posted by davidt on Monday March 10 2008, @11:00AM
Mad Mickey writes:
I was down the Camden Barfly on Friday night and Moz showed up about 15 minutes before the band I'd gone to see - The Courteeners - came on stage. He stayed for the whole gig and was really getting into it.

I saw one of the band at the bar afterwards and they said Moz had come down to the dressing room and he had told them that he thought they were great.

Like Moz, The Courteeners are from Manchester and are set to be massive this year. Have a listen here www.myspace.com/thecourteeners
---
Torr writes:
The Courteeners are from Manchester and they have a song which mentions Morrissey.

Morrissey goes gigging with The Courteeners – Daily Ligger - NME.com

Morrissey went to check out The Courteeners at the Camden Barfly on Friday night (March 7), and held court with the band after their show. Apparently he had travelled to London especially to see them and loved the show.
---
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • The Courteeners are shite
    Anonymous -- Monday March 10 2008, @11:27AM (#298139)
  • I have to agree. They sound awful and their image is so dull and so similar to every other indie act.

I was hoping to hear to something decent...oh well
    Anonymous -- Monday March 10 2008, @01:02PM (#298149)
  • courteeners are quality, top tunes n lyrics, they're a great live band, and have excellent support in manchester, which is growing as they get airplay. debut album is out 1st week in april, with there biggest venue uk tour so far, check them out on myspace and ignore the blinkered negative remarks on this so called mozz fan site, seems like most hate him also on here.
    Anonymous -- Monday March 10 2008, @01:21PM (#298150)
    • Re:top band by jennystar100 (Score:1) Monday March 10 2008, @02:27PM
    • Re:top band by piccadillyplayboy (Score:1) Monday March 10 2008, @06:14PM
  • saw the courteeners last year in blackburn and was impressed, i can see why morrissey would like them, a fresh new band from manc with something to say, although liam fray(lead singer) is a little cocky.
    cant wait for their album
    mozsupportsrovers -- Monday March 10 2008, @01:42PM (#298152)
    (User #18054 Info)
  • Sort of typical unoriginal cookie cutter indie that I absolutely hate. Doesn't bother me Moz liking it though, I doubt we share anything in common musically.
    Anonymous -- Monday March 10 2008, @02:39PM (#298157)
  • Thanks for the Info.. And Yeah I like them:)
    Marisela -- Monday March 10 2008, @08:01PM (#298178)
    (User #1865 Info)
  • It's cool that Moz likes going to gigs and all but this band really sucks! Their songs are just ordinary crap.
    Anonymous -- Monday March 10 2008, @08:48PM (#298184)
  • what's the new song of this band, which mentions
    Morrissey?
    Celibate Cry <[email protected]> -- Tuesday March 11 2008, @12:32AM (#298189)
    (User #220 Info)
    and the hills are alive with celibate cries
  • I like the more accoustic tracks on Myspace..... but otherwise it is just the same old stuff..... I am glad my youth took place in the 80's!
    Anonymous -- Tuesday March 11 2008, @01:01AM (#298194)
  • Courteeeners are bloody brilliant - seen them loads of times and they just get better and better!
    Anonymous -- Tuesday March 11 2008, @02:57AM (#298196)
  • everywhere with morrissey. you just need to mention him in a song or borrow a song for a band name and he's on your side - ordinary boys, girl in a coma, courteneers, that fall out boy guy who had the morrissey poster in his promo photo (if i rememeber it right)... i am going to start a band called Southpaw Grandma..., rockin' chair rockabilly and smiths style songs. think cordell jackson meets gene. i will start it, he will come. southpaw grandma will be the next tour support.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday March 11 2008, @04:02AM (#298199)
  • Oasis 2.0.1
    Anonymous -- Tuesday March 11 2008, @06:53AM (#298201)
  • Mozza, Mark Ronson, Kaiser Chiefs and Nick Cave are spotted watching White Lies at ACTH…
    Loads of A-List music stars turned up to a Camden club night to check out hot new group White Lies on Friday night.

Morrissey, Mark Ronson and Kaiser Chiefs were all spotted at Adventures Close To Home in the Barfly venue.

Also in attendance were members of Maccabees and Cajun Dance Party as well as comedian Matt Horne and legend Nick Cave.

ACTH hosts nights across the capital and has had acts like The Gossip, Spank Rock, CSS and Black Kids playing live way before reaching the mainstream
    Anonymous -- Tuesday March 11 2008, @07:05AM (#298203)
  • Moz, ah moz... but to someone who said it was flattery that got you everywhere with Moz, think of this:

His music - It's his LIFE'S work. By and large, he doesn't exist anywhere else, not really.

So if someone wants to pay homage, OF COURSE he's going to accept them, and like them. I think it's because he thinks they 'understand' - and he wants to have a legacy that lives ON! (Which he will. But, still...)

why do i love moz so much? sigh. blegh...
    Anonymous -- Tuesday March 11 2008, @07:50AM (#298208)
    • Re:Aw Moz by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday March 11 2008, @08:40AM
  • I see their new single features a B-Side entitled "Smiths Disco".
    Anonymous -- Tuesday March 11 2008, @08:02AM (#298210)
  • Pleasant in an Oasis / Libertine tribute band.

Lyrics for "What took you so long"

You spend too much time sat in your bedroom, on your PC
    Are you sure you couldn't have found the time, swallowed your pride and admitted your jealousy
    Next week you'll trying again to put one of my city's many front men
    If you do not have the internet, would you be into them
    I very much doubt so how would they know so

What took you so long, was there a queue at the post office
    What took you so long, was there a dirty double-decker stagecoach, you just happened to miss

Sometimes I'm bad, sometimes I'm rotten, sometimes I say things I probably, should have forgotten about people or things
    Do you know who I am, I'm like a Morrissey with some strings

What took you so long, was there a dirty double-decker stagecoach, you just happened to miss

You're always bad, you're always rotten and you always say things that, you should forgotten or have you had enough
    Of your stereotypical bit of the rough

And then we all go...

Anonymous -- Tuesday March 11 2008, @08:13AM (#298211)
  • It would appear that Stephen Street is/ has produced their new ablum
    Anonymous -- Tuesday March 11 2008, @09:14AM (#298217)
  • the singer liam fray writes the lyrics and music, i have seen the band live, they are really good, young, and have plenty of catchy songs, good lyrics also, liam fray was doing gigs on his own for a while, then decided to start a band, they have had 3 singles out, cavorting (very ltd), acrylic, what took you so long, the next single is out 31st march - not 19 forever, with debut album out a week later - st.jude, i wish them the very best of luck in the future, cheers
    Anonymous -- Tuesday March 11 2008, @11:16AM (#298226)
  • I can't believe Morrissey is endorsing this shite. What is going on?
    playboys -- Saturday March 15 2008, @01:49PM (#298487)
    (User #21035 Info | http://passionsjustlikemine.wordpress.com/)
  • but I went to their myspace and found them better than expected considering the comments above.

They know how to put a tune together. Have to concentrate to hear the words, which is tiring, so thanks for the above lyrics. Think the singer's voice is weedy and he needs to develop a more individual style.

I'd say they have more potential than many bands going at present. And you can hear Morrissey's influence in the misanthropic attitude.

Anonymous -- Sunday March 16 2008, @03:39AM (#298502)
  • really poor....by the way if you want to know more an extensive review with exclusive pictures of them will appear tonight on liveon35mm.com [wordpress.com]
    Anonymous -- Friday May 02 2008, @08:23AM (#301969)

[ home | terms of service ]