posted by davidt on Sunday June 08 2008, @01:30PM
rezzom writes:
Morrissey has charted at a very disappointing 24 in this week's chart.
---
The Official UK Singles Chart
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
(1) | 2 (Morrissey-solo Overload: CommentLimit 50)
  • disapointing? isn't that higher than normal for him?
    Anonymous -- Sunday June 08 2008, @01:32PM (#304498)
  • the great "only available for one week" scheme/scam. The single is already on the Greatest Hits album and most people will wait till the B-sides pop up on file-sharing sites.
    Anonymous -- Sunday June 08 2008, @01:37PM (#304500)
  • Well, I looked over the other "hits" and I only recogonized 3 or 4 of the performers. I bouht doubles of all 3 formats and would have bought 10 if I thought it would help out with the charts.

Does anyone know how many "units" moved?
    Ssalefish Comics -- Sunday June 08 2008, @01:39PM (#304501)
    (User #21213 Info)
  • Bet it would it would have gone top 20 if all formats had been widely available digitally.

Real disgrace that Decca didn't have the formats on legal download sites on this day and age - unless the decision to go physical only was an artistic one (can't imagine why given Moz allowing digital sales previously). Moz let down by the record company here.
    2-J -- Sunday June 08 2008, @01:42PM (#304502)
    (User #4798 Info)
  • "These tears I'm wailing
    I spill not without reason
    Remove them"

I bet those words ring true for Morrissey...I mean, how could he not be upset? He was #15 on the mid-week charts..and in only 4 days he dropped 9 places! This is Morrissey's worst single debut since 1997!
    Viva Hate, OBGYN -- Sunday June 08 2008, @01:43PM (#304503)
    (User #20618 Info)
    Learn to love me...
  • Oh My God! Don't panic, don't panic!

Let's get real. Who cares about the singles chart, it doesn't matter anymore. It did in the 60's and 70's but definitely not now. So who cares? Personally I think its a good song but just because he's never got a number one doesn't mean he's not better than all the other crap on there. The album chart has a bit more respectability and I'm sure we'll see Years of Refusal hit the top spot.

So there is no point getting all upset about a stupid chart position. Let's just enjoy his music and (hopefully) the gigs when they come
    Anonymous -- Sunday June 08 2008, @01:55PM (#304509)
  • with 3000 of each 7" pressed, what do you expect, regards chart position, the cd also was only very ltd, i went to hmv main store in manchester, and zaavi, and they had no formats left, so surely you cant expect a top 10!!!!!
    Anonymous -- Sunday June 08 2008, @01:58PM (#304510)
  • Nevermind illegal downloads, hands up who bought digitally 'All You Need is Me' when it came out as part of the greatest hits package. I know I did and it crept into the top 100 itunes downloads for a few days, a feat I don't think it achieved this week. I've bought my CD single copy online and refuse to pay exorbitant prices for 7" singles that I can't find in my provincial town. Nevermind that you can bearly get a single in a 'record shop' outside the cities. Anyway I was prompted to respond by the word 'disappointing'. '24' is hardly disappointing for a widely available track. If you want disappointing the Cure only got to 48 with there previously unavailable single 'The Only One'. Nae luck Bob, lol. I'm sure the next new track will do much better but I don't think the single as the artifact some of us dearly love has much of a future.
    scotty -- Sunday June 08 2008, @01:59PM (#304511)
    (User #8242 Info)
  • Count von havent yet managed to spell the last thirty of my barrelled names von rickenstein
    dot israel for the israelis. com. sod the communists dot goldstein is spelt like this
    ps england for whichever bugger cares to invade us next
    And they say weve no sense of humour
    At least we dont walk round in black sackcloth all fuckin night and day with just eyes peering out
    Anonymous -- Sunday June 08 2008, @02:06PM (#304512)
  • I'm still waiting for the delivery of my pre-order UK releases here in the USA.
    Jeffrey -- Sunday June 08 2008, @02:10PM (#304513)
    (User #3926 Info)
  • Let's face it. Who gives a stuff about chart positions anyway? The charts are full of shite these days, and have been for the last 18 years or so. (Showing my age now... 33 as it goes). I mean, does your average Morrissey fan actually buy his singles, or as mentioned above, just buy the albums and then download the B-sides from various file sharing sites/programmes. Although I have to say that I think this is the best song I've heard in a long, long time. By anyone! It's just brilliant! I mean who else could come up with the line "I was a small, fat child in a welfare house". It's just pure Morrissey genius! Brilliant!
    binny -- Sunday June 08 2008, @02:25PM (#304517)
    (User #7719 Info)
    There's a right way, there's a wrong way, and there's even a Victorian legal system...
  • A ridiculous con of a malarky idea to muck about with 7-inch multi-format singles - and bowie live covers to boot.

if you're wondering why, steven...

i'll tell you
    Anonymous -- Sunday June 08 2008, @02:36PM (#304520)
  • 1) It's a stupid song- a song like this is not going to get airplay and won't sell much. He's lucky it did as well as it did.

