posted by davidt on Monday October 13 2008, @11:00AM
An anonymous person writes:
This is from the Killing Joke mailing list:

"People came out of the woodwork last night for the show – I was outside smoking while the opening band was on and the smoking area was right by the booth on the side of the building where industry people and anyone that is on the guest-list check in. My friend was on the list thanks to a friend that works for Goldenvoice and was at the booth checking in when walking towards me is 3 men dressed in suits and looking very formal. When they got closer I realized it was Morrissey. I wanted to introduce myself but started to chicken out – so as he starts to walk past my friend calls out to him and says “I have a friend that really wants to meet you” – how embarrassing but I’m glad he did it. Morrissey took time out to talk to me and was very cool and kind, shook my hand (a very firm handshake at that) and was pleasant.

Not more that 3 minutes later the one and only Steve Jones walked up to the check-in booth – again I had to meet him being one of my heroes over the years. I told him it was great to see he made it out to see Killing Joke – I told him what a pleasure it was to meet him and he too was very nice and shook my hand and gave me a wink.

When Killing Joke came on stage and opened with “Requiem” everyone went nuts! I had a great spot stage right on the top step going down to the floor so I had a perfect view right in front. While they were playing “Requiem” I noticed everyone looking behind me and when I turned around I saw that Dave Grohl was trying to make his way to the front and made it to where my friend and I were standing – he was going nuts and came between my friend and I, put his arms around us as we all sang along to “Requiem” – Very cool! Dave stayed up front for the first 4 songs or so just having a great time with everyone else.

I can honestly say that last night was one of the most incredible nights of my life! Seeing the original Killing Joke, meeting Morrissey and Steve Jones, and singing along to “Requiem” with Dave Grohl – what a night!!!!!!!!!"
---
Kewpie also sends a link to the NME mention (via a post by modrevolve in the forums):

Killing Joke play first US show in 20 years - NME.com
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Great story, sounds like a hell of a night. A few comments:

1. That NME story that is linked is really crap! 1st US show in 20 years???? They toured in the mid 90's and then again just 4 years ago! I saw them twice in 2003/2004 in the states when their self-titled "comeback" album came out.

2. Killing Joke were the most important (altho absurdly under-appreciated) band of the 80's besides the Smiths.

3. Morrissey was there? Who'd of thunk it? Doesn't seem like his type of band, but major props to Moz for showing respect to fellow British legends!

4. I am seeing Killing Joke tomorrow night at The House of Blues in Chicago!!!
    IanCurtis -- Monday October 13 2008, @12:04PM (#312894)
    (User #5849 Info)
    • Re:Wow! by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday October 13 2008, @03:52PM
  • An excellent band that deserve all of th recognition they can get -- I am glad Morrissey was there, though I would have punched Dave Grohl in th face

Remember - less than a month left
    Vote Palin-McCain - real mavericks for change
    Anonymous -- Monday October 13 2008, @12:28PM (#312896)
  • Was he there ? I heard he is a Killing Joke fan.
    Anonymous -- Monday October 13 2008, @01:30PM (#312906)
    • Re:Alain Whyte by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday October 13 2008, @01:59PM
      • Re:Alain Whyte by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday October 16 2008, @07:12PM
  • I just saw Killing Joke last night for the first time since '84. They sounded fantastic, and the crowd went nuts. Geordie has always been my favorite guitar player and my biggest sonic influence - no one else sounds like him.

Dave Ghrol did such a great job on "Killing Joke" in '03; I had a new-found respect for him.

Meeting a sharp-dressed Moz would have made it a near perfect evening - you lucky, lucky thing :-)

Anaesthesine -- Monday October 13 2008, @02:48PM (#312910)
    (User #14203 Info)
    If Moz did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.
  • man that awesome. congrats on having such a great time. im jealous.
    Anonymous -- Monday October 13 2008, @03:17PM (#312913)
  • killing joke
    the peel sessions 79 - 81
    Taking a sarcastic jab at authority and perceived reality to a sonically charged mixture of post punk and metal, Killing Joke’s heavy guitars and pounding tribal drums conjure a primitive atmosphere of doom, gloom and resistance. These Peel Sessions were recorded between 1979 and 1981 and the sleeve notes here have been written by Alex Paterson of The Orb (before The Orb he was the band's roadie). Tracks one to fourteen are Peel Session tracks, fifteen to seventeen are a bonus Richard Skinner session from the same period. This is the first time the tracks have been made available on CD and all tracks featured on this album are much rawer and some predate their studio counter parts by some months...

