posted by davidt on Saturday March 01 2008, @02:00PM
goinghome writes:
Journalist Paul Linford has a blog where he’s recently been pondering on the music that most evokes Englishness. His list, posted on 15th February, includes "William It was Really Nothing" by The Smiths.

The quintessence of Englishness
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • This is far from the first claim that Morrissey has contributed to the public record of a comprehension of what it is to be English. More flippantly, Patrick Freyne decrees that Morrissey single-handedly invented Englishness. This blog puts Morrissey’s role in a more realistic context, that he is one of a number of pop singers who have managed to capture what has generally been felt to be the English spirit. To this could be added representatives from the other arts, especially literature, and other customs and practices reflecting the ‘quintessence’. It is a fairly topical theme.

Here are some quotes from interviews with a bearing on the question -

Q: You're still mourning the death of Englishness on this record.
    Well aren't I always? That's just me. It's a part of my overall psyche. It's not unique to this record. I supposed a few years ago I would have spoken more morosely about this great, dying tradition. Well, now it has died. This is the debris, now.
    Q: What exactly do you think has died?
    Basic identity.
    Q: Do we need a war to re-establish our identity?
    I think we already have one. I don't want to be European. I want England to remain an island. I think part of the greatness of the past has been the fact that England has been an island. I don't want the tunnel. I don't want sterling to disappear. I don't want British newscasters to talk in American accents. I don't want continental television. But that doesn't mean that I'm some great twit who lives in a hut and eats straw. I'm not a thing from another age. (laughs) I'm actually quite modern in some respects. But there' s no hope of anyone marching around Westminster with... well you complete the sentence.

From 1992 Q interview: http://motorcycleaupairboy.com/interviews/1992/isa y.htm

Q: Have you ever been to a Yate's Wine Lodge ?
    M: Yes, there was one in Manchester in the old days full of drunken men in overcoats with sick on their lapels. I like pubs; they're one of the last bastions of Englishness. I like quiet old men's pubs. I mean, I like the pubs to be quiet not the old men.

From 1992 Q interview: http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~moz/quotes/qsep1995. htm

KC:So why do people still cling to nationality if it’s so problematic? Why do people want to feel proud of being whatever nationality they are?
    M: Because here is the spot where you were born and where you live and where you continue to live. Where you build your life. And it’s inconvenient to feel shame towards that. I mean, we all like to feel as if we’re living in a fairly decent place. And we all like to feel pride if we can. But then unfortunately there is the monarchy. But perhaps for not much longer.”

From 2004 Interview with Keith Cameron, Mojo.

“I abhor racism and oppression or cruelty of any kind and will not let this pass without being absolutely clear and emphatic with regard to what my position is.
    Racism is beyond common sense and I believe it has no place in our society.”

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2007/12/morrisse y_responds.html , and www.true-to-you.net .
    goinghome -- Sunday March 02 2008, @06:06AM (#297632)
    (User #12673 Info)

[ home | terms of service ]