posted by davidt on Monday June 02 2008, @09:00AM
Gypo Nolan writes:
From Dresden Doll, Amanda Palmer's blog:

"this was the night morrissey came to the show.

please understand.
i worshipped at the altar of the smiths and the songwriting of The Moz for a long time.
second only to robert smith.

i knew he was there. my tour manager shook his hand. i missed him.

i was nervous.
not in the usual nervous way.
i don't get nervous like that anymore.
it was more.....
i hit stage and couldn't stop judging myself.
i just kept listening to my lyrics ricocheting around in my own head and my terrible judgement setting in ("amateur. stupid. trite. dumb. why did you write this shit?")
i was only happy during mrs. o ("ok. this isn't trite") and astronaut ("ok. this is also good"). what a mindfuck.
i feel like i wouldn't be so judgemental if robert smith showed up.
but morrissey has been so vocal about his total hatred of certain things. i totally pictured him leaving the venue four songs in with a thought bubble above his head reading "talentless twats. waste of my evening."

brian picked up on my nervousness and to top it all off the place was air-conditioned to shit (cold = bad gig) so LA was ok. but not great. morrissey left right before the end of the show.
i am sort of glad i didn't meet him.
i had the chance to, about two years ago, at a german festival. i declined. i was just too afraid he would be a dick and then the music would be marred (no pun intended).

i hate that about music. when the magic is ruined. its only happened to me once or twice, but it's devastating.
if you love music, and then you meet the source, and the source disappoints you, you can never hear those songs the same way again. i've tried to avoid that now. on purpose.
some music is just too good."
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • "Second only to Robert Smith"?

Dearie me...
    Maradona -- Monday June 02 2008, @09:13AM (#304127)
    (User #13537 Info)
  • i work in the concert industry as a promoter and have met many of my heroes over the years. it's often a let down. they've got other things on their minds, so you try not to expect too much, but once an impression is made it's hard to hear the music the same. i skip the meet and greets now mostly. though i had to meet David Byrne. he was polite and didn't say much, which was fine!
    Anonymous -- Monday June 02 2008, @09:21AM (#304129)
  • I like the Dresden Dolls - they're smart, fun, and have great style.

It seems that Amanda Palmer's fear of Morrissey ruined her entire evening. I can understand how she felt - if Morrissey turned up at one of my gigs, I would totally freak out.

I had to smile when she said that she would not have felt so nervous had Robert Smith shown up. The continued rivalry between the two, even in the hearts of their fans, is kind of touching.
    Anaesthesine -- Monday June 02 2008, @10:04AM (#304138)
    (User #14203 Info)
    If Moz did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.
  • Dresden Dolls opening for Morrissey would be pretty cool.
    fut -- Monday June 02 2008, @10:37AM (#304143)
    (User #401 Info | http://www.omgmyblog.com/)
  • that the person u really admire for years through music n wisdom cam change a whole lot of things only within seconds of meeting them..like u better make sure its in a good mood or try n not get ur hopes up too much cuz it could really be a bad one and all the glory can go straight down the hole....im not trying to dis anyone but giving up on a one on one can be considerd
    Stoney the Pony -- Monday June 02 2008, @10:46AM (#304148)
    (User #20041 Info)
    "I know what will make you smile tonight"
  • How terrible for her to have to feel that way when one of her musical heroes shows up at a gig. I feel for her. I don't know anything about the Dresden Dolls' music, but I hope that ultimately she can use this as a chance to challenge herself and subsequently renew her confidence in her abilities.

++++++
    Anonymous -- Monday June 02 2008, @10:48AM (#304149)
  • I have met him and he was better looking in the flesh...good humoured and he just went up in my estimation, not down.
    Anonymous -- Monday June 02 2008, @11:07AM (#304155)
  • I love what she wrote in her blog and how she wrote it. :)
    Franissey (Fran)
  • I feel for you. Be Cool. Love (but then, I'm nobody pfffttt...)
    Anonymous -- Monday June 02 2008, @11:23AM (#304159)
  • ..to ruin the music. Pretty terrible I would have thought.