Tracklisting

1. Pssyche (John Peel - 17/10/79)
    2. Wardance (John Peel - 17/10/79)
    3. Nuclear Boy (John Peel - 17/10/79)
    4. Malicious Boogie (John Peel - 17/10/79)
    5. Change (John Peel - 5/3/80)
    6. Tomorrow's World (John Peel - 5/3/80)
    7. Complication (John Peel - 5/3/80)
    8. The Fall Of Because (John Peel - 27/4/81)
    9. Tension (John Peel - 27/4/81)
    10. Butcher (John Peel - 27/4/81)
    11. The Hum (John Peel - 16/12/81)
    12. Empire Song (John Peel - 16/12/81)
    13. We Have Joy (John Peel - 16/12/81)
    14. Chop Chop (John Peel - 16/12/81)
    15. Tension (Richard Skinner - 29/5/81)
    16. Unspeakable (Richard Skinner - 29/5/81)
    17. Exit (Richard Skinner - 29/5/81)

http://www.recordstore.co.uk/home.jsp?wherefrom=productdetail.jsp?productPK=unittest-gP2M90FJY4WUJRcYpN3IEb-1
    goinghome -- Monday October 13 2008, @03:22PM (#312914)
    (User #12673 Info)
  • ...but it all appears to be real...so good luck to you old Son!

Sheridan
    "I am sleeping...I do not want to believe"
    Anonymous -- Monday October 13 2008, @04:04PM (#312922)
  • free to go anywhere he dam well likes...but has Moz ever mentioned a fondness for Killing Joke before?

It's news to me and I have been a Smith since..oh..June 1804! lol!

Sheridan
    Anonymous -- Monday October 13 2008, @08:02PM (#312927)
  • ...former choirboy Jaz Coleman looking these days?

Did they play 'Love Like Blood'?
    Lazy Sunbather -- Wednesday October 15 2008, @11:04AM (#312979)
    (User #843 Info)
    • Re:How is... by IanCurtis (Score:1) Wednesday October 15 2008, @12:26PM
      • Seems like... by Lazy Sunbather (Score:1) Wednesday October 15 2008, @01:12PM
  • Saw them last night in Chicago. Awesome show. Jaz Coleman looks good still, and is as intense and insane as ever. Highlights included "Requiem", "Love Like Blood", "Eighties", and "Money is not our God".

As far as Morrissey attending the LA show...It definitely doesn't seem like his normal type of band. But he went, so maybe he has secretly admired them throughout the years. I can't imagine Jaz having much admiration of Morrissey, but who know. I know this- I would pay big $ to sit in a room with Jaz and Morrissey for an hour and hear them talk to each other.
    IanCurtis -- Wednesday October 15 2008, @12:37PM (#312982)
    (User #5849 Info)
  • always talks up The Smiths these days; regaling us with quaint anecdotes about his tea sipping bezzy ole 'china plate' Mozza and what a 'magical' time it was...this wouldn't be because there is a new Smiths CD out, would it?

Said magic brought about one of the most bitter lawsuits, over performance royalties, ever contested.

Morrissey claims the only bit of nostalgia he has clung on to since The Smiths days is the letter he received from Alain Delon, re: artwork on TQID.

He, 'Mozza', spent over five years in The Smiths - and in his treasure chest of nostalgic mementos is a single letter from an aging French actor!

I have no reason to dislike Joyce, but I think he really is a cynic.
    Lazy Sunbather -- Wednesday October 15 2008, @01:32PM (#312984)
    (User #843 Info)
  • did anyone manage to get a snap of dear ol Mozza? I've heard he's staying in WeHo, feeling right at home, I supose.
    Gin N Tonic Jil -- Wednesday October 15 2008, @02:37PM (#312988)
    (User #7276 Info)
    You're not down with who I am but, look at you now you're all in my hands...tonight I'm a Rock N' Roll Star!!
  • has anyone found morrissey's new home?
    ella-reflex -- Wednesday October 15 2008, @09:55PM (#312994)
    (User #13859 Info | http://myspace.com/ella_reflex)
    Only when I'm dancing can I feel this free...
  • KJ was always the "hard boys band". All the poofties were into make-up and Bauhaus but all the ex-punk goth boys in studded leather jackets were into Killing Joke.

Killing Joke live were proper punk!
    Anonymous -- Thursday October 16 2008, @05:03PM (#313007)
  • Seen Killing Joke this month at Forum London-
    Pandemonium and other treats- it was one of the best live gigs l've ever seen- l'm glad Mozzer has good taste- Long live Killing Joke...
    tallpaddy -- Thursday October 16 2008, @05:09PM (#313008)
    (User #16766 Info)
  • 2 replies beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]