posted by davidt on Tuesday October 07 2008, @10:00AM
Uncleskinny writes:
From the "GOALS" football pull-out section in The Sun (UK), Monday 6th October.

Pic here (from my scan) -

Original forum thread started by Bluebirds.
---
CJ also writes:
Jim White of the Daily Telegraph reports that former Smiths-frontman Morrissey now supports Millwall FC.

It suggests that he was spotted in LA sporting a Millwall shirt with 'mobster' printed on, and then proceeded to contact club officials to inquire about attending their home fixture against Leeds.l

Also on BBC Sport Football Gossip.
---
Tearsofbemusal also writes:
According to today's Daly Telegraph, Moz has been swanning around LA sporting a Millwall FC shirt, adorned with the word 'Mobster' on the back. They suggest that he's become an overnight supporter, but is it a nod to the Krays? I know that a Millwall mention appears in the Playboys video. I dunno...
---
An anonymous person also writes:
...Leeds v Millwall 'was' a fixture between two of the most hated clubs in the country, both clubs with reputation for violent fans.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • ...get him a season ticket for Celtic Park! There'll be no other team for him after he steps into Paradise
    Anonymous -- Tuesday October 07 2008, @11:36AM (#312605)
    • Re:Someone... by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday October 07 2008, @03:07PM
      • Re:Someone... by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday October 08 2008, @06:30AM
        • Re:Someone... by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday October 08 2008, @07:25AM
          • Re:Someone... by finethen (Score:1) Thursday October 09 2008, @08:51AM
            • Re:Someone... by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday October 09 2008, @10:32AM
              • Re:Someone... by finethen (Score:1) Friday October 10 2008, @05:07AM
  • He looks so cute in his tee-shirt!
    I'm in love!
    Anonymous -- Tuesday October 07 2008, @11:48AM (#312608)
    • Photoshop... by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday October 07 2008, @11:55AM
  • Football is played in America - I have no idea what he is wearing

Remember - Palin in 09
    Anonymous -- Tuesday October 07 2008, @11:49AM (#312609)
  • Well his father was very known in the community Moz grew up in, for being very good at football. So he obviously takes a bit after his father.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday October 07 2008, @11:56AM (#312612)
  • Man United, West Ham, now fkin muggy Millwall.

Why not just say I want to go to White Hart Lane and be bloody done with it.

I thought he taste.
    devout -- Tuesday October 07 2008, @12:59PM (#312616)
    (User #6172 Info)
  • Why bother posting this crap? It's a load of BS and a bad photoshop job at that!
    marred -- Tuesday October 07 2008, @01:22PM (#312619)
    (User #16308 Info)
  • yet even though they have him as a millwall fan, why is he pictured in a leicester city shirt?

did they think put a blue shirt on him and nobody will notice :-)
    Anonymous -- Tuesday October 07 2008, @02:02PM (#312622)
  • Interesting that they got a quote from Joe Gallan here... Remember that his son, the ex-QPR player Kevin Gallan is also very good friends with Morrissey and gave him the 'Mozalini' shirt he wore a lot around Rome.

Let's all go to the Leeds game....
  • Why is he wasting his time; When we all clearly know the club of the EPL is Liverpool! C'mon Moz.......you'll never walk alone!
    Anonymous -- Tuesday October 07 2008, @03:22PM (#312632)
  • He's not even interested in Soccer. He even stated that he couldn't care less, when questioned about it.

He did the same with boxing when his boyfriend was into it. It's a sad attempt at adding irony to his character.

The man couldn't even hold a cricket bat properly, and we're suppossed to believe that he's sincerely interested in sportive competition?

Maybe for the boy candy, but certainly not for the love of the game.

Nick The Name -- Tuesday October 07 2008, @07:09PM (#312641)
    (User #20764 Info)
  • Morrissey can wear a LA Dodger jersey anytime!! I think he'd look good in it!! Besides what would Moz Angeles be without LA love!!!
    VIVA MOZ!!! GO DODGERS!!!
    Anonymous -- Tuesday October 07 2008, @08:28PM (#312645)
  • It is a Leicester shirt.

