posted by davidt on Wednesday October 22 2008, @10:00AM
dialacliche writes:
I was at The Mountain Goats concert on Tuesday October 21st in Portland, Oregon and John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats covered Suedehead by Morrissey.

John prefaced the song by saying that Morrissey was pretty big in all the clubs when he was living in Portland but that he personally couldn't stand Morrissey.

There's even a song that appears on The Mountain Goats' 2002 album titled Ghana called The Anti-Music song where he trashes Morrissey;

"And I saw you on TV
Doing a bad imitation of a second rate songwriter from the eighties named Morrissey
I never liked Morrissey
and I don't like you"
*Anti-Music Song by The Mountain Goats

John then admitted that he has since come around and that he is now a fan. Then The Mountain Goats along with Kaki King accompanying on guitar proceeded to play Suedehead.

It was a fairly faithful rendition of the song, and a great concert!
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • I would have loved to have seen this - The Mountain Goats are pretty much my favourite currently active band. Darnielle is a fantastic, wonderful lyricist. The sleevenotes to Ghana reflect Darnielle's Damascene moment - he says, in relation to Anti-Music Song:

"I've actually become a belated convert to the Church of the Mozzer, and regret going public with my ignorance of his excellence. Posterity is its own punishment, I suppose."

I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth...
    danbutt -- Wednesday October 22 2008, @02:32PM (#313149)
    (User #88 Info)
    • Re:Wow by Celibate Cry (Score:1) Thursday October 23 2008, @06:42AM
  • Love their video for "Sax Rohmer #1"

http://music.aol.com/video/sax-rohmer-1/the-mountain-goats/2058598

DG
    Anonymous -- Thursday October 23 2008, @07:49AM (#313208)
  • ...is because they are very much alike. My band opened up for them earlier this year, and when speaking to him I got the same vibe I imagined I would get if I were speaking to Moz.

When they went on, the crowd was very much like a Morrissey crowd (except notably Caucasian), where the fans clung to every single word and sung along to every syllable.
    Troy's Keen -- Thursday October 23 2008, @09:09AM (#313214)
    (User #197 Info | http://myspace.com/thenewslave)

[ home | terms of service ]