posted by davidt on Thursday October 02 2008, @04:00AM
Stanley Ogden sends the link:

Morrissey now managed by Irving Azoff; Southpaw Grammar: Album re-issue release date and other information - true-to-you.net
1 October 2008

Morrissey is now managed by Irving Azoff, at 10866 Wilshire blvd, suite 250, Los Angeles CA 90024.

BMG have announced 26 January 2009 as the release date for the re-issued 'Southpaw grammar'.

Full track-listing is :

1 The Boy Racer
2 Do Your Best and Don't Worry
3 Reader Meet Author
4 Honey, You Know Where to Find Me
5 Dagenham Dave
6 Southpaw
7 Best Friend on the Payroll
8 Fantastic Bird
9 The Operation
10 The Teachers are Afraid of the Pupils
11 You Should Have Been Nice to Me
12 Nobody Loves Us

The album also features new sleeve artwork by Anthony Lui, including previously unseen photographs by Linder Sterling. Anthony had also designed the sleeves for 'Ringleader of the Tormentors,' 'Live at Earls Court' and 'Greatest hits' plus the last eleven UK singles. Tracks 4, 8 and 11 of the new 'Southpaw grammar' are previously unreleased.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • I expect in the hours and days following, for people to post here in their droves saying what a shoddy running order this is in, and I don't know whether or not that I agree.

It's an interesting take on the re-issue. Rather than tacking on a couple of extra tracks (possible inclusion of tacky badge) looks like Moz has sought to create a definitive version of an album much of the fanbase thinks is flawed.

I am really looking forward to this!
    Anonymous -- Thursday October 02 2008, @04:30AM (#312346)
  • Strange that 'Teachers' is buried so far into the album when it's such a glorious opening salvo, second only to 'Now My Heart is Full' as my favourite Morrissey album opening track. The only other song I would have chosen as an opener instead is the wonderful 'Nobody Loves Us' but even that isn't as stunning and brilliantly mood-setting as 'Teachers'.

Still, mustn't grumble. Looking forward to hearing the new tracks. Plus, it's good that Morrissey hasn't taken a conservative, preservationist approach to this re-release. Too many artists look back on their earlier work with a kind of museum curator's detachment, instead of seeing it as part of something ongoing and organic.
    Deniston -- Thursday October 02 2008, @04:49AM (#312347)
    (User #21148 Info)
    I just want to keep everyone happy
  • see subject
    Anonymous -- Thursday October 02 2008, @05:26AM (#312348)
  • Give me some proper fucking news!

Every time I come here, the headline story is about some crappy CD re-issue, re-release, re-tarded way of Morrissey to get more money off us.

Anonymous -- Thursday October 02 2008, @05:34AM (#312350)
  • Roy's Keen has been erased from the history books!
    suzanne -- Thursday October 02 2008, @06:12AM (#312351)
    (User #36 Info)
    I scare dead people.
  • this song really should be the last song

the fact that it ends with the reel to reel running out and the hypnotic 6.5 minutes instrumental part of the song are the perfect way to end an album.

it is possible that they might be thinking of putting this on vinyl which would make it the last track of side 1, which at least would make sense.

bored -- Thursday October 02 2008, @07:10AM (#312354)
    (User #8415 Info)
    • Re:southpaw by Peter Marr (Score:1) Friday October 03 2008, @03:12AM
  • Its all about those missing previously unreleased tracks for the die-hard fan. The better B-sides of the period, the beautiful 'Nobody Loves Us' and catchy 'Black-eyed Susan' appeared on 'My Early Burglary (arf!) Years'. Most of us would rather forget Southpaw which even the most loyal fan would concede was an unsuccessful musical experiment. Be honest- how often do any of us listen to this album? Do you ever get to the end before returning to the comfort of Vauxhall, Arsenal, Hate or Quarry?!
    Anonymous -- Thursday October 02 2008, @07:21AM (#312355)
  • for the operation, but oh well
    rooneyred -- Thursday October 02 2008, @09:34AM (#312365)
    (User #17066 Info)
  • Interesting...Azoff is the manager for Guns n' Roses.

