posted by davidt on Monday March 10 2008, @11:00AM
Fran sends the link:

Hawksley Workman Appreciates Morrissey's Fat Stomach

Friday March 07, 2008 @ 05:00 PM
By: ChartAttack.com Staff

At the ripe old age of 33, Hawksley Workman is beginning to feel just a little over the hill for popular music.

"I don't want to sound old, but when the voice of American pop music is coming out of teenaged mouths, I can't help but feel very... separate from that," he says. "I think the other thing, too, everybody says that everybody made their best record when they were 24, you know what I mean? There's this sense that you're past your prime. I don't like that. That sucks."

But while it's unlikely that Canada's favourite cabaret pop stylist will ever compete with the Hannah Montanas or even the Justin Timberlakes of the world, Workman has hope for the future thanks to the likes of Bruce Cockburn, Neil Young and Leonard Cohen.

"Bruce is in his fifties, Neil's in his sixties and Cohen's in his seventies," Workman elaborates. "And I was like, 'These guys are still poignant, they're still sexy, they're still cool, they still are hip.'

"And this, for me, speaks... not because I think like an 80 year old, but it speaks to me because when pop culture is parading around the 16 year old of the moment on TV — and this is who I'm competing against, this is who I share airtime with in my business — and I think I don't have a hope. I'll never be that beautiful anymore and I'll never be all these things anymore. I'll never look as vital when the camera's rolling in front of a fancy car, or whatever. But it's nice to feel like there's relevance in moving forward."

The singer also finds comfort in watching rock stars grow older. Far from being horrified that they no longer look like their 20-something selves, he revels in the growth of a waistline and a shrinking hairline.

"Rock 'n' roll has always been a youth industry, but it's been fractured and reassembled in a more saccharine way now than it ever was, I think — which is too bad. I like seeing people age. I'm really starting to enjoy it. I like seeing Morrissey with a gut and, when he takes his shirt off, his gut's hanging out. And I'm like, 'Yeah, all right. Morrissey's got a gut!' This feels good to me. Peter Murphy's losing his hair. That feels good to me. Robert Smith is twice the size he used to be. I like all this. It feels like the permission to be human."
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Classic! :))

So who would win in a heavy weight fight between Morrissey at 245 lbs or Robert at 300 lbs?

It would be an interesting fight.
    Anonymous -- Monday March 10 2008, @12:09PM (#298144)
  • You know, it wasn't said in this manner, but it's pretty savvy of an artist, particularly one just outside the mainstream, to mention Morrissey in an interview. Free promotion on morrissey-solo.com every time! I just found myself spending the last fifteen minutes checking out this guy's site.
    Anonymous -- Monday March 10 2008, @01:53PM (#298153)
  • Workman opened for Morrissey at the last minute in Hamilton in 2001-2. He's written two of the best songs in pop history: "Even An Ugly Man," and "Smoke Baby."
    Nick The Name -- Monday March 10 2008, @02:14PM (#298154)
    (User #20764 Info)
    • Re:Hm. by Derek (Score:1) Monday March 10 2008, @02:47PM
      • Re:Hm. by Nick The Name (Score:1) Tuesday March 11 2008, @12:33AM
  • Having been at the front of the most recent gigs, I think Moz is positvely slimline for a man approaching the 50 mark. The old cliche, the camera adds pounds, is a truism, that's why these size 0 models knocking at death's door don't look as underweight as they are in the magazines.
    And I saw The Cure live not too long ago ... sorry to disappoint the 'Fat Bob' brigade, but Mr Smith ain't all that big when you get close up. Judging by the older male members of my family, and my sport A-level, he's certainly not much over 200lbs, which makes Morrissey about 170-180 pounds.
    It's interesting how it's always members of the same sex who are likely to be critical, or even just mention someone's weight. The only time I've noticed members of the opposite sex criticise is when they're terribly embarrassed about fancying said overweight/underweight person, or they're sending some sort of message to their partner ... heaven knows what that message is, but it could be "I hope you end up / don't end up looking like that".
    Hey ho, I guess we'll continue to try to bring those in the public eye down to our level to make ourselves feel better about our sad, plebian, chocolate stuffing existences.... now, pass me that copy of Heat magazine, I want to scribble on Kate Moss's face.
    Mozzersgirl -- Monday March 10 2008, @03:11PM (#298160)
    (User #14229 Info)
    "There's more evil in the charts than in an al-Qaeda suggestion box" - Bill Bailey
  • Morrissey AND Neil Young mentioned in the same article. Brilliant!
    TheLoner -- Monday March 10 2008, @04:16PM (#298166)
    (User #21011 Info)
    Don't Talk To Me About People Who Are Nice, 'Cause I Have Spent My Whole Life In Ruins Because Of People Who Are Nice
  • This guy is the equivalent of a big fat HOT AIR balloon with a canadian maple leaf and a peace sign on either side. He is the epitome of someone who merely does everything against the mainstream in their "art" and throes in a whopping dose of extraordinarily cliched eccentricity in order to make it "Original"- Awful voice, not much of a frontman-

And dont get me started on his emails, erm "newsletters", just overflowing with every crap metaphor ever penned and usually lots over the top Nature refrences.."the snowy stillness has pushed up against the solitude of my weary door and I notice the seeds of spring begin to burst in the darkness of my soul..." BLAH BLAH BLAH-

Write a hit and then come back to me-

Anonymous -- Tuesday March 11 2008, @02:54AM (#298195)
  • I think he's probably about 6 ft tall, so he probably weighs about 220 pounds judging by his thick frame and chubby tummy.

Robert Smith on the other hand probably only weighs a little more, maybe 240 - 250 pounds. He only looks fatter because he's shorter than Morrissey but in theory they're both over 200 pounds easily.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday March 11 2008, @06:58AM (#298202)
  • A few inches just gives some people a load of lard to talk about, mmm ?...
    Mrs. Woolf -- Tuesday March 11 2008, @07:43AM (#298206)
    (User #14157 Info)
  • totally agree with hawksley's assessment. pop culture's pretty schizo. you can only sell bubblegum to teenagers but 'adults' (like myself at 37) don't have a problem with our rockers being older if they sound good and are still making good music.

peter gabriel's best disc is his latest IMO. James Taylor - same thing. Tom Waits is more interesting now than when he started.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday March 11 2008, @01:11PM (#298236)
  • and i would like make sex explosion on morrissey's stomach!
    Anonymous -- Thursday March 13 2008, @11:37AM (#298354)
  • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]