posted by davidt on Saturday August 02 2008, @12:00PM
An anonymous person writes:
According to www.hmv.com, the release date for Years of Refusal has been put back to 12th January 2009. Seems odd, but that's what it says.

Hopefully they'll be revising the tracklisting so that That's How People Grow Up isn't on there anymore!
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • I also heard that the release was being pushed back, but didn't know an actual date. I was originally told several months, so this seems very likely.
    Anonymous -- Saturday August 02 2008, @12:05PM (#308918)
  • Who needs two Morrissey albums in a row (in 1 year)?
    thanks God!
    Anonymous -- Saturday August 02 2008, @12:08PM (#308920)
  • 1. Jerry Finn's illness has resulted in the delay, perhaps out of respect until he is (hopefully) well enough to appreciate the release.

2. The Smiths Box Set is on its way (please!) and they don't want the two to clash.

3. Word really did reach the Moz camp about the dislike of People Grow Up. If so, good. I must admit I found it astonishing that this, one of his weakest and already released songs, was in contention for the album, especially when:

a) There are at least 15 other, as yet unreleased songs to choose from - that's a whole album plus three b-sides; (Skull, Mama, Paris, Farewell, Black Cloud, Longer I Live, When I Was Young, Looking Forward to Going Back, Not Your Birthday Anymore, Teresa, Action Man, Spoke to Carol, Poor Education etc)

b) "My Dearest Love" is out there and is much better, if he does want an extra song.

By the way, I like all the new songs except Grow Up, which I think is awful, so I'm really hoping it is to be removed indeed.

P.S. Though I like Goodbye Farewell, I think Boz needs to pull his socks up a bit. A lot of Morrissey's worst songs of recent times have come from his pen - Grow Up being one, and, even worse, the absolutely dire Noise Is The Best Revenge. Whatever happpened to the author of Jack The Ripper, Speedway and even Reader Meet Author?
    Anonymous -- Saturday August 02 2008, @12:14PM (#308922)
  • aww no, this is disappointing.
    vicarinatutugal -- Saturday August 02 2008, @12:14PM (#308923)
    (User #14646 Info)
  • Why the delay?

Change of tracklist?
    Record company scheduling/marketing?
    Personal reasons, e.g. Jerry Finn?
    Extra time needed for production purposes?
    Alain Whyte (as rumoured) insisting on playing on his own songs?

Let us speculate!
    Anonymous -- Saturday August 02 2008, @12:18PM (#308924)
  • If this is true, then surely any putative gigs will have to be put back too. We may have to wait. Bummer.
    uncleskinny -- Saturday August 02 2008, @12:18PM (#308925)
    (User #7815 Info)
    And so I drank one, it became four, and when I fell on the floor, I drank more
    • Re:Gigs by vicarinatutugal (Score:1) Saturday August 02 2008, @12:37PM
      • Re:Gigs by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday August 02 2008, @02:56PM
    • Re:Gigs by clearlyovercast (Score:1) Saturday August 02 2008, @12:39PM
    • Re:Gigs by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday August 09 2008, @11:11PM
  • What the hell is wrong with "That's How People Grow Up?" Yeah, yeah, its got that catchy, simplistic, "single" sound to it, but compared with "You have Killed Me" or "I just want to see..." I think it's golden. Seriously, its not that bad of a single, although Paris, All You Need is Me, and especially One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell are admittedly much better.
    acharmingman -- Saturday August 02 2008, @12:38PM (#308932)
    (User #20152 Info)
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more."
    • Re:I grew up by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday August 02 2008, @12:42PM
    • Re:I grew up by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday August 02 2008, @12:56PM
    • That's How People by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday August 02 2008, @01:00PM
    • Re:I grew up by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday August 02 2008, @01:48PM
      • Re:I grew up by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday August 02 2008, @01:53PM
    • song is great by gonzax (Score:1) Sunday August 03 2008, @06:03PM
    • Re:I grew up by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday August 04 2008, @01:00PM
  • Robert Smith?
    Anonymous -- Saturday August 02 2008, @01:19PM (#308952)
  • Just seemed a bit unrealistic, fast and un-Mozlike. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it gets a 2009 release instead.
    2-J -- Saturday August 02 2008, @01:20PM (#308953)
    (User #4798 Info)
  • Look at some of my past posts. I sais this was going to take place!
    thetexasbloke
    Anonymous -- Saturday August 02 2008, @01:46PM (#308957)
  • i mean i dont know what the reasons are . but i think its a smart move. over exposure is the pits. its time for steve to give some sound bites to the right media outlets . get those paper pushers to come up with a decent marketing plan. i mean fer realllz im not even that hip anymore. we alls gets olds. anyway bet the album is gonna be good.