2) This should have been released three or four weeks ago. Then people would have still been a little interested. These days a singer can not wait two or three months after a cd has been issued to turn out a second single. This should have been issued a month after the other single was. It would have done better.

thetexasbloke

Anonymous -- Sunday June 08 2008, @03:02PM (#304525)
  • They've got 2 on that list!
    Anonymous -- Sunday June 08 2008, @04:14PM (#304531)
  • It beats the shit out of Irish Blood and that mother-licker got to No.3 in the UK didn't it?

On that point, First Of The Gang - as a first single in 2004 - WOULD have got to No.1.

Anyway - have to blame radio play for this I think. It's a good single.

• not enough radio play and availability in digital, because I think we'd all agree that this is a much better single than That's How...which placed higher.

I hope it prompts Morrissey to include My Dearest Love on on the new album to get it the exposure it deserves.

king leer -- Sunday June 08 2008, @05:24PM (#304534)
    (User #80 Info)
  • Alain back
    markmustb1 -- Sunday June 08 2008, @07:36PM (#304537)
    (User #13161 Info)
    cos no one ever turns to me to say ...
  • If it wasnt so hard to find copies of the singles to buy maybe it would have gone alot higher.
    ma1979tt -- Sunday June 08 2008, @11:23PM (#304550)
    (User #20400 Info)
    • Re:No stock by Ceiling_Shadow (Score:1) Wednesday June 11 2008, @04:37AM
  • It was a sad day for me as I sprinted around Exeter to avoid a parking ticket trying to buy All You Need Is Me. I returned empty handed. And got soaked by the rain...a lesson of futility and humility. Buying singles has been a secret pleasure linked strongly to my youth, but alas no more. I ordered online and recieved the prize two days later, all formats, listened to in quick succession. And I thought..."Morrissey, I have been a faithful die-hard through the good and lean years...but these tracks are bad. Self indulgent and weak, we deserve better." Here's hoping this is forgettable blip before the new album. Why does this feel strangely familiar...?
    Gregory -- Monday June 09 2008, @02:28AM (#304551)
    (User #16412 Info)
  • Although the song is OK. I don't like the fact that the band now sound American. It's rocky, but not in the way British rock sounds, it's got that horrible US Rawk sound... Morrissey is supposed to be British. I have been a fan from day 1. I still am, but i am losing interest, and don't feel the need any longer to defend hm when i hear others slagging him. I do feel he has lost it a bit.I hope the new album will change my mind, but in all honesty, i don't think it will. I do not want the Smiths back, i just want Morrissey to stand for things he used to stand for. Multi 7" & Cd sets, reissuing songs, and if rumours are true (Southpaw) albums as well, with added unreleased tracks, all this kind of milking money from loyal fans is sickening. He really needs to put his foot down and say NO! And i'm sorry to say, but Jesse is not a patch on Alain for tunes...
    Anonymous -- Monday June 09 2008, @04:28AM (#304553)
  • It's absolute sleeper of a 'tune', good for about 4 or 5 listens.

Surprised it got anywhere near 24 in the charts.

Anonymous -- Monday June 09 2008, @06:20AM (#304559)
  • What does make it slightly odd is that I had been into 4 HMV stores to buy the vinyl issues, to which none of them had it in stock as they said it was "unprofitable" I then went to order it off HMV.com, however was tolk it wasn't in stock, i paid for it the day it came out, however it has only been dispatched today...?
    Home In Sidcup -- Monday June 09 2008, @06:31AM (#304560)
    (User #21245 Info)
    "I can get incredibly erotic about blotting paper"
  • Swear to God
    And if the band your in starts playing different tunes

I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Relive your youth

Fantastic

No for the younguns, swear to God dark side of the moon is something else
    Anonymous -- Monday June 09 2008, @09:57AM (#304566)
  • chart!!!!
    Anonymous -- Monday June 09 2008, @10:37AM (#304574)
  • Obviously the problem was the marketing and distribution. Should have been released when the Greatest Hits came out, and should have been available for digital download. The low charting is no reflection on the quality of the song, as it is as good or better than recent Moz singles.

