posted by davidt on Thursday October 09 2008, @10:00AM
Rhino UK writes:
Hi There

I hope you don't mind me submitting this as a story but i thought you would like to know that the full details and artwork for The Smiths Singles Box has now been posted on rhino.co.uk. The box will be available in UK stores from 8th December but will be shipping from Rhino.co.uk 3 weeks early on the 17th November. Feel free to email me if you have any questions or queries.

Many Thanks

Singles & Box press release
Singles Boxset

www.rhino.co.uk offer: Get the Singles Box first from Rhino.co.uk! Not only will be shipping from 17th November, 3 weeks before it hits the shops, but the first 100 orders of the Singles Box will come with a free promo-only CD single of This Charming Man AND be entered into a draw to win a print of the cover image!

Rhino UK are proud to present “Singles Box”: a clamshell card box card box containing the first ten UK-issued singles in their original picture sleeves. What makes this particularly special is the two singles which are exclusive to this box set: These unique inclusions are the projected fourth single - “Still Ill” (which was pressed only as DJ promo “A” label) but was ultimately passed over and replaced by “Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now” along side the Dutch release of “The Headmaster Ritual” housed in it’s black & white “cowboy” sleeve – the rarest commercially issued Smiths’ single in any territory.

The box is completed with four contemporary badges, a poster featuring the single artworks as well as an authentication certificate that contains a unique redemption code for mp3 downloads of the tracks.

An absolute must have item for Smiths‘ fans, and limited to 10,000 copies only. All singles utilise the original production masters from the period.

The front cover image of the box was personally chosen by Morrissey. It features Joel Fabiani from the 1969 TV series "Department S", starring Peter Wyndgarde, Joel Fabiani and Rosemary Nicols.
---
Update: 10/11 14:49 GMT: An anonymous person notes in the comments the boxset is available for pre-order at Amazon.co.uk with a larger scan of the sleeve (uploaded here).
---
Related items:
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • otherwise I wouldve ordered it
    robiskeen -- Thursday October 09 2008, @10:09AM (#312757)
    (User #17581 Info)
  • 7" vynils? no cd's? i'm not going to buy them.
    Anonymous -- Thursday October 09 2008, @10:39AM (#312761)
    • Re:7" vynils? by LawrenceM (Score:1) Thursday October 09 2008, @11:06AM
      • Re:7" vynils? by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday October 09 2008, @12:47PM
      • Re:7" vynils? by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday October 09 2008, @04:13PM
  • Best start queueing up at HMV before they sell out. I think not.

Expect heavily reduced items in FOPP in January...
    Dave2006 -- Thursday October 09 2008, @10:40AM (#312762)
    (User #18005 Info)
  • Wow! Was I first?

And a tacky badge too.....

Re-Package (times 100)

NOBODY has record players anymore - and if they have, they wouldn't play these singles anyway. So just another - totally - pointless release.

Pass.
    Anonymous -- Thursday October 09 2008, @10:54AM (#312763)
  • It seems that they choose any old photo for the smiths covers these days. Morrissey chose his album & single sleeves very carefully and with great taste.

But now it looks like any old "vintage" photo will do.

How very Vulgar.
    Anonymous -- Thursday October 09 2008, @11:21AM (#312770)
  • you can also but them from recordstore.co.uk and they ship worldwide.

http://www.recordstore.co.uk/home.jsp?SearchField=CATEGORY&Search=thesmiths
    scottishblood -- Thursday October 09 2008, @12:31PM (#312774)
    (User #19658 Info)
  • Is that a leather jacket on the cover?
    Anonymous -- Thursday October 09 2008, @01:56PM (#312781)
  • What a dreadful cover. Joel Fabiani looks likes he's nursing an erection. Sleazy, not to mention materialistic. If there's any irony at work here I can't for the life of me spot it.

Difficult to see the point of this one.
    Anonymous -- Thursday October 09 2008, @03:58PM (#312791)
  • The car as extension of a guy's appendage... Now there's an original idea. What's on the flip, Diana Dors holding a pair of melons?