Anonymous -- Saturday August 02 2008, @02:35PM (#308963)
  • it is a big dissapointment but I am still a "new" Morrissey fan and still don't have all of his albums so it gives me more time to buy them untill the release of the new one! but still...... why such a big delay?????
    emmanuela_7 -- Saturday August 02 2008, @03:02PM (#308965)
    (User #21280 Info)
  • Add another year of refusal
    Anonymous Dan -- Saturday August 02 2008, @04:13PM (#308967)
    (User #20895 Info)
    • Re:oh well by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday August 03 2008, @06:34PM
  • ha ha ha ha
    Anonymous -- Saturday August 02 2008, @05:09PM (#308970)
  • Thanks be to F****. I'm skint not a brass penny to my name. At least now there's a small chance I'll be able to afford to buy a new pair of (non-leather) ethical shoes before this album is released.

P.S. Kerrygold? What a f***ing tit. Next thing we'll hear is Johnny Marr is sponsering leather rubber dollies. Pfffttttt! i SUPPOSE NOT EVEN Zaa Zaa is perfect but dont anyone dare tell her!!!!
    MozzerAnt -- Saturday August 02 2008, @05:51PM (#308973)
    (User #13105 Info)
  • Almost every Morrissey album has been pushed back...as this is quite common for the majority of bands.

Movies also get pushed back from their original release date.

This is all about nothing.
    Anonymous -- Saturday August 02 2008, @11:50PM (#308989)
  • I am truly dissapointed,truly truly truly...
    orestes3009 -- Sunday August 03 2008, @01:47AM (#308990)
    (User #21090 Info)
  • Thats my birthday....nice !!
    Anonymous -- Sunday August 03 2008, @02:04AM (#308991)
  • I was really looking forward to this. This is very disappointing news. Although it did seem a bit strange that there was no news on a single pre album release, or any sign of album cover artwork with really only a month now to go before original release date.
    Anonymous -- Sunday August 03 2008, @03:37AM (#308993)
  • Isn't this quite a common occurence anyway?

It was originally due out in a few weeks, and no-one really knew about it apart from the "people" on here - he hasn't done many interviews lately, and those he has done haven't mentioned the album. Not really the actions of the man with an upcoming album to promote. Now that the album has been postponed, we'll all gossip about why, the music press will pick up on it, more column inches, more controversy, more interest.. ultimately, more sales when it finally does come out.
    Plus, he's been on tour for about the last two years, so a break wouldn't be a bad thing for old Mozzer.

Personally, I'm kind of glad... I'm finding myself skipping the Morrissey tracks on my iPod a lot more than usual now. There's only so much Morrissey a person can listen to I suppose. Most of the new songs are alright, but the appeal wears off after a few listens (unlike the recent Guns N' Roses leaks, may I add). Maybe my interest will be renewed when January comes.

And now, while the onslaught begins, I'm off to dig out some Velvet Revolver...
    Jealous of Youth -- Sunday August 03 2008, @05:28AM (#308995)
    (User #14655 Info)
    "so many women, my head should be spinning. Ah, but no..."
  • Haven't you ever thought that maybe, this was all part of a plan anyway?

Bands are famous for doing this kind of stunts.

Propose a release date, then push it back, blah, blah.