The song is really a grower, and a big improvement over most of the rubbish on ROTT. Jesse wrote this one? Props to him, probably the best he's done...but still, let's hope Alain has in fact written all the songs for Years of Refusal!
    IanCurtis -- Monday June 09 2008, @10:56AM (#304575)
    (User #5849 Info)
  • ... if he cares about chart position (does he? I'm not sure he does; no one else on the planet seems to any more) then one way to get higher in the charts might be to release a single that's not just watered-down rock'n'roll tub-thumping stomp-sludge. No?
    boredhousewife -- Monday June 09 2008, @11:24AM (#304578)
    (User #13144 Info)
  • Is this really Morrissey not understanding how the charts work? Come on, give the guy some credit for his perverse intellect; I think he wanted to see how high he could get with a retro style record release. He's found a record company who will let him do that, and probably changed his manager over the same creative point.

This is all specualtion, of course, but don't be surprised if he releases 'Years of Refusal' only on vinyl. As the world (of music at least) goes forward, Morrissey remains a reactionary martyr, and I, for one, love him for it. I'm sure he knew he wouldn't chart as high as all that without downloads, so he, or the record co, came up with the 'one week only' offer.

Sometimes I think he messes everyone around just so things don't go according to fans expectations and he can sit there griping about lack of airplay whilst secretly having a chickle about the furore on these noticeboards.

Or have I got you all wrong Moz and that furious intelligence really does mask a lack of knowledge about the industry?
    Mozzersgirl -- Monday June 09 2008, @11:41AM (#304579)
    (User #14229 Info)
    "There's more evil in the charts than in an al-Qaeda suggestion box" - Bill Bailey
  • in the US.
    Having been a long time fan and being from the US it's alway amusing how people get all wound up with whatever his chart position is. While he isnt an underground artist or complete unknown he hardly registers with mainstream music out here. he's just viewed completely differentin America and I would think the rest of the world.
    If you like the music who cares (except Morrissey of course)
    robiskeen -- Monday June 09 2008, @01:36PM (#304585)
    (User #17581 Info)
  • He is dead and gone by now.
    Anonymous -- Monday June 09 2008, @03:06PM (#304590)
  • You mean, there are people who still give a shit about charts?
    Nick The Name -- Monday June 09 2008, @03:26PM (#304593)
    (User #20764 Info)
  • Last Sat HMV Oxford Street London: Cd single SOLD OUT, stacks of 7" left. Very odd.
    Anonymous -- Monday June 09 2008, @03:30PM (#304594)
  • Soon we'll hear about some stray email where Morrissey groans on about how his chart failure is due to some record company conspiracy, and not simply because he writes paint by number tunes that seem to be written around song titles.

Despite Morrissey's oft-employed self-deprecating narcissism, the man doesn't seem capable of owning up to his faults. He has a habit of shifting the blame.

It's likely derived from the ridiculous amount of coddling that he received from his mother, even into adulthood. He's never really had to face anything head on. There's always been a nurse-maid around to indulge his cowardice. It's the source of his legendary flakiness.

We've all known someone like that. I mean, those of us who actually leave the house.

His mother's parenting is a great example of how not to raise a child. Even Morrissey has said that his family used to question his mother's parenting skills.
    Nick The Name -- Monday June 09 2008, @03:47PM (#304596)
    (User #20764 Info)
    • Re:Also... by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday June 09 2008, @04:07PM
    • Re:Also... by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday June 09 2008, @04:43PM
    • Re:Also... by Foster (Score:1) Monday June 09 2008, @06:16PM
    • Re:Also... by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday June 09 2008, @06:20PM
  • Morrissey needs to get back to where he once belonged! England! He has lost touch, what with swanning about in LA and Rome etc....
    The band need to be sacked, except Boz. Get Alain back, or even find some new ENGLISH people to work with. And Certainly NOT session musos!
    Take a year to write and record a new album that will knock everyone's socks off! (no touring, just work on new stuff). And it doesn't have to be loud and fast power chord (US sounding Rawk shite) music to do that! I want my Morrissey back! The Morrissey that once saved my life. It's still possible, but if the new album is a dud, which i am suspecting it will be... That will be it, i've wasted enough time and money on Morrissey stuff that's been way below par. This is the last chance, or we part company....
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 10 2008, @02:05AM (#304621)
  • i hope the new album is filled with rock songs with even more muscle than 'all you need is me.' i think morrissey is at his best when he rocks out, and his current band certainly can do that.

the reissue of southpaw (my favorite moz record) this summer also hints at a heavier sound for the new album. hopefully we'll hear songs from southpaw on tour again soon.

Imagine what the current band could do live with a song like 'boy racer'.