What is Morrissey trying to say about The Smiths' with this image? Moz used to be much better at this sort of thing.
    Anonymous -- Thursday October 09 2008, @05:39PM (#312800)
  • It's a growing market again, lucky for us who appreciate cover art. Plus it's a bonus, vinyl these days come with mp3 download codes.
    Looks like a win/win to me, so why the fuss...
    Hidden By Rags -- Thursday October 09 2008, @09:51PM (#312804)
    (User #10262 Info)
    • Growing market? by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday October 09 2008, @11:03PM
    • Fact... by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday October 10 2008, @08:20AM
      • Re:Fact... by robiskeen (Score:0) Friday October 10 2008, @09:12AM
      • Re:Fact... by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday October 10 2008, @09:28AM
        • Re:Fact... by robiskeen (Score:0) Friday October 10 2008, @10:40AM
          • Re:Fact... by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday October 10 2008, @05:40PM
  • Face it, kids. Even if you don't like it, enough people do to keep it alive.
    If you don't collect and have no interest in listening to the music you like this year in ten or twenty or thirty years, you can buy CDs or have fun with your hard-drive full of downloads. I'm doing that as well, but some things - like Smiths albums and singles - I like to own as vinyl.
    secret -- Friday October 10 2008, @12:19AM (#312810)
    (User #18287 Info)
  • Does this release get Morrissey's approval?

The artworks awful!
    Strutting Rooster -- Friday October 10 2008, @02:04AM (#312811)
    (User #15031 Info | http://www.facebook.com/struttingrooster)
  • How very, very vulgar.
    AllSea -- Friday October 10 2008, @02:15AM (#312812)
    (User #15089 Info)
  • inlovewiththepast -- Friday October 10 2008, @02:16AM (#312813)
    (User #1028 Info)
    truth rest your head there is more than a life at stake here..she may well sell sanctuary but she'll also sell your soul
  • Why not just release the deluxe ed. of SOTS on vinyl? That'd be much more desirable than the 7" box. A box of ALL of the Smiths 7" (or 12") might also go down well.
    Anonymous -- Friday October 10 2008, @06:44AM (#312821)
  • vinyl or cd

there will be a cd single of this charming man

is the only thing I read about on what material its'gonna released, but if it's original it'll
    be vinyl, that's not hard to finf

but all the talks about remastered songs, well
    i shall look in 2 hand store if theres authenic
    vinylplayer in tha house, I might get 4 free,
    so he can store 2 washingmachines, there's one
    1 min. walk from me, well it at the other side of
    the park,by the gasstation, so I'll buy me
    saturdaynewspaper, and look for a stereo who can
    play vinylrecords

second problem , Im Dutch so I have to order as soon as possible

3rd, why all this hurry for tracks I already got 3 times, some though
    Celibate Cry <[email protected]> -- Friday October 10 2008, @07:43AM (#312824)
    (User #220 Info)
    and the hills are alive with celibate cries
  • Why only 10 singles + 2? Are they going to try and push the rest of them out later on? Limited to 10,000? Good luck! Morrissey put out those vinyl 12" off of "Querry" (limited to 1,000) and you can still find those from time to time. They couldn't sell 10,000 copies if their life depended on it. In the press release it said the Dutch cowboy was the rarest sleeve every. Try French "There Is A Light.." next time. That is the rarest commercial release. Or let's try Italian 12" William with the edit of "How Soon Is Now" for the next release?
    Anonymous -- Friday October 10 2008, @08:25AM (#312826)
  • Ive never known such a bunch of moaning bastards,Why dont you fuck off and listen to someone else?
    Anonymous -- Friday October 10 2008, @09:53AM (#312832)
    • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.
  • I rushed to order this, but sadly it is UK only. The US rhino site had no mention, but I did pre-order through another site.

Any chance of a US release? Didn't think so.

Forgot my password, but I'm ssalefish comics, not an anonymous lurker/hater!

