posted by davidt on Friday March 14 2008, @01:00PM
Link posted by Jukebox Jury posted in the forums (original post):

Holding Court with Morrissey - MEN

MANC icon Morrissey has annointed the city's new rock 'n' roll legends-in-the-making, The Courteeners.

Smiths legend Moz turned up at the Middleton band's Camden Barfly gig at the weekend - and then headed to their dressing room afterwards to heap praise on the lads.

My mole tells me: "Morrissey stayed for the whole of the gig then went backstage to chat with the band, and to tell them how fantastic he thought they were."

And it's definitely a mutual love affair. The band even name-checked Morrissey in their single, What Took You So Long.

Meanwhile, I hear the band are planning to head home for a spectacular launch of their eagerly-awaited debut album, St Jude.

They'll perform a free midnight gig at HMV on Market Street on Sunday, April 6 and then remain in store to meet fans and sign copies of the album.

---
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • They must be in awe to have a figure like Moz show appreciaiton.
    Anonymous -- Friday March 14 2008, @01:13PM (#298419)
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klR-9fHRnww&feature =related

Not bad, but nothing special. Sound too much like so many other bands around these days.
    dbowie -- Friday March 14 2008, @01:24PM (#298420)
    (User #16745 Info)
    I am human and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does.
  • "My mole tells me"

Got to laugh at that - it was on here a few days ago.

Journos, full of it! (Used to be one... sorry)
    Anonymous -- Friday March 14 2008, @03:50PM (#298438)
  • morrissey is sexy more that they

great song - What Took You So Long
    Anonymous -- Friday March 14 2008, @05:51PM (#298448)
  • thats why hes there giving praise- if yure half way decent and you blow smoke up Morrissey's ass, he'll hav something nice to say and will maybe join you fora photo op (stupid looking picture). still, isuppose it's a nice little shot in the arm form- any press is good press, even phony press.
    chrisarclark <[email protected]> -- Friday March 14 2008, @06:11PM (#298450)
    (User #9259 Info)
    "I'm just passing through here on my way to somewhere civilized and maybe I'll even arrive, maybe I'll even arrive..."
  • Morrissey proves once again that his taste is circling the drain.

I have nothing against this band. I'm simply not interested. At least they're out there doing something. However, there have been many bands past and present that have deserved much greater praise.

I could never imagine Morrissey ever giving praise to an artist like Jeff Buckley because great artists like that cut into his demographic.

It's the typical, insecure English mentality. He knows a band like this would never be a threat to him, so why not? It gets his name in the papers, and it makes him seem relevant.

Nick The Name -- Friday March 14 2008, @06:29PM (#298451)
    (User #20764 Info)
  • This band are nothing special and are quite boring in my opinion. I saw them at a small show they did in Manchester a few months back and was not impressed.

Agent Provocateur -- Saturday March 15 2008, @05:07AM (#298467)
    (User #10171 Info)
    "Kiss him? Of course I didn't kiss him, he's ugly!"
  • why do people even bother forming bands anymore
    9 x Fined -- Saturday March 15 2008, @05:20AM (#298468)
    (User #18826 Info)
  • Some fans Courteeners likes Morrissey .
    Any fans Morrissey do not like Courteeners .
    Anonymous -- Saturday March 15 2008, @10:15AM (#298475)
  • to say he likes mozz/the smiths, the singer looks cheesed off!
    Anonymous -- Saturday March 15 2008, @10:32AM (#298476)
  • I'd imagine having Morrissey walk into your dressing room must be pretty mindblowing. Have to disagree with whoever wrote the last 2 comments,I've been a Morrissey fan for a long time and this band's new single sounds pretty good to me. Which kind of defeats your rather thin argument.
    Anonymous -- Saturday March 15 2008, @11:19AM (#298477)
  • He was always talking about how much he hates mediocrity and now this. Possible the most mediocre band I've heard in my entire life.
    Anonymous -- Saturday March 15 2008, @11:37AM (#298478)
    • Re:Hahah by playboys (Score:1) Saturday March 15 2008, @01:47PM
  • They are a shit band. But anyone Morrissey pals up with, (often those tipped as the next/new Smiths) generally fail after a few minor hits. Even the ones who make it, don't last too long..Gene, Suede etc...
    Anonymous -- Sunday March 16 2008, @03:55AM (#298505)
  • heard the courteeners new single 'not nineteen forever', a few times now, and its a top song, i can see totally why mozz would be into this band, something to say, great tunes, and about time a new manchester band. people on this site, you dont own mozz, you didnt put him where he is now, the smiths did and the smiths fans, mozz is unique, without doubt one of the very few great lyric writers of our time, he is still at the top of his peak ater 25 years, while many other so called great bands/singers have come and well and truely gone, so enjoy his work, and if you dont, look elsewhere, mozz is more in touch with music than the so-very-lo site users, the courteeners are about to strike big, and good luck to them.
    Anonymous -- Sunday March 16 2008, @08:20AM (#298511)
  • Have a pint for us across the pond! Cheers!
    romeogirl -- Sunday March 16 2008, @11:00PM (#298539)
    (User #2891 Info)
  • Please don't tell me there replacing Girl in a Coma.. because that was his best act by far..
    -Racheal Paris France
    Anonymous -- Monday March 17 2008, @02:25AM (#298540)
  • Morrissey likes The Courteeners because they are head and shoulders above the mediocrity we accept for music nowadays!
    Liam's lyrics are really witty and the music the band play is pretty cool.
    I've seen them play live a couple of times already and their set is fantastic.
    I am going to see them again on 14th April at Leeds Met.
    I recommend you check them out, you will not be disappointed.

"Just because I use salty phrases and I go through stages where I neglect endeavour, does this mean that I'm not clever? No, I don't think so"
    Anonymous -- Monday March 17 2008, @05:51AM (#298548)
  • He's too distinguished looking for that "psuedo tough guy" look.
    Anonymous -- Monday March 17 2008, @08:21AM (#298557)
    • Average by Jesus Christ (Score:1) Monday March 17 2008, @08:50AM
  • well, i wonder if Moz and My Bloody Valentine in a back stage, they praising each other, and in a one photograph shot of them, and moz ask kevin shields to contribute his swirling guitar maestro..tremolo and reversed reverb sounds with a poet of Moz

thats better in my silly perspective, pardon me, a bit off topic
    Peter Marr -- Tuesday March 18 2008, @02:50AM (#298580)
    (User #17077 Info)

[ home | terms of service ]