I'm still disappointed though.
    Anonymous -- Sunday August 03 2008, @08:17AM (#309002)
    • Re:A plan? by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday August 04 2008, @01:54AM
  • well, if it came out this side of Christmas, it would chart and disappear in the space of a week or two. In January it will go to number one as no one releases stuff in January .... Now you might think this is just me being nasty, but it's true. Morrissey NEEDS this album to be a success. Sadly getting to number = success, even though you only need to seel 4 copies to actually reach the top of the charts these days...I suspect this has something to do with the release push back...It's going to be a donkey of an album anyway, unless he re records it all, with Alain, Gary, Boz and Spencer or Deano.
    Anonymous -- Sunday August 03 2008, @01:31PM (#309005)
  • I was so looking forward to it, especially skull!!! and theres nothing wrong with thats how people grow up, I got it as my ringtone, call me bias but I can listen to any song of moz all day everyday!!!
    all i need is moz -- Sunday August 03 2008, @02:42PM (#309007)
    (User #21330 Info)
  • This is an official site so why dont we wait for official news?! Why especulate so much? To show that you are a huge Moz fan?? Oh Stop it...
    Keep Grow up, remove Mama.

FAR.
    Anonymous -- Sunday August 03 2008, @03:29PM (#309008)
  • Does Moz really hang out w/ Al Pacino? WTF?
    Prob not but just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something
    Anonymous -- Monday August 04 2008, @01:25AM (#309021)
  • more chance of going to number one on the back of 38 sales in January...
    Anonymous -- Monday August 04 2008, @05:32AM (#309027)
  • or they dont think it's going to sell.
    Anonymous -- Monday August 04 2008, @07:09AM (#309028)
  • Morrissey has been constantly touring , trying
    to find a record deal, and when that was done,
    released 2 studio, a greatest hits + 2 new songs,
    and Quarry deluxe

a year of rest, and really make time to choose the best songs, and even try to make them sound better, theres about 20 new songtitels floating
    round this site

plus the Mozfather becomes 50 nest year may,
    an awesome kick ass album around spring 2009
    would be the perfect time, for 50 year of Morrissey and year of refusal

we've been spoiled a bit too much ain't we last
    years?

so give him his break, for what reason it may be
    Celibate Cry <[email protected]> -- Monday August 04 2008, @07:14AM (#309029)
    (User #220 Info)
    and the hills are alive with celibate cries
  • Do you think if Morrissey sang to softer guitars, strings, mandolins etc... and didn't constantly pump out power chord songs, we would probably like the albums alot more, lyrics aside. That's one of the reasons why we all love Vauxhall...and don't find too much appealing about Ringleader...or even Southpaw for many. The music is just so much more suited to his stylistically limited voice/persona on Vauxhall / Arsenal / Smiths etc...

I'm talking mainly about the very recent direction, after Quarry. It doesn't suit him. When we want heavy rock I'm sure we all look elsewhere...(Lard?) I think we go to Morrissey for something gentler and not so kind...

I was really looking forward to this new album. Each one is a new opportunity, though he rarely takes a chance since 2004, aside from some beautiful B-Sides...I want a soft mysterious experimental masterpiece...that's all!

(I loved Sweetie Pie)
    Anonymous -- Monday August 04 2008, @11:02AM (#309051)
  • Quarry came out in May 2004, right? Can't believe it is 4 years ago now....the time has flown! That was such exciting time: London Meltdown, the troops (fans) were being mobilised again...
    Anonymous -- Monday August 04 2008, @02:08PM (#309083)
  • Except for those who have burfdays in January, I must be the only one rubbing her hands in glee over this news. Several times a week, I pass by the old Pomona Fox Theatre, which is undergoing renovations. The marquee says it will be re-opening in January 2009. I've often dreamed about Moz doing a show there. Make the dream real. Please make it real! ;) I think he'd enjoy the venue, with its rich history and grandeur.

http://www.pomonafox.org/history.asp [pomonafox.org]
    Mel Torment -- Monday August 04 2008, @10:24PM (#309097)
    (User #1764 Info)
  • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]