Moz, Jarvis Cocker, Franz Ferdinand and Pet Shop Boys among others in early 2009, I look forward to a great year for pop music in 2009.

Also - anybody know what Luke Haines is up to at the moment? Or Eels? Both, along with at least three of those mentioned above, write the kind of skewed, melancholy, bitter pop I enjoy the most!
    Anonymous -- Thursday October 30 2008, @10:17AM (#313517)
    • Re:Bizarre by Mr Sunshine (Score:1) Tuesday November 04 2008, @04:38PM
    • Re:Bizarre by Endocrine (Score:1) Monday November 17 2008, @08:53AM
  • The thought that anyone might be interested in any Alain Whyte record or gig that doesn't involve Morrissey is just pathetic. The guy is just a pub musician, whose pitiful offerings only seem OK because they were sprinkled by the gold dust that is Morrissey's voice and lyrics. Alain who?
    Anonymous -- Thursday October 30 2008, @12:53PM (#313537)
  • I don't know why Alain is not playing live with Morrissey anymore. Can anyone here shed some light on the subject? I believe Alain's songwriting skills to be on par with Johnny Marr and Stephen Street. Obviously, Morrissey still likes his songwriting since he is featured on the new album. So why not tour with him? What happened? Jesse is ok but the Alain, Boz, Gary, Spencer lineup was the best in my humble opinion.
    Anonymous -- Thursday October 30 2008, @01:55PM (#313551)
    • Re:Alain by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday October 30 2008, @03:30PM
    • Re:Alain by shiftlessbody (Score:1) Friday October 31 2008, @07:49PM
  • It was great to see Alain back on stage. He looks really good and his guitar sound is amazing. I wish he played live more often.
    Anonymous -- Thursday October 30 2008, @04:24PM (#313573)
  • Alain Whyte is no comparison to Johnny. He is a hack musician and is barely fit to write music for the local elementary school chorus. His guitar playing sounds like a bowel movement. He is an embarrassment to his profession. I think Moz only keeps him around because he lost a bet.
    No wonder Gossip Girl is using his material as that show is not exactly a high quality show. Kate I read yesterday you were watching this when you mentioned they played HSIN, why were you watching this.
    But Johnny would never be involved with this sort of garbage. Yeah Andy and Mike well they are just like two breasts, they just lay there in a bra, saggy ones at that.
    Yes Moz occasionally uses Alain but that’s only because the local winos sometime are too inebriated to compose music for his latest songs.
    Anyone who compares Johnny to Alain is insane, as Alain will soon no doubt find himself back playing backup for some 350 pound drunk singing old Kenny Rodgers at the local Karaoke bar.
    I know all this quite well as my antennae receives signals from Uranus. There are doo-doo stains in my toilet that I consult with like I consult my psychics and they tell me things. I run up 200 dollars on the 900 numbers I ring them on. It is astounding how much they know. I particularly enjoy the Satanic psychics becasue they know things. It astounds me how they predict my future. Ya’ll should give it a try. They give you a free reading on the first call. One of them told me Smiths will be reuniting and I believe her
    I often look at my reflection in the mirror and fondle myself.
    So my mind has spoken and Alain must accept my opinion of his uselessness and now as the train is coming I must rush out to greet it and wave to the conducktor with the cucumber that is protruding from my anus.
    I wear a skirt around my neck in Shoprite. even though the cashiers look at me in wonderment as they think I am an aophrodite. they see my penis sticking out of the wholes in my dungarees. followed by the skirt over my neck. My pyschic is an old black woman from Jamaica and she has predicted The Smiths reformation although I often wonder how does this former slave even know what a Smith number is. But I place that into my worry box and take her word for it at 99 cents per minute. I have always been known for being super intelligent and intuitive beyond. All of my homosexual lovers say that my wisdom supersedes my 34 year life on this happy merry gleeful planet. I love my job, I love my work. I look forward to arriving at work every day and I hiss in disgust when I have to depart and vacate at night. when I arrive at my desk I’m like a pig in shit. I smile and kiss my bosses ass.
    I holler.

Anonymous -- Thursday October 30 2008, @10:49PM (#313587)
  • To anyone that doubts the greatness of Alain Whyte, just think of your favorite Morrissey songs and then look at the writing credits. I bet it will say Alain helped.
    Anonymous -- Friday October 31 2008, @02:34AM (#313598)
  • I don't know what those songs sound like but it doesn't surprise me they got Alain on board. Someone in the wardrobe dept put one of the characters in the "Captain" dress by Bettie Page Clothing, which is a repro/50s/rockabilly clothing line. Sadly the wardrobe people at GG cut the hem length and made it into a mini dress so it looked like something Fergie would've worn, but I do think that despite that show being painfully vacuous, there's someone quite cool floating about behind the scenes, trying their best to make it not suck as much as it does. It does still suck though, of course.
    Helvissa -- Friday October 31 2008, @05:09AM (#313608)
    (User #12421 Info | http://www.prettypettythieves.com/)
  • Look, to all those discussing this, I think it's quite clear that Alain is a proficient craftsmen who has the ability to write some strong pop tunes, but Johnny's playing is wonderful - he just captures that sense of understated melancholy. Truth is, Alain is fine, a good musician who writes some great songs. I'd happily see him continue to write songs for Morrissey, but if there was a chance of a Morrissey/Marr album, then there's no competition - Johnny wins.
    Anonymous -- Friday October 31 2008, @12:57PM (#313674)
  • As someone rightfully pointed out, comparing Marr & Whyte is apples and oranges. They're totally different. The people who question Whyte's playing abilities are fools, as are those who question his songwriting abilities. Yeah, Smiths were great, Viva Hate was great, but the fact is Whyte wrote the music to MOST of Moz's best songs from 1992 til today! Take "Tomorrow" for example, you could mute the vocals and it's still a beautiful piece of music! "Ringleader" was the worst Moz solo album since "Kill Uncle" and it would've been better if it had more Whyte songs! I would love more info about the Tiger Army show, what did he play with them?
    Anonymous -- Sunday November 02 2008, @03:28AM (#313744)
  • I was there, and Tiger Army sounded AMAZING with Alain! The YouTube doesn't do it justice. I've seen them many times, but it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Alain looked and sounded great, and his playing on those tracks brought a whole new dimension! Viva Alain and Viva Tiger Army!!!
    Anonymous -- Monday November 03 2008, @12:57PM (#313817)
  • it's really hard to compare them. you could say Marr's got the edge on melancholy stuff, but think about how beautiful "trouble loves me" is.

i was not into Whyte at all at first during the "Kill Uncle" tour and "Arsenal". but his writing and playing on "Vauxhall" forward is quite interesting.

Whyte might have the edge on rock sound. but then of course Johnny's got "How Soon" and "London".

i like them both. they aren't remotely similar.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday November 04 2008, @03:46PM (#313856)

[ home | terms of service ]