posted by davidt on Friday October 24 2008, @02:00AM
An anonymous person writes:
Just saw this, in of all places 'The Sun', (Printed in UK Friday) who is the source i wonder?

"IRVING AZOFF is being credited with making the band reconsider their position on a comeback. "

Gold Smiths - The Sun

IT’S the reunion no one thought was possible.

But iconic Mancs THE SMITHS are “closer than ever” to setting aside their poisonous differences for a comeback.

Sources close to the band believe they could headline California festival Coachella in a one-off show next April for a huge pay day.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • ..... daaaaa
    Anonymous -- Friday October 24 2008, @02:08AM (#313250)
  • Very hard to believe. Especially as it comes from that rag 'The Sun'. I doubt Morrissey would agree, he's already a multi-millionaire so why would he agree to be on the same stage as Joyce and Rourke? Surely not just for the money. Besides, he doesn't need Johnny Marr, and hasn't needed him for a long time. If Marr's post Smiths output (apart from The The) is anything to go by maybe its a good thing The Smiths split when they did. With Morrissey's new album shaping up to be as good as Vauxhall & I, I doubt Moz would be even remotely interested in a reunion.
    ACTON
    Anonymous -- Friday October 24 2008, @02:14AM (#313251)
  • They might get Rourke onboard but the promoter said previously that he would accept just Marr and Moz. There’s no need (and no way they would want) to bring back Joyce Michael.
    It’s not that unlikely. Marr is desperate to return to indie-guitar god status. So much so that he’s recently hooked up with third rate, indie also-rans The Cribs.
    Anonymous -- Friday October 24 2008, @02:16AM (#313252)
  • Source: The Sun.
    I rest my case.
    Martin -- Friday October 24 2008, @02:17AM (#313253)
    (User #278 Info | http://www.thefarm.cjb.net/)
    A Slight Case of Overcombing
  • this better be true. :>

ONLY IN OUR DREAMS!

AND DREAMS NEVER COME TRUE.
    Anonymous -- Friday October 24 2008, @02:18AM (#313254)
  • I think that Marr will be pivotal to any reunion. He effectively disbanded the Smiths and he will be the one to bring them back together. Let's hope a mid-life crisis will bring him to his senses and make him want to have a second taster of those heady days once more. Yamaha
    Anonymous -- Friday October 24 2008, @02:21AM (#313255)
  • But purposefully without Joyce. Out of spite.
    Strutting Rooster -- Friday October 24 2008, @02:30AM (#313258)
    (User #15031 Info | http://www.facebook.com/struttingrooster)
  • For those of us old enough to remember, the Smihs were actually a pretty CRAP live band. Very weedy sound without the overdubs that Marr depended on in the studio. JM struggled big-time to replicate the records' sound in a live setting. A big improvement when Craig Gannon joined.

However, if it's just the 4 piece, younger fans who have only seen Morrissey and his band would be very disappointed.

Anonymous -- Friday October 24 2008, @02:31AM (#313259)
  • Don Henley once said that "hell would freeze over" before the Eagles would reform. In 1994, hell froze over, all thanks to Irving Azoff, he is probably the most powerful and pursuasive managers ever to exist. If it ever was to happen with The Smiths, this would probably be the only scenario (with Irving managing).
    However, I really doubt that Joyce would be envolved.
    deanadshead -- Friday October 24 2008, @02:43AM (#313260)
    (User #10386 Info | http://www.myspace.com/deanjamessolo)
    • Re:Irving... by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday October 24 2008, @02:57AM
  • If we're treating this series of rumours as gospel, didn't we hear last year Moz turned down 2.8million to reform the band - if that amount of money doesn't shift his principles, what difference does it (a year) make?

The closest we'll probably (and this is still an insane long shot) is a lower key one off Moz-Marr gig for some good cause or other. I'd love to hear such a set, celebrating the past (especially if acoustic), but I'm happy that Moz seems to be content living in the present making music that he wants to - whether we all agree if we love him like we used to or not.

Roll on YOR x
    tomdolan04 -- Friday October 24 2008, @03:06AM (#313267)
    (User #21355 Info)
  • Coming from The Sun... I don't believe it! In any case, I hope they don't do a reunion. I think things are fine the way they are. Not a 80s revival, please!
    I wouldn't be surprised if Morrissey and Johnny Marr collaborate though, but that would be a different band or simply Morrissey having Johnny featuring in a record.
    Gejo -- Friday October 24 2008, @03:08AM (#313268)
    (User #15707 Info)
  • Who could be a source close to a band which do not exist anymore? I dont think the former members have any mutual friends. Pile of nonsense
    fredhenson -- Friday October 24 2008, @03:13AM (#313269)
    (User #18875 Info)
  • they play "The father that Must Be Killed."

don't care if its not the Smiths per say, its Moz's best song ever.
    Anonymous -- Friday October 24 2008, @03:28AM (#313271)
  • MAYBE.

