posted by davidt on Saturday August 02 2008, @12:00PM
Len Brown writes:
From Len Brown, author of Meetings With Morrissey

Yes, my biography/memoir Meetings With Morrissey is on the horizon and should be in all disreputable bookshops within the coming weeks.

I’ve been aware of various comments about me on Morrissey Solo (story) for some weeks but, frankly, I’d hoped my publishers might have predictably jumped to my defence before now with cries of “bravo author”. But, no, not a sausage…instead, it’s left to little old me to respond and at least try to clarify the situation.

In response to Rambo’s comment on Morrissey Solo, to my knowledge I’m not even dead yet. Strangely, many years ago when I confronted David Bret about his unauthorised/unacknowledged sampling of my interviews with Morrissey in his pretentiously-titled 1994 volume Landscapes Of The Mind he defensively replied ‘I thought you were dead’. What a coincidence.

It’s even odder that the press release posted by Mr Rumbelow isn’t actually from the Music Sales/Music Room website. I can't find it there so not sure how he’s got hold of that, or where it’s actually from, but I suppose it does explain what the book’s about. (In truth, it's better than the official press release!)

Thirdly, the flyers at O2 were definitely nowt to do with me and this book. I think someone's confused it with Dickie Henderson's fan-book Meeting Morrissey (a different donkey altogether).

So what’s new and fantastic about this book? (Writer scratches head and waits for tumbleweed to roll in...) If anyone gives a monkey’s…it’s the first biography of Morrissey by someone who’s actually interviewed him several times and stayed in contact with him (off and on) between 1988 and 2006.

Apart from my NME pieces on The Smiths - having first seen them at London’s Venue back in autumn 1983 - my series of journalistic/television encounters with the artist (hence the title) took place at London’s Cadogan Hotel, Wolverhampton, Hook End near Reading, Nottingham Central Television Studios, Waterstone’s Manchester, Bowden Cheshire, Quay Street Manchester and Alexandra Palace London. Plus additional discussions about Wilde’s grave, television, Carry On films and the C4 documentary The Importance Of Being Morrissey.

(NB. I decided not to include my articles for the American magazines Spin and Details. Both were edited in an utterly bizarre way for the US market. Spin added loads of stereotypically English “more tea dear?” asides, while in Details – when Hulmerist came out - they suggested Morrissey was celebrating the Eighteenth century Scottish philosopher Hume rather than his childhood suburb of Manchester. Duh?)

No, the book isn’t authorised. In fact Morrissey’s management (first Merck Mercuriadis, and now David Enthoven at IE) – who received draft copies earlier this year - asked me not to quote from several years of personal correspondence from Morrissey. Naturally I have respected their wishes, even though the requested sections would have been of great interest to fans and could have further revealed his great humour, compassion and ongoing passion for pop music.

(In my opinion ‘authorised’ biographies are only created for people who can’t write – footballers, boxers, minor ‘celebrities’ mainly – and have little real value.)

When I approached Morrissey about my book in early 2006 he was non committal but informed me he would soon be publishing his autobiography, The Thoughts Of Chairman Moz. Quite honestly, I assumed his volume would have appeared long before now, two years down the line. Maybe my tome will merely serve as a stop-gap for M’s devoted fans?

At this point in time, sadly I’ve absolutely no idea what Semi-Sorry himself makes of the book. Perhaps his silence speaks volumes?

But with James Maker’s Autofellatio (?) on the horizon, not to mention Gavin Hopps’ highly-anticipated Pageant Of His Bleeding Heart in the Continuum pipeline, plus other rumoured Morrissey books (by various Brands?), I decided to go ahead and collect together my writings about Morrissey along with previously unpublished interviews, encounters and thoughts.

We can write the reviews now. Those who love Morrissey will love the book but possibly complain it’s too critical in parts. Those who hate Morrissey will hate the book and definitely complain it’s not critical enough in parts. There is no middle ground. But that’s what makes him special and different as a performing, thinking artist. And although I don’t agree with everything Morrissey says or does, I still believe he’s one of the most extraordinary and interesting characters to have emerged in late Twentieth/early Twenty First century pop culture.

That's about the size of it, and to this I give my name. Len Brown, Chipping Sodbury, the arse-end of July 2008.

Ps. I don't support their policy on meat or books, but Meetings With Morrissey will no doubt be cheaper at Tesco's!

PPs. Not holding out much hope for Richard & Judy's Book Club...
---
Stiofán Pádraig also writes:
Cover picture and some advance info on Meetings with Morrissey book
Link to an ad on the Guardian website:

Meetings with Morrissey by Len Brown

This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • My copy of this book is ordered. Sounds interesting, indeed.

Peter
    uncleskinny -- Saturday August 02 2008, @12:05PM (#308919)
    (User #7815 Info)
    And so I drank one, it became four, and when I fell on the floor, I drank more
  • Sounds like it's going to be an interesting book. Hmm.

And, The Thoughts of Chairman Moz?

ahahaha, Moz, I love you so much, with all your ridiculous cheesed out puns and everything. :)

Mao, indeed. (!!!..)
    Anonymous -- Saturday August 02 2008, @12:11PM (#308921)
  • Good luck with the book. I liked your contributions in the DVD release The Queen is dead a classic album under review so I look forward to reading your book.

cossy

cossy -- Saturday August 02 2008, @12:30PM (#308928)
    (User #6724 Info)
  • Seems like a nice bloke.Didn't he stick up for Moz in a British music mag early on in the year? After a close relative of Les's died .After personal meetings with the great man he said Moz was a very kind and understanding man .
    Anonymous -- Saturday August 02 2008, @12:40PM (#308934)
  • Meetings With Morrissey sounds like it will be pretty interesting. It's a pity Len's personal conversations w/Moz were taken out of his manuscript. It would've been a joy to read those tidbits.