Anonymous -- Friday October 10 2008, @10:20AM (#312833)
  • I was expecting more in terms of presentation. The photo looks taken from any retro greeting card from Paperchase. Nothing compare to the wonderful covers of The Smiths!
    I have a wonderful new record player and I love playing records, but the price it simply a rip-off when new 7" can be buy for £2.
    It is a pity it doesn't include postcards instead of badges.
    Personally, I find far more interesting (though expensive) going to music fairs to buy the original singles. I am just missing two, so I don't think I will buy this unoriginal box. They should live the memory of The Smiths alone instead of following the trends. No box-set would be more original! This is just to make money, obviously. Why not just a nice B-side compilation of all the singles on CD?
    Gejo -- Friday October 10 2008, @03:11PM (#312845)
    (User #15707 Info)
    • Re:Box by kissmyshades (Score:1) Saturday October 11 2008, @02:09PM
  • Have them all anyway. Besides, am skint.
    kissmyshades -- Friday October 10 2008, @03:29PM (#312846)
    (User #12542 Info)
  • Why the rush?

Soon, this vinyl crap will be all over ebay at half the price.

Anyone rushing out to buy this is a sucker.

Morrissey is starting to choose lame album covers that look like they were made by his naive fan-base. We've all seen them on bootlegs.

This cover selection is more evidence that artists really do have a shelf life.
    Nick The Name -- Friday October 10 2008, @08:23PM (#312856)
    (User #20764 Info)
  • I'll say!
    Anonymous -- Saturday October 11 2008, @08:27AM (#312862)
  • How can anybody possibly care about this box set? Any serious fan would already have ALL these tracks. I guess if you're a younger fan who got into Morrissey because some emo band dropped his name as an influence, then you won't have this stuff, so this box set makes it incredibly convenient for you.

I for one won't buy this because I don't need it.
    Anonymous -- Saturday October 11 2008, @10:26AM (#312863)
  • I think the artwork for this is excellent, it makes a change from the lazy b/w photo and pink times roman font, the whole look of this box set is fantastic!!
    Aly Panic -- Saturday October 11 2008, @12:25PM (#312867)
    (User #12194 Info | http://www.myspace.com/smileytuesdays)
  • Phew! Lucky that's a real "mod" from an actual
    film. I was worried for a second it might
    have been a post modernist mod sporting a toupee......
    mauve21 -- Saturday October 11 2008, @05:08PM (#312873)
    (User #13027 Info)
  • The idea may be noble - God knows I've searched high and low for a copy of the "Hand in Glove" 7" that I could afford, but it is obviously another crass cash in. To release "singles' that were merely considered by the band as singles? Sad. And no offence to anyone stateside, but the US never played a role in deciding what was released way back when, so why pretend so now.

I actually got quite excited when i read about the new Rhino compilation, thinking that those exclusive tracks that I only had on vinyl (Pretty Girls, Some Girls, Work, I Keep Mine Hidden, This Charming Man -dodgy mixes included) were going to see the light of day on cd. However, I now realise that once again some fuckwit is trying to fleece us all by releasing snippets. Only Pretty Girls and This Charming Man are on the "bonus" cd and no doubt next Xmas there will be another release with a smidgen of a tantalising taster.

As far as I'm concerned the last Smiths release was "Rank". I'm going to stick with that. Until my ipod starts to melt.
    owenm -- Saturday October 11 2008, @07:08PM (#312874)
    (User #21530 Info)
  • I think it would be better if they had launch the singles as CDs. In the same way they did with the two CD-singles boxes of Morrissey.
    Gejo -- Sunday October 12 2008, @01:38AM (#312877)
    (User #15707 Info)
  • Ocean Colour Scene fans , exhume.
    Anonymous -- Monday October 13 2008, @05:05AM (#312887)
  • Rhino.co.uk are now accepting international orders for the Singles Box:

http://www.rhino.co.uk/rhino-store/products,the-smiths-singles-box_2557.htm

Postage rates are as follows:
    Europe: £5.60
    Rest Of World: £9.70
    Free worldwide shipping for all orders over £100

Anonymous -- Friday October 17 2008, @07:46AM (#313019)
  • That joke is old...have you nothing intelligent to say?
    Anonymous -- Thursday October 09 2008, @07:34PM (#312802)
  • 3 replies beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]