posted by davidt on Friday October 24 2008, @02:00AM
beefsister writes:
Has this been posted before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrVmg9-Uiv4

This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • didn't he claim it was pretty much a finished demo? from what he said, it never even got the the stage of lyrics.
    eugenius -- Friday October 24 2008, @03:02AM (#313266)
    (User #1665 Info | http://www.cherryplucker.com/)
    I'm almost sure you can do better than that.
  • girl afraid

typical early work kinda demoo

not impressive in a way that their music would
    be better, this demoo could be from 1985
    Celibate Cry <[email protected]> -- Friday October 24 2008, @07:30AM (#313312)
    (User #220 Info)
    and the hills are alive with celibate cries
  • Sounds more like Hatful of Hollow era Smiths.
    Anonymous -- Friday October 24 2008, @09:43AM (#313331)
  • I have to agree with what the previous posters have said....this doesn't sound like it's come from 1987! It clearly sounds more like something from the period between the debut album and 'Meat Is Murder'.
    Surely The Smiths were composing far more accomplished songs by the time suggested here! Even the throwaway tracks like 'I Keep Mine Hidden' and 'Work Is A 4 Letter Word' are more musically advanced than this. This sounds more like something from the 'These Things Take Time' or 'Girl Afraid' sessions.

If this REALLY was where The Smiths were going in 1987, we can only but scratch our heads at the complete lack of musical progression!!
    Requiescant Inpacce -- Friday October 24 2008, @12:35PM (#313352)
    (User #10687 Info)
    "You should not go to them...let them come to you...just like I do..."
  • This from Phill Gatenby, including Simon Goddard's response...

"''I emailed Simon Goddard about this track. He confirmed it was genuine, but that information given during the clip was completely wrong... here are the real facts.

''It was recorded in July 1984 (three years before the split) at Jam Studios, London around the same time as 'William....' and 'How Soon Is Now?' and was produced by John Porter. Morrissey was in the studio, he just never sang on it because it was an instrumental demo of no specific title but, for studio purposes, it was logged on the master reels as "Fast One". It's referred to under that title in the book 'Songs That Saved Your Life', in which I speculated that elements of the tune were a precursor to 'I Want The One I Can't Have' (written few months later) It was never ever called "The Click Track", except by those who weren't paying proper attention''.

Cheers,

Peter
    uncleskinny -- Friday October 24 2008, @01:25PM (#313357)
    (User #7815 Info)
    And so I drank one, it became four, and when I fell on the floor, I drank more

[ home | terms of service ]