I cannot wait to get my hands on Morrissey's autobiography! The Thoughts Of Chairman Moz! Haha, what a great title :)
    C'mon Moz, we're all waiting!!
    xox
    mell -- Saturday August 02 2008, @12:55PM (#308946)
    (User #20022 Info)
  • Sounds like the title of Danny Kelly's article ‘The Further Thoughts of Chairman Mo’ NME June 8th 1985.
    Punky -- Saturday August 02 2008, @02:02PM (#308961)
    (User #14674 Info)
  • It's understandable that Morrissey wouldn't consent to his personal correspondence being included, as charming and insightful as they likely are. Perhaps he's compiling them for his own book.

Is it really 400 pages long? Any previously unreleased photos included? I generally avoid Moz bios, but this looks good.

"There's a publisher in the new year..." :taps foot impatiently:

Anonymous -- Saturday August 02 2008, @04:52PM (#308969)
    • Re:Modest Moz by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday August 02 2008, @06:05PM
      • Re:Modest Moz by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday August 02 2008, @07:07PM
  • Why is everyone taking this so seriously? Even the way Len tells it, this was merely an off-the-cuff quip. Why would someone as notoriously private as Morrissey write an autobiography? As he has said before in various forms, "it's all in the songs".
    Anonymous -- Saturday August 02 2008, @07:13PM (#308978)
  • I don't understand.
    Anonymous -- Saturday August 02 2008, @07:57PM (#308983)
  • I hope it was because the title "The Thoughts of Chairman Moz" is ridiculously self-absorbed, and sounds like something your typical music writer would come up with for the title of a magazine piece.

If not, then it is further evidence that Morrissey is slowly losing what good taste he once had. Senility, perhaps?

Of course, Morrissey was suppossed to write a series of other books that never materialized.

I don't see him as having the endurance for a long work, and editing something of that size from him would be a nightmare. His prose often seems naive, and overwrought; more so like someone trying to project the image of a writer.

They're a dime a dozen in creative writing classes.
    Nick The Name -- Saturday August 02 2008, @08:42PM (#308985)
    (User #20764 Info)
  • Isn't this just a rip-off of the Morrissey: In Conversation book, using a different set of interviews?

Do we really need another Morrissey book, anyway? How many times do we want to read about his homosexuality, the 'racism' thing, his mid-90's peak, the exile in America, the comeback, and the flat greys in between?

Also, I don't like the front cover, and (judging by the original post) I don't like the author's writing style either.

Still, I'm sure the maniac fans will lap it up. "Books won't save them; books aren't Stanley knives..."
    Jealous of Youth -- Sunday August 03 2008, @05:42AM (#308997)
    (User #14655 Info)
    "so many women, my head should be spinning. Ah, but no..."
  • I looove reading about Morrissey. Anything will do! So I am waiting with anticipation for this book to come out, and, but, also with brain-bursting excitement just incase the 'thoughts of chairman Moz' actually ever materialises.. Just imagine! X
    jennystar100 -- Sunday August 03 2008, @12:22PM (#309003)
    (User #19759 Info | http://jennifer.cyki.com/)
    Thank you but no....
  • Good luck with your book Len.
    just a slight error in your posting: I'm Dickie Felton not Dickie "Henderson".
    I've been called far worse things in my time so please don't lose sleep over your mistake Len!
    Yes my book is a different kettle of fish to yours.
    In February this year, and as soon as I became aware of your book,I changed the title of mine to "The Day I Met Morrissey".
    I did this to hopefully avoid any confusion between your book and mine.
    Anyway we are releasing books one year apart(mine is a summer 09 release).
    And yes the flyers at the Hyde Park gig were my doing...
    good luck with your book
    Dickie Felton
    dickie -- Sunday August 03 2008, @01:07PM (#309004)
    (User #10153 Info)
    • wow by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday August 03 2008, @06:39PM
      • Re:wow by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday August 04 2008, @12:58AM
  • Good luck with the book Len. One minor criticism - When you say Morrissey is 'ONE of the most extraordinary and intereting characters' it would have been nicer if you'd been more definitive and said that he is THE most extraordinary and interesting character'. Minor point, but I always think it sounds a bit non-committal the other way round, as though there are other people on your list other than Morrissey. Yamaha
    Anonymous -- Monday August 04 2008, @07:49AM (#309033)
  • My hunch is that there will be some interesting and unusual stories in it that I'd have ever heard of had it not been written- should make for a fun read, no?

There's so much destruction all over the world, and all some people can do is... complain about Len Brown.

Well, not me- sign me up for a copy! ;0)
    Anonymous -- Monday August 04 2008, @01:09PM (#309078)
  • The biographies are getting tiresome. Does it really warrant an entire new book, simply to push a few interview snippets into the public arena. The only genuinely significant biography now will be Morrissey's own. Never one to pull any punches, I'm sure Mozman will deliver the caustic, scathing tome we all cross our fingers for.
    Tearsofbemusal -- Tuesday August 05 2008, @01:27AM (#309102)
    (User #21394 Info)
  • Saw the book in a cheapo West End shop in London today. A few black & white photos. Dear though; £16.99. Did not buy it.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday August 05 2008, @05:07PM (#309134)
  • When will they finally use up to date phtographs, I mean it looks like these old smiths-era pics are regularly recycled!!
    Anonymous -- Wednesday August 06 2008, @12:42PM (#309163)
  • I enjoyed reading this book but I think I learned more about Oscar Wilde than Moz!
    Anonymous -- Friday August 08 2008, @04:28AM (#309261)

[ home | terms of service ]