Morrissey and Gn'R shared the same former manager, Merck Mercuriadis, before also.
    Astroman -- Thursday October 02 2008, @09:45AM (#312366)
    (User #8735 Info)
  • So you ran back to ma, which set the pace for the rest of your days...Got to be one of the man's best lines ever. Absolute classic!
    15minuteswithyou -- Thursday October 02 2008, @10:14AM (#312368)
    (User #15615 Info)
  • i agree that Teachers still should open the album however i do love The Boy Racer! and nobody loves us is great but i dont think it fits on the album
    MrTheEdge -- Thursday October 02 2008, @10:26AM (#312370)
    (User #18333 Info | http://animalhumans.blogspot.com/)
  • This sounds good. Southpaw is an underrated gem and I'm glad to see this re-release. I agree that "Teachers" should have remained 1st and "Southpaw" should definitely end the album. Oh well. And "You Must Please Remember" would have been an awesome addition, but I already have it on single, so I guess this will do. I will definitely buy this, it's a re-issue with some thought put into it.
    IanCurtis -- Thursday October 02 2008, @11:42AM (#312375)
    (User #5849 Info)
  • I'm not too sure about that track listing but I'm still looking forward it. Perhaps more so than the new album. Southpaw is the Moz album I listen to the most (in the minority I know) & it's got pretty worn out by now.
    I'm thinking that maybe this track listing reflects what Morrissey thinks of the songs, in other words, he doesn't think much of Teachers... or The Operation! Do Your Best & Don't Worry is class.

From a snobs point of view, I'm quite happy You Must Please Remember isn't on there. I love the song but it's nice that it isn't more widely available. Like it's 'our little secret'
    AnthonyGlamour -- Thursday October 02 2008, @01:07PM (#312384)
    (User #7618 Info | http://www.myspace.com/anthonycutt)
  • Wikipedia's summary of the new management bodes well:

- Irving Azoff (born December 12, 1947) is an American personal manager, representing recording artists in the music industry such as: Jewel, The Eagles, Bush, REO Speedwagon, Seal, Journey, Christina Aguilera, Alter Bridge, Van Halen, Neil Diamond, New Kids on the Block, Steely Dan and Guns N' Roses. He is chairman and founder of Azoff Music Management Group, Inc.

Azoff began promoting and booking bands during his college years at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and has worked as an agent, personal manager, concert promoter, movie producer, independent record label owner, merchandiser, music publisher, and CEO of a record company. He moved to Los Angeles with his first big clients, Joe Walsh and Dan Fogelberg. He then joined Geffen Roberts management where he began working with The Eagles. After David Geffen sold Asylum Records to Warner Music, the management company splintered and Azoff left with the Eagles as his own client.

From 1983 to 1989, Azoff headed MCA Records and is credited for saving the company from bankruptcy. Azoff resigned from MCA in 1989 to form his own record label, Giant Records, now defunct.

Frederic Dannen's book, Hitmen, includes a chapter titled "The Troika" about Azoff, David Geffen and Walter Yetnikoff, three rival record executives in the 1980s. According to Thomas R. King's book, The Operator, Geffen manipulated Azoff into leaving MCA and going to Warner Music Group where he started Giant Records. King writes that Geffen wanted Azoff out at MCA to clear the way for MCA to buy Geffen Records. So Geffen convinced Mo Ostin at Warner Music to offer Irving Azoff a "dream" label deal. Giant Records operated for much of the 1990s until Azoff decided to return to concentrating on artist management.

Irving co-produced the movie Fast Times at Ridgemont High and has been named "Manager of the Year" by two touring industry's trade publications.

In January 2008, it is being reported that Azoff is working with former New Kids on the Block alumni Jordan Knight, Joey McIntyre, Jonathan Knight, Danny Wood and Donnie Wahlberg on a 'reunion' album.

