posted by davidt on Friday October 17 2008, @11:00AM
An anonymous person sends the link / excerpt:

School of rock: Hearing strange voices by Will Byers - The Guardian music blog

"Fancy a bit of 'rough'?... Morrissey's vocal 'grain' is one of his more alluring physicalities.

There are many singers whose outstanding vocal qualities are almost universally acknowledged. But what makes us love those voices that are far from perfect?
After closer listening I was mildly surprised that, a couple of yelps aside, the vocal to the Smiths' This Charming Man only uses five notes. The fantastical polyphonic interplay of the guitar and bass subsidises the comparative vocal monotony, but Morrissey is still a joy to listen to. The mournful dourness of his voice, which lights up many a life just as a grey Lowry landscape would, does not require a great range to communicate. It is this individuality that draws as many people to him as it repels."
---
An anonymous person also writes:
Chris Charles blog - BBC sport-Seeing Morrissey in a pub....
"I once had a celebrity slash next to Morrissey in Camden's Good Mixer pub, where he was being interviewed by a music journalist. Having got wind that the reporter was stitching him up, I thought it my duty to inform the great man. He fixed me with a look of disdain and snorted: "In your dreams". It's a moment I'll treasure forever."
The whole article
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

[ home | terms of service ]