PS -- my 'all you need is me' vinyl singles arrived today and they are very nicely done. heavy vinyl, quality packaging, including heavy printed inner sleeves. very nice item for the money.
    ANOTHER GUEST -- Tuesday June 10 2008, @05:06AM (#304631)
    (User #19541 Info)
    • Re:rock by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday June 10 2008, @05:24AM
    • Re:rock by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday June 10 2008, @09:21AM
      • Re:rock by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday June 10 2008, @11:58AM
      • Re:rock by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday June 10 2008, @02:29PM
        • Re:rock by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday June 11 2008, @11:17AM
          • Re:rock by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday June 12 2008, @12:31PM
      • are you for real? by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday June 11 2008, @10:24AM
  • The REAL fans are losing faith, just look back at the posts on solo for a reason why. Go to concerts and, more and more, all you'll hear is a bunch of teenage girls screaming because they fancy him (oh, and older ofcourse). The audience has changed, for the worse.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 10 2008, @05:17AM (#304633)
  • As much as I love Morrissey should we not refer our measly bodies back to "Paint A Vulgar Picture" - this is coming to mind very strongly when thinking of all these albums - "Greatest Hits" a re-issued "Southpaw" etc -

"Re-issue! Re-package! Re-package!
    Re-evaluate the songs...
    Double-pack with a photograph,
    Extra Track (and a tacky badge)...

Best of! Most of,
    Satiate the need
    Slip them into different sleeves...
    Buy both, and feel deceived!"

Does anyone else think this?
    Home In Sidcup -- Tuesday June 10 2008, @05:25AM (#304638)
    (User #21245 Info)
    "I can get incredibly erotic about blotting paper"
  • Organic cotton shirts... I spotted them on an add on the top of this page. That's the real top. Organic shirts, anyone?

It's just because I'm actually more interested in organic cotton t-shirts than orgasmic pop chart positions... not so natural, if you look at them - yes, because in that chart, whoever is on top should have been on the bottom and whoever is on the bottom should have been on the top.

Organic t-shirts are very commercial too, I admit - but at least they stay always, you know... where they should be... or where YOU want them to be ;]
    Mrs. Woolf -- Tuesday June 10 2008, @06:26AM (#304644)
    (User #14157 Info)
  • Is it any wonder that M's charted so low when this site enables people to download for free most of his catalogue especially recent work?

And then people moan about chart positions!
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 10 2008, @08:59AM (#304653)
  • all you need is a dreary dirge with half-baked playing, appalling lyrics and the feel of a Butlins redcoat covering some dreadful rockabilly act from the early 80s.

The only thing worse than hearing the song is watching the ageing band of mediocre musos actually playing the thing live.

3/10.

Apart from the sing-song hooks, it has nothing, contributes nothing... is nothing.

the broken one
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 10 2008, @11:18AM (#304663)
  • Your Honour, may I present you with the internet page herewith, a large portion of which containeth palpably odious proofs of malice aforethought, as incontestable rationale for the Defendant’s statement in a submission entitled, m’lud, ‘All You Need Is Me’.

‘I wanna go home
    I don’t want to stay, na-na-na-na-na-na-yehay’
    goinghome -- Tuesday June 10 2008, @02:15PM (#304670)
    (User #12673 Info)
  • Will the disappointing chart placement mean that Jesse be removed of his "singles" duty?
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 10 2008, @03:42PM (#304674)
    • Re:Jesse by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday June 11 2008, @11:21AM
      • Re:Jesse by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday June 11 2008, @03:02PM
        • Re:Jesse by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday June 12 2008, @08:48AM
      • Re:Jesse by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday June 12 2008, @08:48PM
  • The only reason it is such a low entry is because its just not a very good song !!! Thats how people grow up was not much better I am afraid .

I know Morrissey is unlikley to branch out into diverse musical directions but this really is Morrissey by numbers. How a grown man can still carp on about his school years( children in pieces) is beyond me I have never said this before but please Morrissey get over it!!

The one gem in this pile of substandard songwriting is My dearest love but already the singles have been stored away probably never to be played again.

Maybe a lonstanding obsessive fan of twenty four
    years has finally grown up! I hope not.

