posted by davidt on Friday October 17 2008, @11:00AM
Kewpie writes:
joe frady posted this in the general discussion forum:
Janice Long confirmed this very minute that Moz is going to be on the show next Tuesday night-into-Wednesday morning (technically Wednesday 00:00~03:00), that's the 21st/22nd of October. She recorded it on Thursday evening just prior to Morrissey leaving Blighty again, spent a couple of hours spinning some favourite tunes and chatting. She said he was on very fine form, hilarious, etc.
Janice was trying to interview him before O2 wireless gig, but it's good to have him on her show before the album release.
She has many questions such as review of the year, Southpaw reissue and Years Of Refusal etc.
---
Guillaume Métayer sends the link / excerpt:

Janice Long - BBC Radio 2

Morrissey
Hear him chatting with Janice on Wednesday morning's show (october. 22nd, 2008).

This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Can just imagine everyone else looking at me with embarrassment as I chortle along and proclaim he's my hero you know!!!
    Hope I don't get sacked
    Anonymous -- Friday October 17 2008, @11:25AM (#313022)
    • Sonnet 73 by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday October 17 2008, @11:24PM
      • sonnet 60 by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday October 18 2008, @12:31PM
        • Re:sonnet 60 by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday October 18 2008, @12:33PM
  • She is the best thing on British radio. She is intelligent, calm & collected and she doesn't follow silly "flash in the pan" trends. She plays a variety of music - very commercial & chart-y at times but then she always plays some good stuff as well.

She always plays The Ramones!

MMMMvvvhhhhaaah Janice! I want you to be my mother.
    Anonymous -- Friday October 17 2008, @02:01PM (#313034)
  • It seems like a while since we've heard his stance on all that's been happening. Between record company changes, new management, new albums and tour dates, this should prove very interesting. And outside of studio engagements it's nice to learn he's having a rare ole time painting the town red all over the place, from Chrissie Hynde, Liz Phair, Killing Joke, Doll and the Kicks, maybe the Misfits and to who knows what else.

I wonder will Janice ask him anything about the much-hyped world crises? Here's one metaphor for all that.

- The chief of a Native American tribe was asked in the autumn if the winter
    was going to be cold or mild. Being a 21st-century chief he had no idea,
    but said that it was going to be cold and told the people in his village to
    collect wood.

A few days later he rang the National Weather Service.

“Yes, it is going to be cold,” they told him, so he went back to his people
    and told them to collect more wood.

A week later he called again.

“Is it going be a cold winter?” he asked.

“Yes, very cold.”

So he went back and told his people to collect every bit of wood they
    could.

Two weeks later he called again. “Yes,” he was told, “it is going to be one
    of the coldest winters ever.”

“How can you be so sure?” the chief asked.

The weatherman replied: “The Native Americans are collecting wood like
    crazy.”
    goinghome -- Friday October 17 2008, @02:21PM (#313037)
    (User #12673 Info)
  • she has one of the most grating voices I have ever heard. Just thinking about it now I hear the fingernails down the blackboard!!!
    marred -- Saturday October 18 2008, @02:23AM (#313048)
    (User #16308 Info)
  • Someone will record this and post an mp3 yes? ...yes?

(perhaps I should actually register here?)
    Anonymous -- Saturday October 18 2008, @08:43AM (#313054)
  • Oh, yes, yes, yes.
    Janice comes across as a lovely person. She always gets a good interview out of Morrissey.
    But how come she doesn't go by the name Janice Chegwin - that's what I would ask her if I were Morrissey.

Anonymous -- Monday October 20 2008, @03:29AM (#313081)
  • Playlist (Score:2, Informative)

Songs requested by Morrissey:

Louis Louis - Paul Revere and the Raiders

Dear God, Please Help Me - Marianne Faithful

If You Don't Care - Smoming Popes

Mighty Joe - Shocking Blue

Roll Up the Red Carpet - Doll and the Kicks

Souxie and the Banshees - Mother

Serge Gainsbourg - Initials B. B.

Al Martino - Rachel

The Pretenders - One Thing Never Changed

James Darren - Goodbye Cruel World

Jobriath - Morning Starships

Damien Dempsey - Jar Song

Unfortunately Morrissey started asking questions to Janice, she only managed to ask about the album sleeve of Years of Refusal.
    Morrissey only admitted he's holding a baby.

He was offered to be a TV commertial of Kit Kat, to appear in his favourite soap Emmerdale, but both he turned down.

Interview was broadcasted in two parts(around 0:15 and 1:10), can't remember all the conversations, but after Playing James Darren's song Morrissey's quips are hiralious.
    Kewpie -- Tuesday October 21 2008, @06:09PM (#313090)
    (User #20603 Info)
  • Morrissey's playlist (Score:2, Informative)

One of the SoLow moderators posted an erroneous playlist from the Janice Long program. Everyone can listen to the program on the Internet for the next 7 days - just google "Janice Long".

