posted by davidt on Friday August 15 2008, @12:00AM
A follow-up to the previous story "Jerry Finn taken off life support Aug. 9". Link posted in the comments by Mike L.:

Say Prayers for Jerry Finn [message #364505], post by Ross Hogworth - prosoundweb.com forums
Thu, 14 August 2008 18:07

I am out on the end of Cape Cod with no Internet on a daily basis so please excuse me and don't shoot the messenger here

this is the latest from Mike and the family

love and respect
ross

hey everyone,
i have been informed that via the web they are saying jerry has passed away, he has NOT passed away his health is declining and off of life support but he is still with us! i can't even begin to address how i feel about what nonsense is flying around out there. if something is going on you will hear it from me! thank you for keeping jerry in your hearts and prayers. mike
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • It's still worrisome that Jerry Finn's "health is declining," even if he's been taken off of life support, but at least we can hope for his health to improve further, and to receive better news about his condition. You Are The Quarry has given me such wonderful moments. Get Well Soon!
    Miranda_Grey <{mirandagrey} {at} {earthlink.net}> -- Friday August 15 2008, @12:15AM (#309669)
    (User #9935 Info)
  • I hope Jerry's health starts to improve soon. It is disgusting that an idiot would post to Moz solo saying Jerry had died. A totally unforgivable disgrace. Either the person who posted was (1) incapable of doing research before they opened their mouths or (2) evil. Either way they are a twat. This kind of thing is just not on.
    ACTON
    I Am Acton -- Friday August 15 2008, @01:58AM (#309684)
    (User #21327 Info)
  • I TOLD you.
    Anonymous -- Friday August 15 2008, @05:23AM (#309742)
  • I have been following the tragic developments in Jerry Finn’s life as reported on this site and elsewhere.

Whilst a full recovery seems unlikely: There are precedents whereby such a tragedy unfolds in a way that baffles modern medical orthodoxies. And raises serious questions regarding any simplistic analysis of Jerry’s current condition.
    To me, it appears there is no way of knowing if the decision to remove ‘life-support’ technologies is to facilitate a loving and compassionate farewell - or to see if Jerry’s physical body is capable of some recovery such as to support life independently. Despite exhaustive tests which can be indicative of the 'impossibility of recovery': Until the technology is removed, it may be the case that his Doctors simply cannot know with absolute surety.
    His health may decline further - but until and unless he passes away the possibility of some ‘limited recovery’ cannot be entirely extinguished. And the quality of that possible recovery cannot be easily gauged at any stage. Medical Science is a great aide, but it’s not foolproof.

Since this news broke I’ve re-read ‘The Diving Bell and The Butterfly by Jean-Dominique de Bauby. This was also recently made into a critically-acclaimed movie which I have yet to see.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Diving_Bell_and_the_Butterfly

If anyone reading this post wants to kindle hope that ‘miracles’ are possible, then the heart-rending story of this Frenchman could help.
    This ’miracle’ didn’t have a happy ending, but it did raise serious issues around the escalating dilemmas of doctors, family and friends, as to how and when to make such decisions on someone else’s behalf: Not definitively knowing if their loved one is in a ‘twilight of consciousness’ or an entirely ‘vegetative’ state. The ordeals of mis-leading ‘signs of recovery’ can be almost too much to bear.

Having been through this heart-breaking process on more than one occasion myself: I can only wish Jerry, his doctors, family and friends my prayers and best wishes as they live through this tragedy and make those decisions.
    Just because you’ve never met someone doesn’t mean you can’t feel compassion for their fate. It’s sobering to realise that for all our astonishing wealth and technology, we are still faced with unanswerable existential dilemmas such as this.

With sadness I await the release of ’Years of refusal’ which will, inevitably, be imbued with the patina of this terrible event.

Kind regards.

“There is a crack, a crack in everything: That’s how the light gets in…that’s how the light gets in..” Leonard Cohen.

BrummieBoy -- Friday August 15 2008, @06:47AM (#309752)
    (User #11602 Info)
    sig cancelled
  • ...the fucker who runs this website. I mean, does he check anything, ever to make sure it's true before posting it here? What a cock. I bet he doesn't check his testicles for cancer, either.
    Anonymous -- Friday August 15 2008, @08:02AM (#309767)
    • Re:I blame... by not sorry (Score:1) Friday August 15 2008, @08:50AM
    • Re:I blame... by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday August 15 2008, @09:20AM
    • Re:I blame... by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday August 17 2008, @03:29AM
  • it would've been a great help to actually have said in last post that he was off life support but still with us. You can't blame people for inferring that he had passed away based on that last post. So people posting RIP messages was not as some of you said "Disgusting" but just a miscommunication. People don't actually get off on saying RIP. It was this same guy that made that post so if we can erase the last one and listen to this one it's all a lot clearer. I think everyone would rather be posting "Get well" rather than "RIP".
    marred -- Friday August 15 2008, @05:59PM (#309889)
    (User #16308 Info)
  • Aww Wow! A resurrection!
    Nice...:)
    I do not know anything about this man..
    Yet,I am happy to read he is alive..

I hope he is being tended to as needed...
    And I wish him many years to come.
    Second chances do not come around very easily. :)

http://www.naturaltapestries.com/nancyportfolio/flowers/images/Sunflowers%20and%20Iris.jpg/ [naturaltapestries.com]
    Marisela -- Friday August 15 2008, @06:10PM (#309893)
    (User #1865 Info)
  • well. yes, i'm one of those whom to soon make a conclusion, i thought he was on a very bad situation after his life support was pull off, well, thank you for the info, forgive me and hope for the best for Jerry Finn, godspeed! :)
    Peter Marr -- Friday August 15 2008, @09:19PM (#309909)
    (User #17077 Info)
  • I was so sad the last few days, because I thought Jerry was... So, it is such wonderful he is still with his family!!!I send him all my love!Hope he will recover soon!
    Anonymous -- Saturday August 16 2008, @07:54AM (#309959)
  • The First on the Gang To Die!!!
    Anonymous -- Saturday August 16 2008, @01:51PM (#309994)
  • he's still alive. I really liked Crowded House.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday August 19 2008, @01:41AM (#310156)
  • Hope and my very sincere thoughts go to Jerry, his family and friends.
    MILVA -- Tuesday August 19 2008, @12:35PM (#310193)
    (User #12729 Info)
    no previous convictions

[ home | terms of service ]