Like a 10% chance. It would be nothing more than Marr joining Moz and his band on stage for a set of 5-6 songs.

Anonymous -- Friday October 24 2008, @03:33AM (#313272)
  • ...I really don't want them to reform.
    Don't do it Moz!for the love of God, DON'T DO IT!
    Anonymous -- Friday October 24 2008, @03:36AM (#313274)
  • but I was too busy laughing myself silly.

Is it that time of year already? I thought the reunion rumours weren't due for another three weeks?
    Kitty3780 -- Friday October 24 2008, @03:39AM (#313275)
    (User #17786 Info | http://twitter.com/#!/Kitty3780)
    "There is something I wanted to tell you..."
  • What band ? There is no band so how do you have sources close to something that doesn't exist ? - Yes I am pedantic but it is in The Scum and let's face it i wouldn't believe the printed football results in that rag !.

I really cannot see a full blown reunion happening, though I expect Morrissey and Marr to do something in the future just not as The Smiths - more a Anderson-Butler type thing a'la The Tears.

Only hopefully better !
    Anonymous -- Friday October 24 2008, @03:43AM (#313276)
  • Morrissey won't do that ... never I am sure !
    And I agree with him.

Marr is dead when he quits ... and what is the name of the 2 other musicians ??
    Guillaume Metayer -- Friday October 24 2008, @05:50AM (#313288)
    (User #19088 Info)
    • Don't do it... by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday October 24 2008, @05:57AM
  • Given Morrissey's predilictions I could definately see The Smiths reforming without Mike Joyce!
    Just to rub it in and take the piss a bit...why not, after all The Smiths were just Johnny and Moz!
    They can hire who they like...and after all the drum parts were not that spectacular were they?
    Anonymous -- Friday October 24 2008, @06:00AM (#313292)
  • how bloody priceless that the one-off would take place in the sunny California desert as oppossed to dreary, gray manchester, uk.

LOL!
    Anonymous -- Friday October 24 2008, @06:03AM (#313294)
  • Any Smiths reunion would of course require Morrissey's cooperation, and would necessitate Mike Joyce to appear as drummer. It's a hard fact that Morrissey WILL NOT agree to appear onstage with Joyce. And despite some of the crass comments posted here about Morrissey not needing the money, he's already rich etc, well, I really don't think money's a consideration for Morrissey. Not only is Morrissey continuing to enjoy a successful, if sometimes chequered, solo career, I really do believe he does not wish to sully The Smiths' considerable reputation - despite his sometimes off-hand comments about his old band. Also, didn't The Smiths always like to spurn such cliche rock'n'roll manoeuvres such as this? Let's hope they live up to their promises.

Personally, despite having never seen The Smiths live, I would not like to see them reform. Let the legacy remain untouched.

Frankly, I think there's more chance Paul Weller will reform The Jam.

Terence Stomp
    Anonymous -- Friday October 24 2008, @06:06AM (#313295)
  • Think of how much he's moved on and all the things he's achieved post-Smiths.
    Why would he wanna go back?
    Maurice
    Anonymous -- Friday October 24 2008, @06:13AM (#313296)
  • With a new album due in Feb 2009 and shows booked already for January in Australia and New Zealand, this is a non-starter. Please don't get yourselves excited.
    Anonymous -- Friday October 24 2008, @06:35AM (#313299)
  • very early

his new album is coming out, and tourdates for the promotiion which will ofcourse going to see
    after th dates down, uk, usa and the main land of europe and especially his be beloved scandinavia [finland,denmark,norway and his favourite sweden, did he ever skip asa solo artist, on all of his touring , scandinavia, never, even his poor 1995/7 europe mainland gigs, he played there,no, not 1995, ha, i already
    mentioned a fault in a post while writing.

anyway he's busy, he's gonna be 50 [that maybe the only change he get emotional, and do a gig,
    but never with Mike Joyce, he even't speaks his name anymore, he's ' the drummer'or another cynical stab at Mike

but with Johnny and other musicians it would be great, I think Andy might be invited, but refuses, because of his friendship with Mike, well guitarist,bass players and drummers avaible
    so that would not be the problem

well I'm just writing again a whole lotta crap, casuse it won't happen ever again
    The closest will be when Johhny joins Morrissey
    on stage while touring on his own, with the Lads,
    more there will not come in the future and the Smiths are dead, even when alls well
    Celibate Cry <[email protected]> -- Friday October 24 2008, @06:36AM (#313300)
    (User #220 Info)
    and the hills are alive with celibate cries
  • are fucking full of shit! Anyone who believes The Smiths will reform is a moron and that goes for people who want them to reform also.
    marred -- Friday October 24 2008, @06:44AM (#313301)
    (User #16308 Info)
  • If it did happen I'm almost certain it would be without Joyce. I don't think Moz holds that much against Rourke anymore (he singled out his basslines recently, even if it was a bit sarcastic).

