posted by davidt on Wednesday August 20 2008, @12:00PM
mozandeffect writes:
what has Johnny Marr been doing lately? writing for the Cribs. and it appears, at least for the foreseeable future, as a full-fledged member of the band.

Since coming off the road with Modest Mouse in the US, Marr says he’s committing himself to writing the Wakefield trio’s new album.

It was known that they were recording together but both sides have now exclusively confirmed to 6 Music that it’s now a full-time thing.

Marr-Cribs official - BBC 6Music
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Talk about someone who has wasted 22 years of his life!
    Morrissey has done like what, a dozen albums and hundreds of songs in that time?
    Anonymous -- Wednesday August 20 2008, @12:31PM (#310258)
  • yay johnny!
    im looking forward to it.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday August 20 2008, @12:55PM (#310261)
  • Marr is the musical version of a football fan always supporting the winning team of the moment.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday August 20 2008, @01:01PM (#310263)
  • You've never felt like you belong any place, since you left the Smiths,

reform

and play this charming man.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday August 20 2008, @01:09PM (#310265)
  • Can you imagine what the young Johnny would have said if some old legendary guitar player had wanted to join The Smiths?

That's what makes me have no respect for The Cribs. They should have enough confidence in themselves not to want to use Johnny for extra publicity. Bands just don't have that self belief anymore though unfortunately.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday August 20 2008, @01:10PM (#310266)
  • jesus. he's acting like bobert smith whoring himself out to bands.
    palare -- Wednesday August 20 2008, @01:10PM (#310267)
    (User #152 Info | http://worldofabrahan.com/)
    where the world's ugliest boy became what you see...
  • The Cribs suck! they are horrible!
    why Johnny why????
    emmanuela_7 -- Wednesday August 20 2008, @01:55PM (#310269)
    (User #21280 Info)
  • It pains me to hear that Johnny Marr has joined the Cribs. It's a bit like Pele signing up for Bradford Park Avenue reserves. I understand Johnny is a nice chap, and incredibly humble, but The Cribs...I mean...THE CRIBS!! Jesus H Christ. When you look at what Marr, Rourke and Joyce have achieved post The Smiths, it makes you appreciate Mozzer's talents - and hard work - all the more. Viva Moz....

Anonymous -- Wednesday August 20 2008, @01:59PM (#310271)
  • Terrible decision in my opinion. The Cribs are awful, and as someone already pointed out, they shouldn't need to bring someone in, if they thought they were any good they wouldn't feel the need to bring Johnny in.
    Johnny's amazing but he hasn't done anything since The Smiths. I think it shows how much he needed Morrissey.
    Morrissey has carved out a great solo career with loads of excellent material, increasing his fan base along the way. Yet we've still to hear Years Of Refusal. If (I stress IF) its not up to scratch, and not a patch on any of his previous work then perhaps both Morrissey and Johnny should start thinking about getting back together.
    Now I've not been a fan of a Smiths reunion because I don't really think you can go back, it might spoil the legacy, and I love Morrissey's solo material just as much. But Johnny's obviously an excellent guitarist and Morrissey's still got it in my opinion, so maybe the time for them might be right for them to reform (though not necessarily with Rourke or Joyce) if things are getting a bit stale. They could even hit the studio privately to see how things go before announcing a reunion. Imagine another Smiths album, that would be quality!
    Anonymous -- Wednesday August 20 2008, @02:30PM (#310276)
    • Re:Hmm by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday August 20 2008, @05:33PM
      • Re:Hmm by methadone (Score:1) Thursday August 21 2008, @03:30AM
        • Re:Hmm by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday August 21 2008, @05:47AM
        • Re:Besides.... by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday August 21 2008, @08:10AM
          • Re:Besides.... by Boxers71 (Score:1) Thursday August 21 2008, @01:39PM
  • The Cribs don't grab me, although the bass player is quite fit!

What would be Moz & Marr's take on another new band like....say...Foals?
    Anonymous -- Wednesday August 20 2008, @05:17PM (#310290)
    • Re:The Cribs by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday August 21 2008, @01:36AM
      • Re:The Cribs by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday August 21 2008, @09:47AM
  • the crabs?
    Anonymous -- Wednesday August 20 2008, @05:19PM (#310291)
    • Re:who are... by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday August 20 2008, @07:03PM
  • You wouldn't hop from band to band if it was free. I suppose they offered you a sweet deal. Grow up already....And by the way, your guitar playing with Modest Mouse was mediocre.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday August 20 2008, @06:36PM (#310297)
  • Saw the Cribs open for Kaiser Chiefs once in Philly. I thought they blew the Chiefs away that night but the crowd were a bunch of rich teens- KC fans. Can't wait to hear the new stuff.
    organicsamurai <[email protected]> -- Wednesday August 20 2008, @07:31PM (#310302)
    (User #10089 Info)
    . . .and if I ever wanted to cry, then I will because I can.
  • Johnny has wasted the last 22 years?

The man has played the music that he wants to play, raised a family, toured the world, played with appreciated bands, and is free as a bird. He's won. Opinions on his craft may vary, but that's of little consequence.

Johnny's clearly not looking to form a Smiths like act. He's simply playing with who he likes.

All the while the very people who are criticizing him haven't accomplished anything of note. It's called "projecting."

Johnny could have sat on the couch for the rest of his life after The Smiths. He accomplished all he needed to accomplish in pop music.

It's not like we're receiving any degree of quality from Morrissey these days. In pop music, you have a shelf life.

Johnny's just having fun now, and he deserves to after playing the role of Morrissey's mother, and administrative assistant while in The Smiths.

