posted by davidt on Saturday March 01 2008, @02:00PM
goinghome writes:
It was Uncle Skinny/Peter who set me on the trail of the current edition, released today, of Hot Press, Irish music magazine, by his mention of a rumoured review on the forums of Morrissey’s Greatest Hits album therein. I hardly dare compete with Peter’s revered scanner, but needs must!

This exuberant almost surreal ode of righteous (and gloriously riotous) appreciation take up about half of page 95, and features both the picture on the album cover, plus a merge into that of Morrissey eating ice-cream as on the single sleeve for ‘In the Future when All’s Well’, with ‘Modern Life is War’ scrawled on the wall behind him.

The headline is ‘Mozza Superior’ – Morrissey, Greatest Hits, Universal: Ten/Ten.

- Have a little respect. This is Morrissey. He’s a musical institution and I’m damned if I’m going to give him less than ten out of ten. He’s a true blue hero and you’re getting no fancy liberal revisionism from me. The freedoms we enjoy today are because of the likes of Morrissey – that golden generation who fermented indie music in a big vat of Thatcherism, post-punk and cardigans. He fought in the indie wars of the late ‘80s so that we could sit around listening to Interpol and reading Naomi Klein and going to art school and having ridiculous haircuts, all without a care in the world. Today’s indie music stars are insects dwarfed by the man’s musical vision.

Some things Morrissey did:
He designed the electric guitar.
He saved the Queen’s life and then had a cup of Earl Grey with her and the corgis.
He invented toast.
He invented ‘Englishness’.

A more disrespectful reviewer might point out that this album is skewed heavily towards his (patchy) later career, that maybe there could have been more from ‘Vauxhall And I’ (his best solo album, released around the time he discovered stem cells in the mid ‘90s) and that live albums are easy (there’s a free live CD).
But that reviewer has forgotten that if it wasn’t for Morrissey, Thatcher would still be in power and he’d have nothing to listen to except the Band Aid single. And this record features evidence of his Mozjesty’s greatness – gems like ‘First Of The Gang To Die’, Every Day Is Like Sunday’ and The More You Ignore Me’. And the two new songs (‘That’s How People Grow Up’ and ‘All You Need Is Me’) may not be classics but by the standards of some of today’s young whippersnappers they’re bloody good.
So, have a little respect.
PATRICK FREYNE -
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Only in Dublin can one expect to find objective, balanced reportage these days. This review shows commendable objectivity and restraint. Unlike this squalid piece of meretricious trash:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin -myers/time-to-speak-out-about-the-hypocrisy-of-ga y-freedoms-1301141.html

To which I, naturally replied:

"What drivel!

The age of consent for both sexes, and all sexualities in many countries is 14. Even casual research would reveal that to anyone interested in a balanced appraisal of Peter Tatchell's views.

You are, indeed, a homophobe of the most boringly obvious variety. It would appear you are also not a very worldly man! If you were, you would know that there's no variety of sexual escapade performed by MSM (men who have sex with men) which Het men don't also enjoy. Perhaps it's time for you to enjoy a strap-on and get in touch with your prostate gland?

Whether Oscar was exploiting the Rough Trade lads as he 'dined with panthers' can only be made clear by discussing the transaction with those involved. Rather difficult at this stage. You make no mention of Lad's stag flights to Tallinn or business class exploits in Bangkok to balance your anti-gay opprobrium.

As for 'gay cruising? No 'dogging' in Dublin? ROFLOL! Straights always copy Queer culture from Becks to the bedroom."

As I said in my email to Mr Tatchell: I wonder why they didn't print it. Thank God I'm not censored here!

Regards.

BrummieBoy -- Saturday March 01 2008, @03:17PM (#297573)
    (User #11602 Info)
    sig cancelled
  • Patrick Freyne is right about a few things. I didn't dare to count as I only have one finger.

Yet he ventures out into dangerous territory: yes, our very own personal freedom fighter has faught, won and lost, and still fights on. Respect, indeed.

But while he used to stick to his guns, and carved in all of us a bit of conscience using his lyrical Stanley knife, nowadays, the M of Manchester is using bazookas.

If I have to die (some argue I already did, or never lived - they have a point), I prefer to meet the whitehot part of the blade. Instead of the distant voice of shrieking shrapnels.

I don't like it when someone like Morrissey has to be shown respect because what he currently does, is still better than what is currently going on - even if it is nowhere near what he's earned his respect for.

That's a sad end. I respect Morrissey, The Smiths for what they have done, and no I'm not respecting Morrissey for releasing his "Greatest Hits" album. Why should I?

That album is not a measure to base your respect on. Sorry. It's a handy commercial release. Why can't anyone just state the obvious? It will bring some cash to fund the upcoming album. Or whatever. Fine; that's how the world works. OK - no big deal. But no big halo either.

I'm getting very tired (you'll notice) of this "show your dedication for Morrissey" kind of hype. I'm not interested in perpetuating a Morrissey infatuation just for the sake of keeping it going. If the music Morrissey makes no longer appeals to me, that will be the end of it. And so be it.

It won't mean I wouldn't be able to respect Morrissey for what he has done, but PUH-LEASE don't ask anyone to respect Morrissey because what he's doing is a bit better than average nowadays. That's sad.

Feel free to respect Morrissey for what he's done in The Smiths, and in the better part of his solo career. But based on the release of the "Greatest Hits" compilation?

Come on.
    MILVA -- Sunday March 02 2008, @04:44AM (#297628)
    (User #12729 Info)
    no previous convictions
  • a chronological tracklisting, which, I think, gives one a real feeling for the Smiths and Morrissey. I listen to this most days on my walkman.

Handsome Devil
    How Soon Is Now
    The Queen Is Dead (live, rank)
    Paint a Vulgar Picture
    Suedehead
    Everyday Is Like Sunday
    TLOTFIPBs
    Seasick Yet Still Docked (beethoven, live)
    Whatever Happens, I Love You
    Spring-Heeled Jim
    Lost
    Irish Blood, English Heart
    FOTGTD (live from Move festival)
    Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice (Peel version)
    Dear God Please Help Me
    I Will See You In Far-Off Places

broken.. for your convenience...

Anonymous -- Tuesday March 04 2008, @11:10AM (#297733)
  • This review is right on the money in portraying Morrissey as the living legend he is (not to mention a fairly handsome chap, for his age).

Morrissey certainly changed his life. Had it not been for Morrissey's hyper-masculinity, I would never have found confidence as a gay man to admit my sexuality and yet also to acknowledge one can be gay and very manly.

Indeed, these days, I love to show as much body hair as possible, thanks to morrissey; and I also adore bodybuilding.

Anon.

PS all the crazed worms who drove my friend paul from this site will one day find themselves living in deepest hell.

Anonymous -- Tuesday March 04 2008, @11:22AM (#297734)

[ home | terms of service ]