posted by davidt on Thursday June 19 2008, @09:00AM
Mike writes:
Just for the record, I've never, EVER received all Smiths royalties from record sales in the U.K. or worldwide for that matter. Maybe some of the people who visit this site could ask Morrissey through their contacts just WHO receives ALL Smiths royalties now...Mmm?

Mike Joyce
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Excuse my ignorance... but what has brought this statement on?

And one other thing - do me a favour, let's not get partisan on here about this.

Yes, I know we all love Morrissey and The Smith's music.

But, despite experience telling me this is all in vain, let's not turn this into a slagging session for Joyce.

End of the day, it's business - don't let your fandom cloud your judgement and start the cat calling.

Thanks!

Regular visitor to Moz-solo.
    Anonymous -- Thursday June 19 2008, @09:22AM (#305106)
  • [email protected] eh?

I think Mike "Do 'im in" Joyce deserves all the money he gets out of sales. After all, he was the ugly Smith. Re-constructive surgery does not come cheap.
    Mada -- Thursday June 19 2008, @09:28AM (#305107)
    (User #9578 Info)
  • Who likes to work for free? all you Morrissey freaks out there whats wrong with you? not only was Mike part of an iconic band that made up the chemistry of what you all love, he should be paid his dues on the royalties. If Morrissey is such a God as you all think then why is he not being fair? why is he running away from his financial commitments. What kind of fellow is that. Would you all feel the same if he did the same to you. You should think again before you go slagging of someone that only wants what is owed to him. Mr Morrissey is a cheap lying F##k that will step on everyone to get what he wants including his gay lovers. So who are you people to go around chanting your anti Mike chants. I for one applaud Mr Joyce for standing up to him fighting what is rightfully owed instead of bowing down to Morrisseys wishes as you lot do. Any of you been owed money before. Get a life the lot of you give the man the respect he deserves because without him you wouldnt have the sad fanatic lifes that you have now
    Anonymous -- Thursday June 19 2008, @09:42AM (#305110)
  • Mike deserves everything he legally earned. He was an vital fourth of the band. I know a couple people that have worked with him somewhat recently and they all say he's an incredibly generous chap, not out for blood money.
    eugenius -- Thursday June 19 2008, @09:45AM (#305111)
    (User #1665 Info | http://www.cherryplucker.com/)
    I'm almost sure you can do better than that.
  • I'm was bored before I even began.

Peter
    uncleskinny -- Thursday June 19 2008, @09:55AM (#305116)
    (User #7815 Info)
    And so I drank one, it became four, and when I fell on the floor, I drank more
  • I will sleep better tonight.
    Anonymous -- Thursday June 19 2008, @10:13AM (#305117)
  • You're a great drummer and Morrissey such a crazy diva.....and his loyal fans too...they don't deserve you.
    Anonymous -- Thursday June 19 2008, @10:48AM (#305128)
  • oh please … when will this bloke just go away. Why can't he just admit to himself that if it wasn't for Morrissey and Johnny he would have been sentenced to a life of playing sweet sixteen's and homecoming gigs. More likely collecting spare change walking the streets playing his "instrument" with a monkey upon his head or vice versa...
    Then again he may yet.
    Anonymous -- Thursday June 19 2008, @10:51AM (#305131)
  • Mike reads Morrissey Solo. How sad.
    Anonymous -- Thursday June 19 2008, @10:52AM (#305132)
  • Joyce receives all of the Smiths performance royalties for the UK, not all Smiths royalties. There's a subtle difference which he thinks we might miss because he thinks we are all thick.

And the suggestion that only Morrissey gets Smiths royalties is nonsense. Where has a court ever ruled in such a manner? Does Morrissey hold all Warner bosses hostage so that they pay him all the money rather than go through the proper channels?
    Anonymous -- Thursday June 19 2008, @11:09AM (#305137)
  • Keep on being the thorn in Morrissey's side. Lord know's he's a thorn in countless sides himself!

I wish you the best of luck and hope you get some money out of the world's greediest, most self-serving maker of crap music lately!
    Anonymous -- Thursday June 19 2008, @11:21AM (#305142)
  • Did Morrissey buy back the catalog from Warners in the UK?

His new singles say copyright Morrissey
    wonder if The Smiths records will now say this?
    Anonymous -- Thursday June 19 2008, @11:27AM (#305144)
  • The "High Court" to Court, and demand his royalties.

Anonymous -- Thursday June 19 2008, @11:36AM (#305147)
  • Of course it's entertaining to see Mike flooding the site with anonymous messages of support to himself, but what I'm REALLY looking forward to is what will no doubt be a venomous response from La Moz himself - no doubt under some silly assumed name. Will sorrow come in the end?
    Anonymous -- Thursday June 19 2008, @11:41AM (#305150)
  • I haven't received any royalties either.

Thanks,

Suzanne
    suzanne -- Thursday June 19 2008, @11:53AM (#305152)
    (User #36 Info)
    I scare dead people.
    • Re:Dear Mike by MILVA (Score:1) Thursday June 19 2008, @12:26PM
      • Re:Dear Mike by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday June 19 2008, @08:52PM
  • ...if it weren't for Morrissey and Marr.
    Anonymous -- Thursday June 19 2008, @12:02PM (#305155)
  • Mike this isn't the place to vent. If the lack of royalties bother you so much then I suggest going to court, again, or talk to the press. Im not sure what your going to gain by posting on this site. There is nothing we can do. Are you expecting donations from the fans? Or are you trying to gain sympathy and turn the fans against Moz?
    Anonymous -- Thursday June 19 2008, @12:32PM (#305163)
  • I believe this should be posted on www.mikejoyce-solo.com instead.