I'm sure the experience reminded him that the music business is a joke, and it's better to leave things open.
    Nick The Name -- Wednesday August 20 2008, @08:35PM (#310304)
    (User #20764 Info)
    • Re:Huh? by LawrenceM (Score:1) Wednesday August 20 2008, @11:07PM
      • Re:Huh? by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday August 21 2008, @03:19AM
    • Re:Huh? by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday August 21 2008, @03:55PM
    • Re:Huh? by Hidden By Rags (Score:1) Thursday August 21 2008, @11:53PM
  • I can't believe some of the rubbish that gets posted on here sometimes!
    Johnny Marr is a legend and is playing music that he enjoys playing, saw him on the last Modest Mouse tour and he was amazing.
    I've got into bands because of Johnny, i'd never heard of Modest Mouse or the Cribs until he started playing with them. Now I love them, and have the back catalogues of both of them.
    I started listening to Billy Bragg, The The and Electronic because of Johnny again all wonderful bands.
    Regarding the Smiths re union do we think Moz and Marr would look a bit odd on the same stage? Johnny's skiny Indie kid (Eat something occasionally Johnny!) and Moz's slighty overweight Lounge singer (Bloody hell that one's gonna get some flack from the obsessives)
    Anyway roll on the new Cribs album.
    Anonymous -- Thursday August 21 2008, @12:43AM (#310315)
  • I think this reflects worse on The Cribs than on Marr, I mean it's like as if The Smith's were to get Eric Clapton in to play on Meat is Murder or something...can the band not play the song's themselves?
    I'm not that familiar with their stuff but why would any band worth it's salt get some old geezer in to play on their record and why would Marr do it?
    Surely he could make his own record???
    He's a great guitar player with great influences and can sing a bit too...

Anonymous -- Thursday August 21 2008, @03:13AM (#310323)
  • Johnny hope you enjoy yourself and have a good time with the lads. Your obiviously couldn't be joining them because of the music. There absolute shite. Saw them support the Pistols in Brixton, I thought they were going to be lynched.
    Why don't you hook up with the Moz again......you know its going to happen eventually. Why not get the cash now....why wait until yourself and Moz are too old. I don't want to see you and Moz in your 60's. We want you now.
    forget the base player and wretched drummer....get on with it
    Anonymous -- Thursday August 21 2008, @08:46AM (#310343)
  • Johnny cant write or sing a song to save his life.
      And His rep as some sort of guitar god has always been totally undeserved. He is a truly average player. The myth of his skill it was really created by the brilliance of John Porters arrangements and layering of his parts in the studio.
    Anonymous -- Thursday August 21 2008, @09:09AM (#310344)
  • This is Johnny and The Cribs, live Feb
    2008,'Panic', you can just about hear his voice
    on the chorus

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7TB3EIZO
    Anonymous -- Thursday August 21 2008, @01:12PM (#310365)
  • HAHa hahaha
    Johnny's become a joke
    but god do i wish he would replace jesse
    Anonymous -- Thursday August 21 2008, @02:11PM (#310372)
  • With this move Marr is quickly becoming the Orson Welles of British music. Orson Welles was a brilliant American filmmaker who made, at the tender age of 24, Citizen Kane, widely considered to be the best film ever made. From there on out, it was downhill: Welles starred in other films, tried to make a few of his own (but usually met with studio interference), and in the end was a bloated shadow of his former self. Marr, while not nearly as tragic as Welles, is beginning to ape the Welles career arc of starting at the top and heading down from there. I mean, who quits the Smiths to be a hired gun for the next two decades? He's a musical genius, and yet he's been in the backseat since 1987. And this move, sadly, sends him further to the musical margins.
    Anonymous -- Thursday August 21 2008, @02:43PM (#310374)
  • So stupid ? They make hits then make stupid
    decisions like that everyday after until they drop or it's too late.
    Anonymous -- Thursday August 21 2008, @04:19PM (#310380)
  • why Johnny gives his music to people who don't deserve it. That's something Morrissey said in an article, a long time ago, and it still rings true today.
    Anonymous -- Thursday August 21 2008, @11:27PM (#310398)
  • more like a fairweather member. Doesn't matter what Johnny does or however many crappy bands he joins, he is a legend and Morrissey's kingmaker!
    marred -- Friday August 22 2008, @03:54AM (#310417)
    (User #16308 Info)
  • A few weeks ago I saw The Cribs live wearing a Smiths T-Shirt, not knowing anything about the above news...
    I can`t wait to hear the new stuff. Of course, it could become a great disappointment, but why the hell not give it a try!?

Go Johnny go ...
    Anonymous -- Monday August 25 2008, @08:06AM (#310575)
  • From a J. Marr blog:

Johnny has just had a busy week, he flew in from Portland on Sunday 17 August, met up with The Cribs and on Monday 18th they played a Steve Lamacq Radio 1 show session. Then Tuesday 19th they played Kings College London, Friday 22nd Leeds Festival and Sunday24th Reading Festival headlining the NME / Radio 1 Stage.

After the Reading show Johnny was quoted as saying "That was a lot of fun. It's been nice playing in the UK again and The Cribs songs really work well as a four piece. The band and fans are very happy and it bodes well for the new record we're writing"

You can see the Reading set at the BBC website at the BBC website

Johnny has also refuted some reports on the net that he has quit Modest Mouse. "That's just silly journalism as usual" he says; "no one asks Alex Turner if his work with The Last Shadow Puppets means that he's quit Arctic Monkey's, but I seem to get it all the time. I've just completed playing and writing on a new Modest Mouse eight song record which is out soon".

Bozzer1 -- Monday August 25 2008, @03:43PM (#310604)
    (User #19426 Info)
    "There's more to life than books you know. But not much more."

[ home | terms of service ]