posted by davidt on Friday October 17 2008, @11:00AM
POI RIH sends the link:

Johnny Marr to lecture on ‘mavericks and innovators’ - Salford University news
Tuesday, 14 October 2008

Johnny Marr
He played his best ever gig there with The Smiths 22 years ago, and on Tuesday 4 November guitar legend and Visiting Professor, Johnny Marr will return to Salford University to lecture about the music industry.

The ex-Smiths guitarist and current band member of Modest Mouse will be returning to the University's Maxwell Hall to deliver his first public lecture as Visiting Professor of Music.

Entitled 'Always from the outside: mavericks, innovators and building your own ark', Johnny's lecture is a free event and the public are requested to register for tickets in advance by emailing [email protected]

The last time Johnny performed at the University's Maxwell Hall was with The Smiths in 1986 - an event he regards as the best gig he ever played. He recalls: "The PA had to be tied down because the floor was bouncing up so high that the stage was practically falling to pieces!"

John Sweeney from the University's School of Media, Music & Performance said: "We're delighted that Johnny will be returning to Maxwell Hall after such a sensational performance there in 1986. This time, we've made sure that the Hall is specially reinforced!

"Johnny is a revered guitarist and composer and is held in the highest esteem by many of his fellow performers. His lecture is a tremendous opportunity for our students and the wider public to benefit from his considerable experience and expertise. It promises to be a really special event."

---
Henrik also writes:
Johnny Marr is featured in this weeks (14/10/08) NME!
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • this is the smiths concert johnny was talking about http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0G3I93VQ [megaupload.com]

lister here NOW to a song from the show http://mozzbozz.vox.com/library/audio/6a00cdf3a7625fcb8f00fa96a3ad540003.html [vox.com]

20 July 1986
    University Of Salford, Salford

Panic
            Shakespeare's Sister
            Frankly, Mr. Shankly
            Vicar In A Tutu
            Ask
            I Want The One I Can't Have
            Cemetry Gates
            Never Had No One Ever
            Is It Really So Strange?
            The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
            There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
            That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
            What She Said (with Rubber Ring intro and outro)
            The Queen Is Dead /Money Changes Everything /I Know It's Over //Bigmouth Strikes Again ///(Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame/Rusholme Ruffians ///Hand In Glove

This gig which took place in the Smiths's hometown was listed by Q Magazine among the 100 best concerts ever. The band was in excellent form and the audience very enthusiastic and energetic. The cheers and chants (not of the band's name, but 'Salford! Salford!') between every song were deafening. As soon as "Panic" started everyone in the crowd was jumping up and down. You could feel the floor bounce in time. At some point the stage actually collapsed and they had to stop the show for a few minutes. When they restarted the front rows were almost on the stage, and Johnny and Andy eventually retreated to the drum riser. This made stage invading a little easier, and by the end the place was almost flooded with fans.

The setlist was scrambled and started to look like the typical set of the "The Queen Is Dead" tour. "Stretch Out And Wait" was ditched and replaced with a returning "What She Said" now bookended by the intro and outro from "Rubber Ring". The Smiths also introduced the instrumental "Money Changes Everything" as the first encore, giving Morrissey the chance to rest a little longer than the others before returning to the stage.

Since its live inception, newest single "Panic" had been played with a drum intro not on the studio version. However now that the song was moved as opener, the intro was extended even more than before. Referring to the previous night's concert, Morrissey said "Thank you, who needs G-Mex?... nobody..." before "Frankly Mr Shankly". The yet to be released "Ask" was introduced with "This is a new song... which nobody's heard... it's called... 'Ask'!" Pleased and surprised of the crowd's reaction, Morrissey said "Thank you... we're enjoying you immensely..." before "Cemetry Gates". He didn't sing the last few lines of that song. Instead he turned around, wiped his face and had a drink of water. The explanation for skipping those lines came right after when he said: "A little message... just a little message... If the person next to you spits... please kill them!".

Before "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore", Marr introduced his fellow guitarist Craig Gannon then Morrissey said "Don't be shy!". After that number the singer asked "Everyone sitting comfortably?". As mentioned earlier, "What She Said" was played for the first time in between the intro and outro from "Rubber Ring". However this first performance featured a longer intro than subsequent ones. Before the final song of the main set, Morrissey started chanting with the crowd, but changed the words to "Stretford! Stretford!" while Mike banged the drums to the rhythm. As Morrissey removed his shirt and threw it into the au
    Anonymous -- Friday October 17 2008, @11:43AM (#313025)
  • I'm lucky enough to be going to this leture, even though i dont do music, any questions i should ask mr marr
    mozsupportsrovers -- Friday October 17 2008, @01:58PM (#313033)
    (User #18054 Info)

• Hasn't he broke it off with Modest Mouth?
    lonedom -- Friday October 17 2008, @02:51PM (#313039)
    (User #7846 Info)
    Veteran of both World Wars on Job Seekers Allowance
  • johnny the 'mouse' 'healer'
    f him , i met him ,unlike
    when i met morrissey
    he was not a charming man
    this is a moz page
    go to the marr site for info on him
    Anonymous -- Monday October 20 2008, @07:09AM (#313084)

[ home | terms of service ]