The actual playlist from Morrissey:

PART 1

"Dear God, Please Help Me" by Marianne Faithful
    "If You Don't Care" by The Smoking Popes
    "Mighty Joe" by Shocking Blue
    "Roll Up the Red Carpet" by Doll and the Kicks
    "Mother" by Siouxsie and the Banshees

PART 2

"Initials B.B." by Serge Gainsbourg
    "Rachel" by Al Martino
    "One Thing Never Changed" by The Pretenders
    "Goodbye Cruel World" by James Darren
    "Morning Starship" by Jobriath
    "Jar Song" by Damien Dempsey

NOTE: "Louie Louie" was NOT requested by Morrissey. Kewpie was wrong again. She ran to the board to post the playlist ASAP, but didn't bother to get the playlist right. Jesus - people all over the Internet will think Morrissey requested "Louie Louie" as the first song in his playlist!

ADDTIONAL NOTE: My forum handle is "Theo". The SoLow moderators pulled an NME on me and falsely accused me of "racism" and gave me no due process whatsoever. Thus, I have been banned, for now. I wasn't surprised this happened, as the corrupt, trollish moderator Kewpie posted her enemies list last week and my name was on it. She said the people on this list had better "watch what they say". It only took a few days before the corrupt moderators of SoLow found some flimsy pretext on which to ban me.

Whatever! But apparently the ban doesn't apply to to main board. Which is good, because Kewpie was trying to post an erroneous playlist from Morrissey on the Janice Long program, where she claimed Morrissey requested the annoying frat boy song "Louie Louie", and I am here to correct her.

LoafingOaf <reversethis-{moc ... otstnilfcitnarf}> -- Tuesday October 21 2008, @10:34PM (#313093)
    (User #778 Info)
    Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling.
  • Morrissey, whule defending himself after his anti-immigration statements to the N´: "My favourite singer was born in Iraq and now lives in Egypt".

But somehow his favorite singer couldn't make it into his playlist. Hmmmm................

Instead we get some of the same old songs he always pushed, from Jobriath and Serge. And the same bands he's always pushed, such as Smoking Popes.

How come his favorite singer on earth - an Iraqi in Egypt - didn't make the cut?

things that make ya go "hmmm"

Anonymous -- Tuesday October 21 2008, @10:53PM (#313094)
  • Though throughout, I was having only about enough to stick around. They both seemed so damned comfortable and faintly excited about getting older.

"Sadly, 'entertainer'" was funny though. And the offer for Strictly Come Dancing.

"Roll Up The Red Carpet" by Doll and the Kicks is great great great fun, though nothing else I find on their myspace has impressed me (mainly because absolutely nothing else they've got sounds remotely like it).
    Anonymous -- Tuesday October 21 2008, @10:56PM (#313096)
  • Morrissey claims he has never, ever googled his name. What a liar!!!!!

Anonymous -- Tuesday October 21 2008, @11:00PM (#313099)
  • After all these years: Morrissey, like most great writers, is a boring person.

You enjoy watching him for a couple years, and then things start to seem familiar and you realize the loop has started again.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday October 21 2008, @11:04PM (#313101)
  • When asked about how he'd found Doll & the Kicks Janice was told that Jennifer 'here' knows them and she has great taste (or words to that effect). A Personal Assistant?

Tingle
    Anonymous -- Wednesday October 22 2008, @02:37AM (#313112)
  • Morrissey stated in an interview: "Can we help but be annoyed? Certainly in England, everyone is taxed for everything under the guise of saving the planet..."

Now, in the Janice Long inerview, we find out that Morrissey is a showbiz jet-setter who pretty much lives on jumbo jet 747s.

He wants me to vote for Obama, a candidate who has stated he wants to crack down on my "carbon footprint" and even start dictating what I set my thermostat at. Yet Morrissey feels perfectly okay having one of the most massive carbon footprints of anyone on earth - practically living (in his own words) on fuel-guzzling 747 jumbo jets.

Isn't it time for Morrissey to reduce his carbon footprint to please the Messiah, Barack Obama? Or is Morrissey just too selfish?
    Anonymous -- Wednesday October 22 2008, @03:31AM (#313114)
  • So she was a sixties pin up, a dirty, flirty symbol of free love and rock star revolution... but can she sing? No!

Aside from that, a good fun exchange between Janice and Morrissey and I have no other complaints about his choices.

If anyone has any complaints, please send them directly to my agent.
    Kitty3780 -- Wednesday October 22 2008, @05:08AM (#313119)
    (User #17786 Info | http://twitter.com/#!/Kitty3780)
    "There is something I wanted to tell you..."
  • it was amazing I loved it. Morrissey was so funny! Does anyone have a link where I could download it?
    emmanuela_7 -- Wednesday October 22 2008, @09:20AM (#313126)
    (User #21280 Info)
  • - No news about the new album, "Southpaw" reissue or any forth-coming gigs.
    - A very dull choice of tunes.
    - No mention of his new label (whatever it might be).

It was a bit like 2 old ladies having chat..."Oh, but Janice!", "Always a pleasure Morrissey", "Never mind me Janice, How are You?", etc.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday October 22 2008, @10:06AM (#313131)
  • 6 replies beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]