On March 27, 2008, Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose announced that Azoff and Andy Gould are now new management for Guns N' Roses. -
    goinghome -- Thursday October 02 2008, @03:07PM (#312396)
    (User #12673 Info)
  • I still say that the reason this album did not do well in the 90's is because the wrong song was picked for the first single and the cover art sucked on the original cd. Oh, and there was little to no promo. If 'Boy Racer' had been issued first or 'The Operation' without the long drum intro (ok to keep it on the album track) then this cd would have done much better in England and the U.S. 'Dave' was the wrong single to issue first.
    thetexasbloke
    Anonymous -- Thursday October 02 2008, @05:22PM (#312403)
  • I think if we all would of heard Southpaw first time round
    with these additional tracks it would of probably been received a lot
    better by fans and would of sold more copies.
    At the time I remember thinking 'just 8 tracks' and was miffed at the exclusion
    of 'nobody' as its a Mozz classic.

After the 7 year hiatus (97-2004) how can we moan about NEW unreleased tracks. I'm looking forward to those as much as Years of Refuge (sorry Refusal)

The new artwork is good. So, looking forward to the 2 songs I haven't heard.
    (I've already got 'honey' on mp3, it doesn't really go with the mood of Southpaw - but its a pleasant tune nonetheless.)

Only down side for me is Southpaw, the Hollywood DVD was on my Christmas list.......

More socks now....

inlovewiththepast -- Friday October 03 2008, @08:02AM (#312435)
    (User #1028 Info)
    truth rest your head there is more than a life at stake here..she may well sell sanctuary but she'll also sell your soul
  • "Anthony had also
    designed the sleeves for 'Ringleader of the Tormentors,' 'Live at Earls
    Court' and 'Greatest hits' plus the last eleven UK singles."

a shit sleeve designer then

although i like the "changesbowie" thing
    drilltime -- Friday October 03 2008, @08:15AM (#312436)
    (User #15269 Info)
  • With Irving Azoff as Morrissey's new manager, look for collaborations between Morrissey, Christina Aguilera and the New Kids on The Block sometime in the near future.
    Anonymous -- Friday October 03 2008, @10:11AM (#312443)
    • Re:Near Future by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday October 05 2008, @11:08PM
  • I have Honey, but has anyone ever heard of the other two? What are they like?
    Anonymous -- Friday October 03 2008, @01:50PM (#312454)
  • I'm truly looking forward to this, as Southpaw was released while I was in uni and barely in touch with the world.

Have dug the cassette out and taking a new listen. It really rocks (can't get "The Operation" out of my head now) and would be cool to hear a lot of the tracks live with whatever new twist the current band lineup infuse it with.

Craig Gannon apparently played a big part in its production (see video/dvd "Jewel in the Crown") and acknowledged the sound might not be conventional but overall felt it was Moz's greatest masterpiece at the time. Hardcore fans of The Lads will appreciate that Alain Whyte co-wrote 6 of the original songs as Boz did for 2 of them. Spencer drummed and Johnny Bridgewood is credited with playing the bass.

And Tony Lui's new artwork with exclusive Linder photos (I really hope it's newly unearthed stuff!) would be much welcome.
    romeogirl -- Saturday October 04 2008, @06:19PM (#312495)
    (User #2891 Info)
  • why do i suspect that the new artwork will be crap? Oh that's right, all Morrissey's artwork for the past god knows how many releases has been crap.
    Anonymous -- Sunday October 05 2008, @02:11PM (#312520)
  • Interesting tracklist changes. I've always really liked that album album and its two b-sides. I'm not convinced that the album will "work" without 'The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils' and 'Southpaw' being the first and last tracks. It'll seem weird to have those two incredibly long songs not acting as bookends for the rest of the album. (And, actually, I wonder what the odds are on them editing those tracks, and 'The Operation' for length.)

Also, it's a shame they've omitted 'You Must Please Remember' from the tracklist, if only for the sake of completion.
    LawrenceM -- Monday October 06 2008, @02:41AM (#312539)
    (User #3228 Info | http://listen.to/orangejuice)
    "I wore my fringe like Roger McGuinn"
  • i havent played Southpaw for a couple years but instead of revisiting it now i am gonna wait till the re-release and see it in a whole new light.
    hmmmm
    Anonymous -- Monday October 06 2008, @03:45AM (#312541)

[ home | terms of service ]