posted by davidt on Tuesday October 07 2008, @10:00AM
Kewpie writes:
ju Suis Julie posted a link on "where is he right now?" in the general discussion forum (original post):

Another Day At Disney, A Night At The ‘Phair’ - Pink is the New Blog

Excerpt:

Thankfully, I managed to rally and get better by the time I had to get back to LA to see Liz Phair at The Troubadour last night. It was my first show at the venue and it was awesome. Liz performed her debut album Exile in Guyville in full (like she did in NYC earlier this summer) to a sold-out house … which included Morrissey himself watching from the VIP balcony. Sadly, I couldn’t snap any pics of him but I did get a few of and with Liz...
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • I knew I should have gone to that gig.
    eugenius -- Tuesday October 07 2008, @10:10AM (#312600)
    (User #1665 Info | http://www.cherryplucker.com/)
    I'm almost sure you can do better than that.
  • Liz Phair is amazing, her early music is SO good. Very strong melodies, very lo-fi production, very singular perspective, very insightful and articulate lyrics.

Yes she did go a bit poppy in the last few years but you can still hear that frustration and enthusiasm underneath. I strongly urge any young people here who hate life to listen to them. There are a lot of similarities with early Smiths records...being stuck at home, being oppressed by parents/authority, being lonely, and there's all these strange dark sexual overtones running through it...great great stuff.

If anyone's interested, you can hear her early demos (The Girlysounds tapes recorded in her bedroom)here
    http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=377073901&blogID=439092965
    Skorzeny -- Tuesday October 07 2008, @11:44AM (#312607)
    (User #21331 Info)
  • Liz Phair is one of if not the first female solo rockstar/musicians (truly rock, not pop or anything else) here in the US and she gets nearly no credit for that. That's great to hear Moz is a supporter.

I didn't quite like the more recent Sheryl Crowe phase either. Really sounded like record-company pressure, imho.

Exile in Guyville is such an awesome album. Thanks for sharing the news. Cheers.
    romeogirl -- Wednesday October 08 2008, @11:40PM (#312715)
    (User #2891 Info)
  • some time in miusicbusiness

ashamed to say I never heard a song from her

I'll try and promise ya'll I shall pick something
    out of the her albums in the musicstore
    Celibate Cry <[email protected]> -- Thursday October 09 2008, @12:54AM (#312721)
    (User #220 Info)
    and the hills are alive with celibate cries
  • She's so '90s.....
    Anonymous -- Thursday October 09 2008, @02:48AM (#312732)

[ home | terms of service ]