posted by davidt on Friday March 07 2008, @01:00PM
Scarlet Ibis writes:
(Don't Taunt) The Reaper: 26 tempting but inappropriate funeral songs - The A.V. Club

The Smiths at number 22

22. The Smiths, "I Know It's Over"
"Oh mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head," wails our man Morrissey in one of The Smiths' finest, saddest moments. Your goth girlfriend might want this one played at her funeral, but relatives won't be comfortable with the imagery—or the moaning. Sure, they want to give you a proper burial, but they don't want to picture dirt covering your lifeless body. Not for you, my love. Not tonight, my love.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • It is always better to hear good music than taking drugs instead. Moz is better than any drug.

Leonel Jacobo.
    Anonymous -- Friday March 07 2008, @01:06PM (#297974)
  • Never 'got it' that I Know It's Over was a suicide song. It always sounded like a transcendent vindication of Love and Life to me.

The AV article keeps crashing Firefox, so can't be arsed to read in depth. From what I read it seems a bit of a strained collage of songs to mash up on the theme of funerals. And leave E out of it....His songs about his family are beyond any such flippancy. Ditto anything by Elliot Smith. Leonard Cohen, Nick Drake, Jeff Buckley. Anyone who's ever seriously or humorously written about Death.

Morrissey's funeral, if it ever happens, will surely be along the lines of a traditional Irish Wake with a good old knees up with everyone dancing along to his bar-room 'celebrate a life lived' favourites, like.....erm........um....help me out on this one!

Sing me to sleep......They missed the obvious floor-filler 'Death' by Klaus Nomi.

My choice when I'm lowered into the cold dark pit will be 'Those Were The Days Of Our Lives' by Queen. No: I'm not joking. It's simply one of the great missed songs ever written. In fact, I think I'll make it the 'opening song' when I step on stage 20/12 2012 AD.....if not sooner!

"these days: only a fool doesn't look beyond appearances"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOJPvxgkvn8&feature =related

BrummieBoy -- Friday March 07 2008, @02:36PM (#297981)
    (User #11602 Info)
    sig cancelled
  • And while attending the funeral where this is played, you must shout from the back of the hall "Don't be so stupid! Leave him alone you stupid idiot! Leave him"
    GarethKeenan -- Friday March 07 2008, @04:37PM (#297990)
    (User #11791 Info)
    • Re:Shout-out by HeliotropX (Score:1) Friday March 07 2008, @07:16PM
    • Re:Shout-out by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday March 07 2008, @07:25PM
  • ...I've always said I wanted them to play "Death of a Disco Dancer."
    JoelWhy -- Sunday March 09 2008, @10:25AM (#298099)
    (User #10516 Info)
  • Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now always seems a bit presumptious.
    I want There Is A Light played at mine...unless I've been smashed into by a double-decker bus or a ten-ton truck of course. Then it would simply be tasteless.
    The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get. I see dead people...
    Reensie -- Monday March 10 2008, @03:12AM (#298124)
    (User #20863 Info)

[ home | terms of service ]