I doubt Morrissey even cares anymore.
    swallowneck -- Wednesday June 11 2008, @12:47AM (#304696)
    (User #16008 Info)
  • when, to me, Jesse appears lacking in melody, song structure, variety and imagination? The four singles from ROTT failed to excite, and didn't seem to bring out the best in the lyricist. ROTT was effectively an album in two uneven halves (ignoring Mikey's effort, but even that stood out more than the Tobias mush). 'Life is a Pigsty', anyone? Other posters here now seem to be lamenting Alain's demotion, and I fully agree. What does irk a bit is how, when Alain first dropped out of view in '04, many were of the 'good riddance' mindset whereas in fact, on any objective overview of Alain's stuff from '92 onwards, there has been a clear and progressive upward curve in terms of quality. Minus the vocals, his body of work has become of a very high standard, and I dislike comments to the effect that he had been around for too long etc etc- I rather feel a degree of loyalty to a man who has been part of the fabric for that length of time. It's the same with Boz- the three of them had, over time, become a band in all but name. Too many people are too quick to look for another Johnny Marr, and Alain has (wrongly, in my opinion) suffered by comparison- although, to digress, I found 'Boomslang' unlistenable, and crushingly ordinary, so wherein lies the true talent?

Whatever led to Alain's demotion to writing album fillers and hidden B-sides (along with his disappearance from the live scene) I am not sure, but for the love of God if we are stuck with Jesse as a singles headliner then I really fear for the quality of future output.

As for the replacement of CD releases with vinyl, I shrug and sigh. As an avid collector, I look for and treasure releases in varied formats, and the 7 inches have already been sealed, catalogued and stored- but I can't play them!
    Craigie Fraser -- Wednesday June 11 2008, @03:13AM (#304699)
    (User #9633 Info)
  • It's a pretty lame song, so I'm not surprised by the relatively low showing. However, #24 aint bad at all.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday June 11 2008, @03:32AM (#304700)
  • I won't buy vinyl as I don't have a record player.

If Moz had released 3 cd singles he would have been Top 5 at least.
    Strutting Rooster -- Wednesday June 11 2008, @05:17AM (#304706)
    (User #15031 Info | http://www.facebook.com/struttingrooster)
  • Most of the posts here are pretty negative, BUT i have to say i am in part agreement with most of them.
    The A side is not by any means a terrible song, it's just a bit, well not brilliant, If it had been a B side i think we'd have all quite liked it...but an A side, it is a bit plonky i guess... However let's look for the positive...Children in peices is very good. Yes it's a bit rocky, but it's interesting tunewise, and the lyrics are excellent... Drive In Saturday is a very, very good live recording, very powerful and Moz makes it his own by buggering around with the words (I bet Bowie doesn't like it!). And then My Dearest Love, which is truely brilliant (Nice one Alain!) Lovely use of keyboards, and a soring tune. Again, it's still quite rocky, but it works.I do hope the new LP has more of Alain on. I don't hate Jesse, but he does irritate me, and he isn't a great tune writer. There's nothing wrong with 'rocking out' but the more mellow Morrissey seems to have a better flow...Anyway, this isn't a bad single if you take all tracks). 24 chart posistion...not great, Decca won't be happy, but as it's been pointed out, failure to download B sides, vinyl which a heck of a lot of chart return shops won't sell etc etc...it's not a big supprise.
    Nat Coutty -- Wednesday June 11 2008, @10:01AM (#304717)
    (User #20629 Info)
  • Dude, I dig the song. It rocks. But the cover is, like, gross. I'm kinda sure that's why people didn't buy it.

theushillbillybloke
    Anonymous -- Wednesday June 11 2008, @12:15PM (#304724)
  • After all the insults on here
    Play "Dark Side of the Moon" from
    "Money" onwards and it's one of those albums that changes your life.

I swear to God...5 onward to the end.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday June 11 2008, @02:56PM (#304728)
  • As one of many Morrissey fans who spent the 90's vainly trying to convince non-believers that much of Morrissey's solo work was equal to - and in some cases even better than - his work with his former band, I feel let down anyway by this year's cynically compiled, 'greatest hits (of the last 4 years)' collection. 'All You Need is Me' is better than 'That's How People Grow Up', but then so are at least 2 songs by Phil Collins (all right, i'm exaggerating), but that's about as generous as i feel inclined to be about it. Let's not forget that wondrous moments such as 'Sing your Life,' 'Certain People I Know' and 'Hold on to your Friends' got nowhere near no. 24, way back when a decent melody actually mattered to Moz on a regular basis. I really hope 'Years of Refusal' marks Morrissey's return to making simply great songs instead of more sulking about chart placings and lack of airplay (knowing moz, the title probably refers to those who have refused him, not the other way round). Then again, he's always at his best when he thinks the world's against him - so hopefully no. 24 is low enough in that respect!
    farmboy -- Wednesday June 11 2008, @03:56PM (#304741)
    (User #14864 Info)
  • I went to see TsuShiMaMiRe last night. Now THERE'S a band who know what they're doing.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday June 11 2008, @03:58PM (#304743)
(1) | 2 (Morrissey-solo Overload: CommentLimit 50)

[ home | terms of service ]