Or could it be that some people are so judgemental that if their hero differs even a tiny bit from their perfect image, then they immediately call them a "fake" or a "disappointment".

Treat your heroes like real, living breathing human beings. Give them a break. They deserve that courtesy.
    Anonymous -- Monday June 02 2008, @01:42PM (#304181)
  • it's so human..but morrissey is not a god, he's just a mortal human being like us, well, in a particular way
    Peter Marr -- Monday June 02 2008, @11:02PM (#304215)
    (User #17077 Info)
  • Awww I would also have gone blank....The Smiths/Morrissey showing up for one of my events!? Wow nice, Yet the only reason he has gone to see you is surely because The Dresden dolls are amasing!...I'd love to see you open for Morrissey...
    I love The Dresden dolls and - hope you shined. As you always have....=)
    I wonder and hope Mr Morrissey was able to enjoy your show...
    Drats! I really wanted to go....=/
    I'm sitting in my car and
    Wow!, California is so gloomy today...........
    Ilm going in now to listen to The D dolls...
    Marisela -- Tuesday June 03 2008, @09:28AM (#304240)
    (User #1865 Info)
  • I don't think she should have been so nervous.

The Dresden Dolls are one of the most original and talented acts that exist today. I don't have any doubt Morrissey would have thought them brilliant.

I mean, he liked Kristeen Young so much. And they are sort of in the same bracket of music, in a strange way. And the Dolls' lyrics are truly brilliant, too. I can't imagine that Morrissey would have loved them.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 03 2008, @09:42AM (#304242)
  • that Morrissey makes her so nervous,
    but then I think I'd go to pieces if I actually
    met him,
    so I just don't know.........
    mauve21 -- Tuesday June 03 2008, @08:52PM (#304272)
    (User #13027 Info)
  • It it ever happens again that Morrissey shows up. Be brave and Just say hello or acknowledge him somehow. Nobody dies of Gut Wrenching Disappointment.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 03 2008, @10:37PM (#304275)
  • Kristeen Young has been unfavourably compared to this lot some time ago. Personally, I think Kristeen has better songs but the Dresden Dolls are better known. Shame about the Robert Smith infatuation, though. The Cure are just so unfathomably tedious.
    Ramon -- Wednesday June 04 2008, @07:33AM (#304304)
    (User #2577 Info)
    "I'm all over you...like a vulture, like impending death"
  • Second only to Robert Smith...... :sigh:
    dallow_bg <[email protected]> -- Thursday June 05 2008, @08:36AM (#304364)
    (User #10559 Info | http://www.dolefulorange.com/)
    "All the people I like are those that are dead."
  • morrissey fans are so weird
    Anonymous -- Thursday June 05 2008, @08:17PM (#304398)
  • OMG Amanda sorry for trying my hardest to jump on you..>.> i needed to restrain myself
    anyways i agree completely with you RObert #1 Morrissey #2

im sorry you guys but lyrically, talent wise Robert Smith is up there on top
    im not saying that morrissey's lyrics aren't good but i just relate with robert more
    robert came to me first then after having an unhealthy obsession with the guy i needed "I Love You but You Don't Love Me" type music haha!
    then i had an unhealthy obsession with Moz
    so there both up there for me!

so amadna i feel your fears and your unassuredness if that's a word i don't care i make up my own words!
    that concert was the best!

P.S. THE CURE IS WAYYYYYY!!! BETTER THAN MORRISSEY IN CONCERT!
    4 ENCORES AND 3+ HOURS OF PLAYING !!!
    LETS FUCKING SEE MORRISSEY DO THAT!
    Mozzy_Girl -- Sunday June 08 2008, @12:37AM (#304480)
    (User #15480 Info)

[ home | terms of service ]