So, assuming Morrissey won't share a stage with Joyce ever again, who would be the ideal drummer?

king leer -- Friday October 24 2008, @06:49AM (#313303)
    (User #80 Info)
  • 1. As mentioned in previous posts, The Smiths were never as good a live band as they were on the records. The sole reason for seeing a Smiths gig in the 80s I imagine was to see Moz and Johnny in person. In my opinion, Moz' current band sounds better, looks better and smells better than The Smiths ever did.

2. I can't see that Moz has any reason whatsoever to reform the Smiths. He has all the money he needs (obviously, and as opposed to certain other members of the band).

3. Anything Moz does during a day, including brushing his teeth, would certainly be more interesting to witness than a reunion of The Smiths.

Having said this, I too would love for Johnny to pay a visit to the stage during a Moz gig. They could use a new trumpet player.
    Linfroolja -- Friday October 24 2008, @06:53AM (#313304)
    (User #19765 Info)
  • Maybe in order to secure a US label for YOR, they made him agree to a one-off Smiths show (or at least an advertised co-appearance with Marr) at Coachella to raise his profile?

Unlikely I know…. Particularly as just three years ago at SXSW '06 he made a big deal about turning down a huge payday to reform the Smiths for a one-off.
    Anonymous -- Friday October 24 2008, @07:05AM (#313306)
  • 5 4 3 2.........

(with confirmation that the next tour will feature 50% Smiths material, only played by Jesse, Boz, Matt, and Sol!!!)
    Anonymous -- Friday October 24 2008, @07:10AM (#313308)
  • who reads and believes the Sun???
    whatever the Sun says it's bound to be rubbish.
    emmanuela_7 -- Friday October 24 2008, @08:10AM (#313318)
    (User #21280 Info)
  • Morrissey reuniting with The Smiths is about as possible as Robert Plant finally agreeing to reunite with Led Zeppelin...it AIN'T gonna happen. Ever. I'll put large sums of money on it :)
    Anonymous -- Friday October 24 2008, @08:25AM (#313321)
  • Anonymous -- Friday October 24 2008, @08:29AM (#313323)
  • I for one, think that The Smiths disbanded at the right time. I know some here may disagree, but I think Mike Joyce's contribution made it a bit more unique. It wouldn't be The Smiths without the original four members.
    Anonymous -- Friday October 24 2008, @08:45AM (#313325)
  • The whole things has just been denied by both Morrissey and Marr. Story on NME.COM
    Anonymous -- Friday October 24 2008, @09:10AM (#313328)
  • Coachella is a horrible, horrible place to see shows. It's just a miserable, hot place.

It would just simply be disappointing if it were to ever happen at a "venue" like that.
    Anonymous -- Friday October 24 2008, @10:17AM (#313337)
  • Once a band has split that's it - it's over. If Morrissey, Marr and the other two appeared on stage together it would not be "the Smiths" - it would just be "four blokes who used to be in the Smiths".

I'm not sure if I'm making my point very clearly or not, but I'm just trying to say that once something is over you can't go back. I love the Smiths but don't have the slightest interest in seeing the four of them on stage together again, and if it did happen (which I don't actually think ever will) it would damage the legacy.

Can anyone think of a reunion that has in any way been a success in anything other than purely financial terms?
    Anonymous -- Friday October 24 2008, @02:36PM (#313359)
  • I don't believe that Morrissey will ever step on stage with Mike & Andy ever again. It's just probably never going to happen. Morrissey would be going against everything he believes in, if he was to have a reunion with Mike & Andy. He has had barly any contact with Johnny through the years, and through emails and as little communication with him, they did the sounds of the smiths. Where these 2 ever in the same room, at any point to really talk over ideas over this release? I mean really... it's false hope that people still try to grab our attention...and it's quick to fade once we are lowered back to this reality of... it is, what it is with all of them.
    The wounds are just to deep to heal.
    This story is old... and I hate to say it...
    THE SMITHS ARE DEAD.

-Mozluv
    mozluv -- Tuesday October 28 2008, @04:24PM (#313496)
    (User #973 Info)
    "guilt by implication by association"

[ home | terms of service ]