Anonymous -- Thursday June 19 2008, @12:50PM (#305168)
  • Other than that someone used the name 'Mike', are we really supposed to believe this is the real Mike Joyce posting on here?
    BT Openworld is quite expensive after all.
    AnthonyGlamour -- Thursday June 19 2008, @01:36PM (#305173)
    (User #7618 Info | http://www.myspace.com/anthonycutt)
  • Oh Mike, so much to answer for. Moz and Johnny were The Smiths; not YOU. Go cry somewhere else. You and Mike make me ill.
    Anonymous -- Thursday June 19 2008, @03:47PM (#305192)
  • You signed a contract. You received everything that is legally yours as spelled out in that contract which is signed by you. It is ridiculous that you continue to try and change the terms of that document. Live and learn.
    Anonymous -- Thursday June 19 2008, @04:32PM (#305197)
  • He comes out of his hole every couple of months, blabs some nonsense, and then returns to his hiding place.

Mike,
    If you had any self-respect and dignity you would have posted your opinions eloquently in YOUR OFFICIAL website, instead of writing some laconic message on an unofficial fansite of the one you sue.

It's quite sad really...
    Anonymous -- Thursday June 19 2008, @05:02PM (#305200)
  • Hi Mike,

No one said you got "ALL Smiths royalties", so, maybe you could try not picking and choosing what you'd like to hear and/or read.

You get MOZZER'S share of the UK Smiths royalties, as well as your own. Non?
    Anonymous -- Thursday June 19 2008, @09:06PM (#305208)
  • Gee, I don't like people who try to take Moz's mum's and sister's house away (revealed in great detail on True to You archives). That's being pretty selfish if you ask me.

Well, the stink of it all somehow makes me averse to ever replacing my Smiths cassettes. The songs run through my blood anyway so who needs a piece of plastic? Younger people are ripping music off left and right anyway. So that makes the idea of royalties pretty irrelevant these days.

Next item!
    romeogirl -- Thursday June 19 2008, @10:29PM (#305216)
    (User #2891 Info)
  • Its basically Mr Joyce's statement above or this-

http://true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_051130_01

Take your pick lol!
    Strutting Rooster -- Friday June 20 2008, @05:12AM (#305234)
    (User #15031 Info | http://www.facebook.com/struttingrooster)
    • Wow... by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday June 20 2008, @05:02PM
  • hey mike - i met you & that other sorry soul andy back at a smiths night in nyc 2004.

you actually hooked up with my extremely drunk friend & then we found out moments later that you were married.

sad existence you lead. making money spinning songs from your past. suing ex band mates & groping young drunk girls & getting away with it because you were the drummer of the smiths.

nice.
    moztot06 -- Friday June 20 2008, @07:49AM (#305246)
    (User #15730 Info)
  • I would say that the two men who WROTE the music deserve the royalties, and you should be a man who sticks to his word (via contract). You signed it. You live with it. No takebacks. No do-overs. Quit being such a whinging mess. What a terrible, terrible example you are for the next generation of musicians.
    Anonymous -- Friday June 20 2008, @08:57AM (#305251)
  • Once upon a time there was a band in Manc who many millions came to love.

There were four key members for the most part that made it what it was.

Morrissey will always be Morrissey and for me will also always be the main man in terms of lyrics.

Mr J Marr is in my humble opinion, a guitarist extraordinaire.

Messrs Joyce and Rourke were also part of the Smiths so why feel the need to slag Mike off if he posts a comment about royalties.

Whatever went on between the four of them is not something I can comment on - neither can most others I guess.

I love The Smiths, I love Morrissey, Alain, Gary and Boz are for me another special part of my musical life, but I love Mike Farrel, Soloman, Deano, Matt. They are all important.

My son loves How Soon Is Now as played by Moz and the band in 2007. I do too, but for me, irrespective of how good I think the lads are in Morrissey's band, the Smiths Songs are not the same. I cannot close my eyes and single out Marr's riffs. So what, Boz and the boys are bloody brilliant and would be mad to try to replicate the musical arrangements of The Smiths.

So I guess I write this in the hope that Mike Joyce reads it and knows that I for one think he is great and that he contributed to some of my best memories.

I guess a gazillion folk will comment on this, slag me off, say all sorts of crap etc etc, but so what.

Have a nice day one and all and thank you to everyone who has ever played a part in bringing me the music of The Smiths and Morrissey.

phcbr6 -- Friday June 20 2008, @12:25PM (#305295)
    (User #12311 Info)
  • wuz he a roadie 4 da smiths or sumthin?
    Anonymous -- Friday June 20 2008, @04:51PM (#305329)
  • you live of your Smiths royalties

have a fine house, kids are spoiled rotten

When are you going to bring out your faboulus
    Smiths tapes, rare tracks , yer basement stuff

you say Morrissey hasn't pay you, so whats the
    problem? you can get yer money that way...but...
    yes but Mike...why, because you did recieve some money, as Morrissey said
    He payed you about double including lawyers Morrissey has to hire to deal with yer mindgames

Just stop Mike, go on, as Morrissey did and Johnny did....but yer still like to shout and brag about it, poor rich man
    Celibate Cry <[email protected]> -- Saturday June 21 2008, @12:42AM (#305367)
    (User #220 Info)
    and the hills are alive with celibate cries
  • just fuck off mike. no one cares, you money grabbing snake
    Anonymous -- Saturday June 21 2008, @03:24AM (#305379)
  • ...like the rest of us.
    Kathleen -- Saturday June 21 2008, @06:44PM (#305495)
    (User #17460 Info)
    "No one ever sees me when I cry"

[ home | terms of service ]