But come Moz, Tigers all the way... Come on You Hull!!!
    unklejunior -- Wednesday October 08 2008, @03:06AM (#312656)
    (User #21417 Info)
  • Isn't this song a ref to the Millwall fans' chant of "Nobody loves us, but we don't care"?
    Anonymous -- Wednesday October 08 2008, @03:43AM (#312657)
  • Crock of shit.

Is there any real news out there? The Sun is the worst of the English 'gutter press' that will publish any old toss to feed its gullible readers.

This is a non story.
    AllSea -- Wednesday October 08 2008, @04:46AM (#312661)
    (User #15089 Info)
  • "...to ask if he could play 10 minutes for us in our pre-season friendly against Shelbourne...So instead I sent him a shirt with a N0. 9 and Mobster written on the back and he loves it..."

This article read worse than the National Enquirer; and if Mozzy doesn't get what he wants...I don't think he just settles for a shirt.

Where would Mozzy have been that there is a picture of him running in that Jersy?

Anyone seen the picture upclose...what's the chance that it is a bit of Photoshop work?
    Anonymous -- Wednesday October 08 2008, @08:39AM (#312679)
  • this reminds me of a few fast show sketches.... dave?
    mattorefice <[email protected]> -- Wednesday October 08 2008, @09:30AM (#312680)
    (User #2318 Info | http://pechogrande.com/)
    Leslie Towne Hope = Packy West
  • "...he's always emailing me wanting to know what's going on at the club."

No matter what club he's supporting, he looks great in that shirt.

Hidden By Rags -- Wednesday October 08 2008, @10:41AM (#312686)
    (User #10262 Info)
  • there are no useful comments, only the illusion to have a sort of say!
    Anonymous -- Wednesday October 08 2008, @04:11PM (#312706)
  • he's not really a die hard fan of any club over the year

city/united [both manchester]

arsenal

west ham

la galaxy

now Millwall

I hope Scunthorpe next

why not the best

the Spurs

Tottenham Moz ;)
    Celibate Cry <[email protected]> -- Thursday October 09 2008, @12:32AM (#312718)
    (User #220 Info)
    and the hills are alive with celibate cries
    • Re:mhhh, odd by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday October 09 2008, @06:44AM
  • I`m not particularly interested in the news story itself, but I think it`s a reflection of how Morrissey`s profile is larger now than at any other time. It`s good that his association with Millwall induces such excitement, especially among the soccer fraternity itself. Yamaha
    Anonymous -- Thursday October 09 2008, @01:57AM (#312725)
  • Soccer is gay
    Anonymous -- Thursday October 09 2008, @02:43AM (#312729)
  • That is what this is all about. Millwall are the team everyone loves to hate. Their motto 'no-one loves us, [sound familiar?] we don't care', and his outsider status fits perfectly with how Moz perceives himself and how he markets himself to other outsiders. Add to that problems the team's white working-class fanbase has had with suggestions of racism and hooliganism in the past, and the re-release of Southpaw Grammar, and it all makes sense.

Consistent with earlier associations with West Ham, This is also an expression of Moz's fascination with white working class football culture generally. Honest, I swear, it's the turn-stiles...

A friend of mind told be about this story and challenged me to guess which team Morrissey supported. I promise you, I got it on the fourth attempt (after listing his previous associations with Chivas, Man U and West Ham). I am afraid this was predictable and actually pretty superficial. It is good old fashion marketing- think aboout it, the fans of all these four clubs are likely to have an affinity for Moz, and this is his way of saying 'I am one of you'.

It is nothing to do with being a real football fan- the most important principal being that you support the same team through thick and thin from childhood until the day you die. Real football fans may divorce their wives- they never divorce their team.

As a Crystal Palace fan, I am truly disappointed he did not plump for the Eagles!
    Anonymous -- Thursday October 09 2008, @07:05AM (#312745)
  • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]